FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

First welder
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
boobq

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25 12 2:24 pm    Post subject: First welder Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I have decided to build my own Smoker and I am new to welding. I am looking for a welder that will weld up to 1/4 thick, I have local shops in my town lowes , home depot, harbor freight, sears and northern tools. Can someone lead me to a certain brand/ model welder which Is good for a beginner and then I can start practicing with scrap metal. I am looking for a decent welder that will last me a long time.

Thanks
k.a.m.
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25 12 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the ring boobq, looking forward to seeing some pics of your cooks and following your cooker build. Smile
I prefer stick welding but wire feeds are a bit easier to learn on. If I were going to get a wire feed I would purchase this one.
http://www.hobartwelders.com/products/wirefeed/handler190/

Now stick machines I would purchase an AC/DC machine they are less expensive but the learning curve is higher.

http://www.hobartwelders.com/products/stick/stickmate-lx235ac-160dc/

Reverse Flow
Hybrid Cooker
Maniac
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25 12 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

k.a.m. gave you two great choices. If you plan on welding alum. you will have to buy the spool gun. If not the choice is yours good luck Smile
GreenSmoker
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26 12 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 on k.a.m.'s comments. Craigslist.com is a good source of used items. Bought my Lincoln 175 there and there is always a big selection on sale.

Look around as prices where ever you buy vary a good bit.

Homemade Offset 30 x 30
UDS
Rocket Stove
Liar #92 or is that my age or my IQ or my shoe size or the sum total for all of them?
boobq

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26 12 6:02 am    Post subject: First welder Reply with quote

Thanks everyone!

In your opinion what tool is often used among you guys for cutting the propane tanks besides a plasma cutter?
k.a.m.
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26 12 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: First welder Reply with quote

boobq wrote:
Thanks everyone!

In your opinion what tool is often used among you guys for cutting the propane tanks besides a plasma cutter?

boobq, I prefer my O/A cutting torch.

Reverse Flow
Hybrid Cooker
GF
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26 12 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

boobq, just kinda throwing this out for ya.
I agree with k.a.m. about a torch but, do you have a grinder already?
If you don't that would be at the top of my to buy list.
Just begining to weld, you and that grinder are gonna be good friends. Wink
If you have one already or can get a grinder and a torch, even better. Very Happy
Looking forward to seeing your build pics.
TonyMo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26 12 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am just a hobby welder but but a will second a vote for Hobart. I just upgraded from a 150amp Lincoln to a Hobart 210MVP.
MVP is for "multi voltage plug." You can use it with either 210 or 110 volt by just switching out the plugs. I have 210v in my little garage shop but now I can use it with 110v at my camp with my generator for some smaller projects.
A spool gun is available for it should I ever want to weld aluminum
http://www.hobartwelders.com/products/wirefeed/handler210/
Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26 12 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the Ring, Boobq. Very Happy The link provides some excellent starter points. It was created by Ringers that have had a fair amount of success building cookers. The equipment list may or may not seem long but it is bare bones IMHO. Anything less may render this a short lived project when the frustration sets in. Good luck, post pics.
http://thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=44733&start=0
boobq

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28 12 5:21 am    Post subject: angle grinder Reply with quote

What brand grinder do you guys recommend as for quality and long lasting?

Whats everyone's choice to use in cutting metal?

I am gonna pick up basic tools this week that I need for the build.

Thanks
Maniac
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28 12 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boobq I like metabo grinders for taking abuse. o/a for cutting and bending. plasma for cutting. cheap chop saw. bandsaw is nice too. good luck on your search Very Happy
Bedlam BBQ
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28 12 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: First welder Reply with quote

boobq wrote:
Hi everyone,

I have decided to build my own Smoker and I am new to welding. I am looking for a welder that will weld up to 1/4 thick, I have local shops in my town lowes , home depot, harbor freight, sears and northern tools. Can someone lead me to a certain brand/ model welder which Is good for a beginner and then I can start practicing with scrap metal. I am looking for a decent welder that will last me a long time.

Thanks

I just got one of these from Northern Tool -- I'm also learning to weld.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200306073_200306073

I don't have a 220 outlet that I can access so I had to go with a 110 unit.

As far as a grinder, I'd recommend a Dewalt, but make sure to get the 10amp version.

Stumper clone with Stoker
Bedlam BBQ
Competition Team
QTEX

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02 12 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For beginner welders its hard to beat the Lincoln acdc model. Fairly inexpesive and good enough to do just about anything once you have more experience. I use my Millermatic mig 135 on 3/16 and 1/4 all the time, good enough on bbq pits (not building trailer) where not real stress and or penetration is that big of a deal. In the areas that really need it I use the stick and a 7018 rod.
http://www.lincolnelectric.com/en-us/Equipment/Pages/product.aspx?product=K1297
gandrfab

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02 12 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

QTEX wrote:
For beginner welders its hard to beat the Lincoln acdc model. Fairly inexpesive and good enough to do just about anything once you have more experience. I use my Millermatic mig 135 on 3/16 and 1/4 all the time, good enough on bbq pits (not building trailer) where not real stress and or penetration is that big of a deal. In the areas that really need it I use the stick and a 7018 rod.
http://www.lincolnelectric.com/en-us/Equipment/Pages/product.aspx?product=K1297

What he said,That was the first welder I bought.
No need to deal with gasses for small projects.
Toysrme

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02 12 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bob.
Speedglas helmets > anything else (The SL series is great for professional welders. the weight is amazing & curved shields last much longer)
can't beat Makita grinders. ever. Powerful & unlike grinders from dewalt, milwalkee, etc they are very safe. great trigger/lock mechanisms & you have NO REASON to remove the safety shield from the grinder unlike every other grinder brand i've ever encountered. Undo the latch, spin the shield, redo the latch = brilliant.
can't beat Makita's cordless impact drivers. (the 3 piece florescent worklight + drill-driver is a nice way to get them)

head and shoulders above the rest.

virtually every car mechanics shop (Toyota or Nissan) i ever worked in or have walked in had every person running Makita cordless tools

virtually every large welding / fab shop/job i've ever been in used Speedglas helmets & Makita grinders

consequently i have a speedglas SL (OMG the light weight & comfortable strap is so nice to work in. I die anytime I have to pull out another heavy helmet to get a very dark shade) and Makita tools.
No complaint, only positives to say. Powerful, lasts a long time, very comfortable, very safe.
QTEX

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02 12 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would also add to get a auto dark helmet, big BIG plus for a beginner and even pro, I have two and love them. They are cheaper now than ever before
k.a.m.
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02 12 3:34 am    Post subject: Re: angle grinder Reply with quote

boobq wrote:
What brand grinder do you guys recommend as for quality and long lasting?

Whats everyone's choice to use in cutting metal?

I am gonna pick up basic tools this week that I need for the build.

Thanks

I prefer Dewalt grinders in the 10.0 or 13.0 amp. size. They have tool free adjustable guards and come with paddle switches which are really nice if your grinder gets away from you. The 13.0 amp also has safety pins in the brushes so you do not risk burning up your motor.

Reverse Flow
Hybrid Cooker
Blazer
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02 12 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+ 1 on the dewalt, The paddle switch has saved my skin more than once. Parts are easy to get,I just put brushes in 12 of the ten amp model for around ten bucks a grinder. Very Happy
Toysrme

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02 12 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

for cutting in shops i go either way. plasma or oxyace. either way for hand cutting doesn't matter. obviously only plasma for CNC, and oxyace works very well for staight or bevel cuts on linear track setups.

at home i sold my oxy fuel kit quite a few years ago. i had bought one of the chinese stick/dc tig/plasma units on the cheap off an importer & found i hadn't used the fuel torch in years to actually anneal anything at home. i was just using the china-meow box in plasma mode. was grabbing a propane torch to light the grill, heat stuck parts was more convenient.
plus i did a lot of aluminum & stainless work at home for several years & you have to have plasma.
TrailerBuilder
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03 12 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

toysrme wrote
Quote:
can't beat Makita grinders. ever. Powerful & unlike grinders from dewalt, milwalkee, etc they are very safe. great trigger/lock mechanisms & you have NO REASON to remove the safety shield from the grinder unlike every other grinder brand i've ever encountered. Undo the latch, spin the shield, redo the latch = brilliant.
can't beat Makita's cordless impact drivers. (the 3 piece florescent worklight + drill-driver is a nice way to get them)

head and shoulders above the rest.

I have worked in the same shop now for close to 20 years and I have had my trailer side business now for over 10 years and I have never EVER had any problems with my dewalt equiptment. The shop I work in is full of guys that can tear up and destroy anything and the Dewalt name has stood the test with each and every one of them. I am using the same 4 tools that were issued to me years ago and wouldnt trade them for anything. Same goes for my trailer business. I dont think a person can go wrong with Dewalt. As far as the safety factor, the tool is only as safe as the person using it, its not the tools fault if your not smart enough to use it properly. And I just bought the new Dewalt 20v lithium cordless combo pack and I would put the drill and the impact driver up against any cordless tools on the market. Wink

JM2CW
Fire Pit
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Welding All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: