FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why Brisket & where to get IT

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DanB
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03 12 4:31 am    Post subject: Why Brisket & where to get IT Reply with quote

Hi All New here Smoke Ring forum. This weekend maybe my 1st try at smoking.Going to try a Brisket. I just purchased Master Forge Electric Smoker from Lowe's.

Got a few questions:

1. Why is Brisket the choice meat for smoking,and not something like Flank Steak/London Broil?

2. I'm in Northern New Jersey in my local supermarkets,I only see small flats 2-4 lbs, does anyone know where my aera I can get the bigger cuts of Briskets?

3. Any tips/suggestions?

Thanks Dan
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03 12 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: Why Brisket & where to get IT Reply with quote

DanB wrote:
Hi All New here Smoke Ring forum. This weekend maybe my 1st try at smoking.Going to try a Brisket. I just purchased Master Forge Electric Smoker from Lowe's.

Got a few questions:

1. Why is Brisket the choice meat for smoking,and not something like Flank Steak/London Broil?

It is chosen as it can be a hard piece of meat to cook well, and it was traditionally a cheap cut, that needed a lot of cooking to make it tender.

Quote:
2. I'm in Northern New Jersey in my local supermarkets, I only see small flats 2-4 lbs, does anyone know where my area I can get the bigger cuts of Briskets?

Sam's club, CostCo, Restaurant Depot or Supply, Fine and Smooth, or whatever it's called, Smart and Final, http://www.newjerseyhunter.com/article14995.htm here's a list of New Jersey butchers, just plucked from the web, I don't have a personal recommendation on any of them!

Quote:
3. Any tips/suggestions?

Thanks Dan

Mark the grain by trimming one side to give a clear idea where the grain is once it is cooked, you will want to cut at 90° to this trimmed side once it's cooked.

Trim off the fat down to about 1/4 to an 1/8", leave a cover of fat but cut off any big hard fat, and if you have a full packer, trim as much of the fat from between the flat and the point as you feel comfortable with loosing!

Try a simple rub of salt, (sea or kosher), fresh cracked black pepper, and granulated Garlic.

Cook it in a pan on a cooling rack, then it won't drip all over the inside of your new cooker. Start it fat side up, cook it for an hour to an hour and a half turn it fat side down, cook on another hour or more, keep going for about 80 minutes / lb, then start testing to see if it is tender.

Once it is tender enough, I test with a 3 tinned fork, and I like it to slide in with little force, and to pull out cleanly without sticking!

You can check with a thermometer, but it's harder to give you a single temperature to test to, some Briskets are fully cooked at 191°, some are not tender until 205°, (or more).

And don't forget to take pictures, document everything so you can either do it the same way again next time... or avoid doing it that way! Oh and do enjoy the cook and the experience.

I still work here!
Jarhead
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03 12 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard DanB.
Congratulations on your new smoker.

I wouldn't do a brisket on my 1st cook. Get to know your smoker and get it seasoned with something like chicken quarters, a fattie or smoked meatloaf. If your smoker ain't doing it's thing right or you screw up, you won't break the bank.

Brisket? Depends on what you want to do and your personal prefs. Me? I like pulled beef, tacos, burritos, taco salad, etc. So I go with chuck roasts. Cheaper and they are more forgiving than a brisket.

Ask your butcher for full packers, if they don't put them out.

The steaks that you mentioned are more for grilling (hot and fast) than smoking (low and slow). They are very lean pieces of meat. You want fat content so it will render, thus keeping your meat moist and tender.

Take pics and keep a log of what you do. That way if it turns out to be dogfood, you won't do it again. (Don't ask)
Good luck and welcome to a new addiction. Wink

Jarhead's World Blog
KCBS CBJ & HMFIC Debbie's Q Shack
DanB
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03 12 8:17 am    Post subject: Why Brisket Reply with quote

Hi My reason for smoking Brisket on my 1st attempt.I've seen it smoked soo many times on TV and it looks sooo good, nice and juicy .I usually use Brisket for Pot roast/braising

I do Pork butts in the oven, chicken doesn't do it for me.If I do get the hang of Smoking, just might a Easter Turkey.

Gotta try a Brisket along with some Baby Back ribs, just in case the Brisket doesn't make it.Smile Very Happy

Thanks DanB
Jarhead
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03 12 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I've seen it smoked soo many times on TV and it looks sooo good, nice and juicy .

And I'll bet it wasn't their first time. Let alone on an unfamiliar smoker.
Quote:
I usually use Brisket for Pot roast/braising

Lot of difference.
I just don't want to see you get discouraged.
But, if you must, please read Smokin' Okies Brisket 101
http://www.cookshack.com/store/Smokin-Okies-101-Series/Brisket-101
Good luck and take us some pics.

Jarhead's World Blog
JimH
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03 12 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baby backs are a waste of money, spares are better. More meat, more flavor and bang for your buck!
JimH
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03 12 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, look for a brisket between 9 to12# they tend to be a little more tender.
DanB
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04 12 4:37 am    Post subject: Pic's? Reply with quote

Hi All How I go about posting pics?
I have a 4.5 lb brisket, rubbed in the fridge. I think the butcher thought he was doing me favor by removing most of the fat. When I told him it was going on a smoker. he said IF I would have known that I would have left some fat on..OH well, next time I will tell him.
I also have a rack of BB's, as back up if the brisket is a failure.
I'm figuring on around 7 hrs for the brisket. Should I foil? half way thru, or wait for a certain temp?
The BB's should be NO problem. Smile
I hope the weather is going to cooperate tomorrow.

Thanks Dan
DanB
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05 12 4:13 am    Post subject: My 1st smoke Reply with quote

Hi All Well I fired up the Electric smoker at 8 am, put the 4.5lb brisket on at 8:20, bottom rack.The BB's went on at 9:20 top rack.The BB's came out really good using the 3-1-1 method, after 3 hrs in the smoker, foiled rapped with some apple juice,then back in the smoker for 1hr, after that 1 more hr in the smoker unfoiled.Had some real good Hickory taste, just need some kind of BBQ
sauce to finish them off, otherwise they were a success. Very Happy

Now the Brisket might be another story. At the 5 hr mark which is where it is right now, I took 1st temp reading 140..Smoker temps were 225-250.I was planning for a 7 hr cook, 1 1/2 hr per lb doesn't look like that is going to happen?.Question there isn't any bark on the brisket, could it be because there wasn't enough fat on the brisket

I started with 1 chunk of Hickory 2-3" x 2-3", after 2 hrs I had to add another chunk, that was it for the wood.

DanB
PS I took some pics, but I don't know how to add them to the post.
DanB
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05 12 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reheat Brisket Reply with quote

Hi All Here is where I stand with the brisket..I had to take the 4.5 lb brisket out of the smoker cause it was getting late last night. The temp was 180, that was after an 11hr cook.Had some nice bark and taste. Whats the best way to reheat the whole piece?

Thanks Dan
DanB
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06 12 4:27 am    Post subject: Pic Reply with quote

http://s1148.photobucket.com/albums/o570/DanBono/?action=view&current=DSC00940.jpg
DanB
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06 12 8:10 am    Post subject: Dry Brisket Reply with quote

Hi All Here is what I did to reheat the whole brisket..Put It in the oven at 300 brisket on rack juices with apple juice in the pan, covered in foil.Botom line it was real tasty, but DRY as hell. Haven't seen slices of meat, that dry in along time.. Still a good meal, would have been awesome, if there were some juice. Maybe next time.

Oh well the rib's were really good.

I'm going to like smoking.

Thanks Dan
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06 12 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's almost no fat on that brisket... so you need to treat it as just a trimmed flat from the word go!

Trimmed flat weighing 5lb or under, I would be looking at 7.5 - 8 hours to cooked, on my UDS at 250°.

What is the cooker? A Brinkmann? If it is... then take a look at these modifications Brinkmann Gourmet!

I would like to know where it was temperature wise about the 7 hour mark, if you know?

At that sort of time I would have, put it in a pan and foiled it, if it needed more time you can finish it in the pit or the oven.

That would have kept it a little moister, and if you had to hold it over night, a cup of juice in with the brisket in the pan would have helped.

JM2C, other folks may have other opinions... it's all good practice!

That is the secret to all good cooking, practice, practice practice! Wink

I still work here!
DanB
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06 12 8:53 am    Post subject: Dry Brisket Reply with quote

Ezzy: here is my smoker. Temp at the 7 hr mark was 140. Smoker temps were 200/250.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_332739-42600-EBC1102L_4294857758_4294937087_?productId=3294736

Thanks Dan
Jarhead
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06 12 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since it is already cooked, cooled, etc.
Try and slice it thin, across the grain, dip it in au jus and make a French Dip out of it.

Jarhead's World Blog
DanB
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09 12 4:31 am    Post subject: Cold Brisket Reply with quote

Hi All I found out the cold brisket slices are really pretty good. Almost all gone..Time for another try with Brisket Very Happy

DanB
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Beef Recipes All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: