FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Food for tailgaiting, limited cook times
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mahoney86

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07 12 10:48 pm    Post subject: Food for tailgaiting, limited cook times Reply with quote

A fellow business friend of mine has a bunch of season tickets for football this year, they tailgate pretty hard with a DJ, generators, food, etc... They have a BBQ guy they get food from but they order it in advance, have it cooked the day before and pick up the finished BBQ the night before the game. My buddy then just reheats the food on the grill at the game. So once he found out I was into BBQ he offered me a season ticket if I would handle the BBQ. So since I am in the market for a larger smoker/trailer smoker I figure awesome why not, Ill just cook at the game. Only problem is I find out you are only allowed to be on the stadium ground 5hrs before kick off. They are normally waiting at the gates, but I figure by the time coals are hot, grill is setup I have about 4hours to kick off, now add it cook time, eat time, clean up time. Im really limited to 3hrs of cook time, it could be more but I prefer to think worst case scenario.

I know I can pull off a ton of ABTs, Pork Candy, etc in no time. But what about ribs, or chicken? He loves my brisket and pulled pork sammies, but that seems pretty much out of the question unless I cook it the night before. Ive never seen people talk about hot dogs or burgers on a smoker, but I would think it would be possible right?

Anytips from the seasoned veterans of tailgate bbq?
Mr Tony's BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07 12 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cook your brisket or butt, wrap in foil, put in 2.5 gal siptop available at wallyworld, put into cooler full of ice to quick cool. Put entire butt or brisket on HOT smoker for about 2 hrs [300-350°] in foil, not bag Embarassed
I know people who will do ribs just short of where they like them [ fall off bone etc] quick cool, [ ice bag thing] then grill to heat - sauce etc then.... sorry, my sideways N stopped working.....
Being Blessed with income from my passion!
WWW.MRTONYSBBQ.COM
N8DCJ
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08 12 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry off topic a little here...

Tony to assist you with the Z key you are missing , (using the number pad) hold down the ALT key and type 90 , this will give you a cap Z , for a lower case it is ALT 122...

good luck to both of you ....

Dan

p.s. this is for a PC , I am sure three is a similar hack for a Mac
masoncat1
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08 12 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Mr. Tony's BBQ nailed it for you. I've seen people bring in iced meats that were "near done" for tailgating as well.

Just another reason why I love College Football. We usually setup our tailgating the night before game day.
Mr Tony's BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08 12 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zz...cool! Thanks!! How about question mark....those two and left arrow just croaked a couple days ago... Evil or Very Mad

Sorry about the diversion too, but a must Embarassed Shocked
WWW.MRTONYSBBQ.COM
texoak51
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08 12 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Tony's BBQ wrote:
Cook your brisket or butt, wrap in foil, put in 2.5 gal siptop available at wallyworld, put into cooler full of ice to quick cool. Put entire butt or brisket on HOT smoker for about 2 hrs [300-350°] in foil, not bag Embarassed
I know people who will do ribs just short of where they like them [ fall off bone etc] quick cool, [ ice bag thing] then grill to heat - sauce etc then.... sorry, my sideways N stopped working.....
Mr Tony, just curious, What is the reason for quick cooling versus normal cool down. Learning minds need to know. Thanks
masoncat1
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08 12 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

texoak51 wrote:
Mr Tony, just curious, What is the reason for quick cooling versus normal cool down. Learning minds need to know. Thanks

Not to speak for Mr. Tony, but I would assume that if you "shock" the meat quickly with ice, it will prevent the meat from cooking any further so that your meat is not overdone when you decide to reheat it.

If you cool it slowly, the inside of the meat will continue to cook for a while.
Mr Tony's BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08 12 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not only the continue to cook, but more even importantly, getting the meat below the safe Zone [ 41°] in as quick as possible to prevent everyone from running to the porta-potty before kickoff!! Critters love them some BBQ too, microscopic, amoeba like critters that is..Booo-Yah, got my Z goin on!!!...lol
Thanks N8DCJ!!
There is a timetable set by gov that most, if not every state adheres too, one of very few gov interventions I approve of
Wink 40° - 140° is ideal "get you sick" meat temps, so as little time as possible there will keep everyone enjoying the game!
http://www.fsis.usda.gov/FACTSheets/How_Temperatures_Affect_Food/index.asp
WWW.MRTONYSBBQ.COM
Playmaker88
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08 12 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its really easier to do brisket and PP on a different day and reheat. Frankly you want to enjoy the tailgate too and not be working the whole time. As far as ribs and chicken...get a Weber kettle and grill them with some wood chips. Grilled ribs rock and dont take long when you keep the rack size @ or below 3lbs. Plus you can grill dogs, burgers, and veggies as you like. Enjoy your season, that sounds like a heck of a deal!
Weber Kettle
WSM 22
Playmaker88
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08 12 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also a WSM works great for tailgates. It breaks down so its easy to transport and you can let it smoke while you are in the game...For the most part you can trust it maintain a range of temp if the wind isnt kicked up.
Weber Kettle
WSM 22
corndog
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09 12 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Playmaker88 wrote:

Quote:
Also a WSM works great for tailgates. It breaks down so its easy to transport and you can let it smoke while you are in the game...For the most part you can trust it maintain a range of temp if the wind isnt kicked up.

Also, w/ the WSM, take the water pan out and you can smoke some baby backs in a few hrs easy, or beer butt chicken...fajitas and such are easy too...

Dang it boy, that's some mighty fine eatin'!!!!
Mahoney86

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14 12 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all of the advice.

Ok so this Sunday kick off is 1pm. We will be setting up at 8am in the parking lot. I am thinking I will cook my brisket and pork butt during the day on saturday. Once at cooking temp I will wrap in foil and put in a cooler filled with bags of ice for an hour or so. Then I will put them in the refridgerator over night.

Ribs I will cook just shy of being done and do the same foil and ice routine.

ABTs I will have prepped and ready to go saturday night, I will put these on the smoker about 30min before ribs go on so we can all have appetizers. Ill put the ribs, brisket, pork butt on the smoker at around 1030 and cook for 2hrs at 300* and should be able to pull them off at 12 which gives everyone and hour to eat.

Now the ABTs I normally smoke for 2hrs at 215, since the smoker will be reheating all of the meat at 300* I will probably end up only having the ABTs on for about 1hr I would think right?

How does this plan sound? Any more tips? I am almost feeling that not much smoking will be going on, so maybe my soon to be investment in a trailer unit might not be worth it since most of the smoking will be at home?
Megla
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14 12 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually cook the night before starting at 11pm for butts and around 3am for Ribs. Pull off the WSM at 7-730am and place in this

http://www.equippers.com/shop/product-detail.aspx?ret=1&pcid=14&scid=10111&pid=10338

Then when I get to my tailgate spot I get my fire going and finish. You can do this with just about any meat/hot side, the warmer will keep temp for around 5 hours.
Mahoney86

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14 12 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you guys trust your smokers overnight like that? I feel like my Brinnkman vertical propane runs out of water in 30min and then the wood chips smolder hotter and hotter and add to heat and next thing you know its 350-400* in there if you dont keep an eye on it every 30min. All the reason why I need to get a better smoker
Megla
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14 12 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mahoney86 wrote:
you guys trust your smokers overnight like that? I feel like my Brinnkman vertical propane runs out of water in 30min and then the wood chips smolder hotter and hotter and add to heat and next thing you know its 350-400* in there if you dont keep an eye on it every 30min. All the reason why I need to get a better smoker

Oh yea, I dont use water, I use playground sand in the waterpan covered by multiple layers of foil. Using the minion method and a half chimney of light coals I can set my WSMs and feel comfortable that they will cook at 225-250 for 6 or 7 hours unattended.
Mr Tony's BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14 12 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mahoney86 wrote:
Thanks for all of the advice.

Ok so this Sunday kick off is 1pm. We will be setting up at 8am in the parking lot. I am thinking I will cook my brisket and pork butt during the day on saturday. Once at cooking temp I will wrap in foil and put in a cooler filled with bags of ice for an hour or so. Then I will put them in the refridgerator over night.

Ribs I will cook just shy of being done and do the same foil and ice routine.

ABTs I will have prepped and ready to go saturday night, I will put these on the smoker about 30min before ribs go on so we can all have appetizers. Ill put the ribs, brisket, pork butt on the smoker at around 1030 and cook for 2hrs at 300* and should be able to pull them off at 12 which gives everyone and hour to eat.

Now the ABTs I normally smoke for 2hrs at 215, since the smoker will be reheating all of the meat at 300* I will probably end up only having the ABTs on for about 1hr I would think right?

How does this plan sound? Any more tips? I am almost feeling that not much smoking will be going on, so maybe my soon to be investment in a trailer unit might not be worth it since most of the smoking will be at home?

Just dont rely on the 1 hour to cool the meat, I have ziplocked and put in cooler with LOTS of ice, left there the entire night - putting a HOT piece of meat in your fridge can ruin all the food in your fridge!
WWW.MRTONYSBBQ.COM
1buckie
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14 12 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mahoney86 wrote:

Yes, I trust my cookers overnight like that.....kettles

Used ones are cheap, sometimes free & with a little practice you can do basically whatever you want.....

Once a month (or more) I do approx. the same as your intentions for the tailgating party
& it all comes out just peachy !!! Very Happy

PS: I hot hold the bigger stuff, as opposed to chilling down, but either way works....
Whatever you're most comfortable with !!!
It's gonna say on my tombstone: Died of thick, heavy sauces ~~~~>K
" The Creepy Guy Down the Street With All The Webers"
JimH
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14 12 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Tony's BBQ wrote:

OK, I'm showing my age but Whoops, there it is! You even may want to slightly undercook the ribs and finish on the grill. Beans as a side, women love beans.
Mahoney86

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14 12 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I am looking at a few other smokers today so more than likely I will be bringing a new smoker home today.

Regardless until I get the handle on it I don't feel too comfortable with leaving the smoker running through the night as I have no desire to ruin a few hundred bucks of meat.

So here is my plan please critique. They want 3 types of meat (PP, Brisket and Ribs). I used SoEzzys calculator and pretty much left the portion weights etc the same as I will also be cooking a few hot dogs and hamburgers.

There will be 15guys at the game. They normally stay after the game as well.

7.5lb Boston butt for PP
6.5lb Brisket
8 racks of of St Louis Cut Ribs

Personally that sounds like an awful lot of ribs, that is pretty much a half of a rack (5-6bones approx) or is it really not that much? I always seem to run out of ribs quickly

Butt will be roughly 11hrs +/- to cook
Brisket will be roughly 7.5hrs to cook
Ribs are around 5hrs

So id like to get the butt on Saturday morning at 6am and cook til 6pm. Brisket will go on 9:30am til around 6pm and ribs will go on between 12-1pm and finish around 6pm.

After this everything is foiled tightly and put into a cooler full of bags of ice and left over night. I will take everything out of the cooler at 6am when I am loading up. Head up to the game with the smoker fire it up so we are nice and warm by 9am which I will put the ribs, brisket and butt on the smoker for 2hrs at 300*. I will pull them off at 11am and let them rest in their foil until 12pm and then cut up and eat
Mahoney86

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18 12 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well surprisingly all went pretty for a first attempt.

Cooked the ribs for 4 hours at home and then doubled foiled with a little apple cider, cooked the pork butt to 200* and doubled foiled with apple cider. 4 bags of ice in a cooler and layered all of the meat in it over night.

Game day fired up the smoker and smoked 36 ABTs and 30 Pork shots and then onto the meat. Unfortunately I forgot my cooking grates so everything was cooked on the bottom of the the smoker layered in foil. Probably the best pork butt I have ever done, the ribs were great inside but the bark was a bit too crunch for me probably due to being cooked on the bottom of the smoker but they went over really well.

Here is a picture during the initial cook. THanks for all of the help everyone especially TonysBBQ for all the PM advice!
[/img]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: