FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

mig welder help needed

View previous topic :: View next topic  
plbass
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20 12 11:19 pm    Post subject: mig welder help needed Reply with quote

Using a Airco Dip Pak 200 for my smoker build. The tip is a push in and keeps coming out and getting wire welded in. Any ideas why this is happening?
mrcustomsteel
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21 12 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After some use, MIG tips get dirty, out of shape from ware, etc and may arc inside of that tip causing the wire to stick. The tips are "consumables" and need to be replaced fairly often. You might have some luck cleaning it with an Oxy/acet tip cleaner. Also blow the dust off of your wire, blow out your liner and get a felt wire cleaner. Your welding supply might have a part to allow that gun to accept screw in tips that may be cheaper. Good luck. I know that's frustrating as he!!.
plbass
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21 12 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help. We tried cleaning the tip but didn't last long. We also put a new tip in and that didn't last long either. This past saturday we cleaned the tip again and it last about 2 hours of welding. I'll go to the supply house and see if they have a upgrade part to accept screw in tips. I will try cleaning the wire and liner. It's an older machine and has been sitting for a long while, do you think the liner may be bad?
plbass
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21 12 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The welder is a Airco dip pak 200. From what i heard from the local welding supply is they were bought out and hard to find parts for. Now the search continues for a supply of tips.
MikeBuiltWhat

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22 12 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a thought on your problem. Are you using the proper stick out for the wire you are using? I only ask because if I don't the wire sticks in the tip. I get this problem with 3 different mig machines if I get careless and not watch the stick out. You also may want to check yoru gun liner. If the liner is old or kinked it can cause feed issues (keep the gun cable as straight as possible).
Blazer
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22 12 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you still have issues you may want to check radnor, they make aftermarket gun's for a lot of different machines. They use a standard screw in tip. Wink
plbass
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27 12 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ended up ordering a new gun from Weld Mart. Thanks for all the help. I don't know much about welders but i do know to listen to the ones that do. Smile
Charro

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29 12 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

X2 on the liner, and make sure all connections for your gun are clean and tight.
Maniac
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29 12 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i guess i'll throw my 2 cents in. check drive rollers (that is ) 1 set on proper wire size and 2 proper tension....no slippage. hope the new gun works out for you. last speed....to slow will cause that to.....and clean ground.
X-Roughneck
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05 12 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plbass wrote:
Ended up ordering a new gun from Weld Mart. Thanks for all the help. I don't know much about welders but i do know to listen to the ones that do. Smile

plbass,does your machine or control speed box have a "burnback" control knob???

Also,are you using gas or flux core wire???

The drive wheel that feeds the wire might be double grooved too.If so,it is reversible.Take a close look at the 'wire groove'.Machines that age tend to widen the groove causing wire slipage.If that happens,it will cause the wire to weld to the tip,thus pushing the tip off.

Like others said,clean your liner,use a felt wire cleaner too.Straighten out the lead,pull the trigger and make SURE the wire feeds SMOOTH without any jumping.

I realize you ordered a new gun,but that may not be your only problem with this machine to make it spool smooth.
plbass
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12 12 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new gun did the trick. The old one had a bad liner.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Welding All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: