FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cold Cut vs Band Saw

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pyronoel
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07 12 3:52 am    Post subject: Cold Cut vs Band Saw Reply with quote

Looking for opinions....

I've used both of these tools a few times, like them both... time for me to buy one. But I can't decide witch to get. They are pretty much the same price

Opinions?
I need something to cut the miles of angle and flat stock for this trailer. I vowed after the last build I was done with that slow & messy abrasive saw.

Milwaukee 14" Cold Cut saw is $405, free shipping, no tax.

http://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-6190-20-14-Inch-Cutoff-Machine/dp/B00023S336/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1331062971&sr=8-1

Band Saw is $370 + tax

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100675229/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=metal%20saw&storeId=10051
gandrfab

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07 12 4:05 am    Post subject: Re: Cold Cut vs Band Saw Reply with quote

pyronoel wrote:

Milwaukee 14" Cold Cut saw is $405, free shipping, no tax.

http://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-6190-20-14-Inch-Cutoff-Machine/dp/B00023S336/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1331062971&sr=8-1

Is not a cold cut saw, all the cold cut saws I have seen run in a oil bath.
I think this might be the better option for versatility.
You could even set it up to work as a small vertical band saw.
pyronoel wrote:

Band Saw is $370 + tax

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100675229/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=metal%20saw&storeId=10051
GF
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07 12 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pyronoel, tough call.
The cold cut would be better for cutting everything to length, but I think the bandsaw would make coping the joints easier.
As you already have a abrasive chop saw, I'd lean toward a bandsaw.
BWTFDIK.
Good luck. Very Happy
Blazer
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07 12 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pyronoel, I've got that same bandsaw it's the same one harbor freight sell's. It's ok for small stuff and i have cut some 4'' channel,angle,ect. The base is flimsy and it's a pita to change the vise to cut angles. Also I think 370$ might be a little high. Very Happy
TrailerBuilder
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07 12 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are just my thoughts, but if your going to spend the money and buy a bandsaw, step up and buy one that has a cooling system on it and a good platform. The one on the link below is the one I bought 6 years ago and have had great luck with it, mine is actually a I use mine heavily and I change blades maybe 3 or 4 times a year. I cut alot of tubing and what I like about this saw is that I can cut 8 2x2 pieces of square tube at one time. Makes a big job go fast. Its more money, but well worth it in time spent.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/7-x-12-Geared-Head-Metal-Cutting-Bandsaw/G9743

This one is a lot cheaper but still a good bandsaw for the money spent.
http://www.grizzly.com/products/6-1-2-x-9-1-2-Metal-Cutting-Bandsaw/G4030

No matter which way you go on a bandsaw, dont buy the cheap blades for them, spend the money and get a good bi-metal blade, you will get literally hundreds more cuts out of the bi metal compared to the cheaper steel blades.

I have a Dewalt dry saw and I love it. I dont use it as much as I do my bandsaw but like it when I just have 1 or 2 small cuts to make while working on a project. I have a buddy who has the Milwaukee saw and Ive used his quite a bit as well helping him with projects. Both saws really work about the same and are easy to use. Blades are expensive to replace but you can find a blade sharpening service and reuse a blade for quite some time.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/DW872-Heavy-Duty-14-Multi-Cutter-Saw/H4370

Good luck in whatever you choose. After using either tool, you will wonder why you used the abrasive saw and dealt with all the noise for as long as you did Laughing

JM2CW
Fire Pit
gandrfab

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07 12 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrailerBuilder wrote:
No matter which way you go on a bandsaw, dont buy the cheap blades for them, spend the money and get a good bi-metal blade, you will get literally hundreds more cuts out of the bi metal compared to the cheaper steel blades.

Very true you could have the best machine that is made, but if you cutting edge is week it is still a POS.
And you can have a cheap machine with a great cutting edge.
GF
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07 12 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pyronoel, I apologize for answering you without checking the link first, I thought you were refering to a porta-band. Embarassed
k.a.m.
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07 12 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pyronoel, I love my Milwaukee cold cut. ( it is referred to as a cold cut because you can handle the piece almost immediately after cutting). The problem you will run into is blade cost they are not cheap. I run three blades and have a blade sharpening company sharpen my blades. The sharpening runs about 35.00 a blade. New blades run around 100.00 and depending on your cuts and thickness you will wear one out fast. I prefer the Dewalt 70 tooth titanium blades. I have a porta-band for coping as well as an abrasive 14" saw but the cuts between the Milwaukee and the abrasive are night and day.
I hope this helps. Smile

Reverse Flow
Hybrid Cooker
pyronoel
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09 12 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the input.

After a little reading, I've seen multiple reviews of the home depot band saw being the same junk as HF.

I think I'm going to lean towards either the Milwaukee or the Dewalt Coldcut saw.
TrailerBuilder
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12 12 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pyronoel, your not too far from Springfield, Grizzly has a huge tent sale the first Saturday in June I believe is when it is. Scratch and dent sale basically. My bandsaw was $1800 new, it was missing the running gear, the lower shelf had a dent and some scracthed paint and the fan shroud on the motor was dented and paint scrached. Worked just fine, they tested it and had documentation of the test. I paid $750 cash for it. My word of advice would be to make sure you get there early, the place is packed! I go every year, there are some great deals on equiptment. I save my money til that weekend!! Laughing
Fire Pit
Rocko-la
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12 12 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Harbor Freight version of that bandsaw. I got it fairly cheap, I wanna say under $200 because it was on sale AND I had a coupon. Anyway, it isn't all that bad if you get a decent blade for it. I've also seen mods here: http://www.mini-lathe.com/Bandsaw/Bandsaw.htm

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/4x6bandsaw/

The bandsaw mods could be a project in itself. The abrasive chop saw will need blades as they are sacrificial.
pyronoel
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12 12 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to pick up my load of steel Friday. Wowz.. that ate into the saw budget pretty bad!

The abrasive saw I used on the last build was my brother's, a Ryobi... Wasn't very impressed.

I picked up a Rigid 15amp abrasive chop from home depot this weekend, and I'm really impressed with how fast and clean it cuts. Maybe with 2 pits renting out I'll be able to step up on the next build Cool
Toysrme

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15 12 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All 4*6 bandsaws are all chinese clones of each other. The absolute best buy of the lot is the Grizzly. It's motor stomps everything from the pissy green HF, to the slightly better red HF (which I have, and replaced the motor with the Grizzly model), all the way up to the "use to be" $450 Delta & JET.

If you're really pinching pennies the red HF is normally on sale for $150 while the Enco can be found around 200-230. The Grizzly normally hits $225-235 on sale. NONE of the 4*6 motors pull well (beyond the grizzly). They all stall pretty easy so cuts are not exactly fast. What you pay for with a horizontal bandsaw is endless repeatable cuts that for most purposes require no finishing before welding/fitting.

Making a DIY water lubricator is great. If you're cheap just hold a candle to the blade every so often so the wax can lubricate it. Clean the rollers off every now and then. Some people use oil, but then you have to clean everything & the bandsaw & everything around it just becomes a huge oily mess.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/4-x-6-Metal-Cutting-Bandsaw/G0622

fwiw. in my shop the grizzly:
motor on the HF bandsaw is fine (1.5yo)
16" bandsaw runs fine (6yo)
5hp 10" tablesaw runs fine (6yo)
2hp dust collector runs fine (6yo)
6*46 jointer runs fine (4yo)
Dand78

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13 12 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you considered a porta band hand held band saw. Also look for a used Wells or Kalamazoo. Even used they are better than the Harbor Freight saws.

Dan
Glug

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12 12 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a milwaukee 14" abrassive chop saw. They do make a big mess. Before buying mine, I borrowed one that had a bottom plate that connected to a shop vac.

After experiencing what the saw was like without the collector, I had to act. I fabricated something similar for mine - just an aluminum box/plate.

The shop vac collects 90-95% of the dust and the sparks. I can't emphasize enough how much this helps. It also cuts down on That Smell in the area and on my clothes.

There is an obvious fire hazzard, even from the plastic shop vac hose catching fire. I suppose it wouldn't be too difficult to attach a small blower to the back of the saw. That would suck the sparks and dust and eject them in a specific direction, even when the shop vac is not available. It would probably be better than a shop vac, because the path could be all metal.

Fwiw, the old milwaukee saws had cast iron bases that were much nicer. It was easy to attach long legs to those. The newer ones are stamped, and rather thin. At least they aren't plastic. Yet.

I also have a 7x12 bandsaw, and they each have their place.
Various water smokers, charcoal and electric
redman3638

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26 12 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evolution makes a great cold cut saw called the Fury 2 going locally in az for 199.00 with blade or step up to the rage 2 pro for about a 100.00 more. Both are great saws and you cant beat the price. FYI buy the blades directly from them 59.00 plus shipping.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Welding All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: