FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Afraid to share ideas on here?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Moe's Famous
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20 12 1:45 pm    Post subject: Afraid to share ideas on here? Reply with quote

I love this site to the fulliest. Although, I have 1000's of ideas, I'm afraid to share. I'm a rookie, and Vets are in position. Am I the only one that feels this way? or am I wrong. I have a lot has happened, but I'm not ready to share. Help me out Bar B Q Vets...Thanks
Mish
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20 12 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have ideas and want feedback post them. Dont be upset if everyone doesnt agree with you though.
1buckie
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20 12 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

" Afraid to share ideas on here?"
Nawww......How would I ever find out if the ideas are any good? There's a lot of folks who do a lot better stuff than I do, but some of the stuff I come up with is not like anyone else..........If there's critisizism, I take it on (WITH a sense of humor) and just learn from it. This coming from the guy who got LAST PLACE in the mac 'n' cheese throwdown.......

I much prefer to live on "The Edge" ~~~>

It does say, after all:
"General BBQ Discussion
Discussion of barbecue styles, techniques, success stories, disasters, etc. "

~~~~~~~~~>Ken
It's gonna say on my tombstone: Died of thick, heavy sauces ~~~~>K
" The Creepy Guy Down the Street With All The Webers"
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20 12 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I for one wish folks would share, I also wish folks could play nice and that folks would not try breaking the rules and spam the site, but I'm realistic enough not to hold my breath, waiting for the perfect world!

If you fear advocating for things here, don't advocate, if you don't want to put your home address and phone number on here, don't do that either, but on the other side if you choose to post your ideas, or any other information you always do so because you want to, not because someone else wants you to!

This is the Internet, it's not inherently safe, anything that you put out here, can be seen when it's here, and even if you remove the postings and delete the pictures, there are sites that take snapshots every week, and month. So be aware that once it is out there on the net, it is out there for all to see, if you have ideas and you don't want to risk your intellectual property rights, don't put it on the web in the first place!

There are a number of people who forget the information they have posted, in incidental things like pictures, details of where they work, or holiday, or drive on a daily basis, and they are unhappy when other members are able to remember all those little details and regurgitate them... it is not cyberstalking... especially if you hand out the information yourself!

So take your pick, but be aware of the realities of the WWW, both the good and the bad!

I still work here!
GF
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20 12 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moe's Famous, sorry you feel that way.
As SoEzzy said, I wouldn't post anything I wouldn't want the world to see, but if it's cook pics etc. Why not?

I've had some threads go well, others fade fast, none harshly critisized. The flops just drift off in cyberspace.

Just remember, don't ask a question you don't want an answer to.

Maybee you'll change your mind, maybee not, either way, enjoy your cooks.
Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20 12 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GF wrote:
Moe's Famous,

Just remember, don't ask a question you don't want an answer to.

+1 I recall but one thread shot down in flames at the get go. We have all been there. Any / all others were the authors refusal to accept that the idea may not work. Second and third, etc. attempts to sway the jury if you will. Moe's Famous...please do share your ideas. It may be a winner and receive kudos. It may also be the same unworkable idea that others have thought but were also afraid to share. Still a good post. The third or so attempt to have an all galvanized firebox or wooden firegrates accepted, for example, would be where the going gets rough, vet or no, and should kind of be expected . JM2CW
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20 12 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you feel that older members hold the cards and get special treatment then I believe you are incorrect in your thinking.
SoEzzy will be very fast to knock any member off his or her pedestal if need be. As stated if you do not take criticism well then an open forum is not a wise place to ask questions or post ideas that others may not like or may even poke fun at.
Another problem is wording in phrases, with out facial remarks or sound it is sometimes difficult to reach an understanding on someones views or remarks.
Then there is the alcohol induced poster that is always correct and everyone else is wrong or against them.
I have learned it is better to walk away from flame wars or members that want to peck a fight as their days are usually numbered or other members begin to realize what they are about.
I for one love new ideas I am also one that will either post my likes or dislikes but to take offense in someones answer is usually where the trouble begins for some because they do not take ribbing or criticism well.
If you have ideas that you want to someday be published or copy righted an open forum is not a good place to show them off in my opinion.
I as do many other members post ideas in the cooker and welding section some are liked some are not some are copied or modified some are not.
These are just my thoughts. Smile
I hope this helps. Smile

Hybrid Cooker
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20 12 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I first started posting stuff here I tended to be pretty defensive about anything negative comments. After a meltdown or two I realized there was way more positive comments and that encouraged me to carry on.

There have also been more than a few cooks that never got posted as I felt the results of my efforts were less than average..

Only one way to go, IMHO, and that is to jump right in.

Look forward to reading what ya got to say Moe.
LIAR #100
matthhi

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20 12 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO this is one of the friendliest forums I visit
k.c.hawg
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20 12 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think 90% of the people in this forum are very positive and receptive. I lean more towards putting my ideas/experiences out there when someone is in need of help and asking questions.

I am my own worst critic when it comes to cooking. I often announce to my guests/family that I've turned in a poor effort only to be corrected with the food is great you are way too critical. That being said I always feel that a person putting themselves on the line to present an idea deserves an honest answer but should always be treated with respect. After 37+ years of cooking by trial and error, I have enough successes and failures to congratulate or console almost every scenario put forth.

I always find it amazing at how many people we have on here that are so well versed and experienced at what they do, whether it be pit building, catering, competition cooking or backyard cooking that are so giving of their time to help people out that are searching for answers. Once you spend enough time in a forum you know the posters whose opinions you value,trust and repect. If you get a critical response or a response that doesn't support your theory/idea from a poster whose opinion you value, take it to heart as good constructive criticism or opposing view. If you get an obnoxious response from a poster you know little or nothing about, take it for what it is, an obnoxious opinion from an annonymous source.

Of all the forums I've ever spent time in this is the most helpful and civil of them all.
30" Masterbuilt Digital
UDS (Named Uddley by Mrs K.C.)
Weber 26.75 One Touch
Weber 22.5 Silver Touch
Weber Smokey Joe
Superfast Red Thermopen
Razorback born and bred!
davejschultz
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20 12 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never be afraid to share...opinions and ideas are not right or wrong...they are only different. What floats my boat might sink your ship.

I have learned over the years in this community that the people you want feedback from will give you honest feedback without being rude.

My $0.02.

Char-Griller Trio 3030 / Masterbuilt 30 Electric / Webber One Touch Gold / Small BGE
T00lman
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20 12 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then there is the alcohol induced poster .

that hurts Laughing

worst case ya just don,t read the crap and move on can,t please everyone just don,t try to offend >

this post was wrote with no alochol involved gotta go getting shaky Laughing
#37 liar
1 wsm 18 1/2
1wsm 22 1/2
X-Roughneck
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20 12 11:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Afraid to share ideas on here? Reply with quote

Moe's Famous wrote:
I love this site to the fulliest. Although, I have 1000's of ideas, I'm afraid to share. I'm a rookie, and Vets are in position. Am I the only one that feels this way? or am I wrong. I have a lot has happened, but I'm not ready to share. Help me out Bar B Q Vets...Thanks

Moe....don't worry bout nuthin'Bud!Hell there's one dude that cooks with christmas trees and rolls his chicken in hot coals before he burns it!lol There's another dude that has two strikes,he lives down in florida and even has a PONYTAIL. Shocked lol Oh,i've got one too but who cares.lol Then ya got a skinny guy that always cooks in his speedo's and has a "different" approach on "smokin" macaroni nooldles.lol Also,i have counted up to 69LIARS that even note it on their own profile, so some may even be lying if your posted cook LOOKS like ____,BUT they STILL say "it looks good"! Mr. Green lol My point is,there is all kinds of people on any forum you go to.To answer you ?,i do not see any problems posting here.Post what ever you want,who cares,some criticism is how we learn.If you don't like it,just ride on by,put the throttle lock on,take one hand off the apes,and give 'em the finger! lol NOW....to be honest with you,i truely believe this IS the best BBQ forum available on the net.There's quite a few people on here that you will find very helpful.Make sure to check out the welding and building of cookers threads/topic too.You will find some first time builders and a bunch of very professional fabricators waiting to help you in any way they can.DON'T BE BASHFUL! Lets see some good 'ol BBQ pics Moe.Welcome to the Forum brother,lets hear it!

Last edited by X-Roughneck on Tue Feb 21 12 12:50 am; edited 2 times in total
Geronimo
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21 12 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm up for some new ideas...but 1,000's Shocked Shocked Shocked

JK ya, look forward to some new/fresh ideas in the way of cooking barbecue Wink
istock74
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21 12 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always felt like this place was very friendly and I've always valued the vets opinions. You get a person that has been cooking Q for along time, some even professionally, and they are willing to help you understand things better or work through a problem you are having.... you just can't beat that.

I say ,as have others, put your stuff out there.

This place is full of good folks who care enough to help.

All that said....just don't be the guy that takes dissent personally. Nothing more off putting than someone who asks a question then gets butthurt because they don't like the answer the get.

Cheers!
UDS
Weber Performer
GreenSmoker
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21 12 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kill'em all and let God.........wait that's gonna get me flamed!! Send your thoughts out into the ether.....worst you'll get is a note on your puter screen that someone don't fancy your thought process and what hurt is that.

I have no doubt(great band) that some of my "thoughts" are not the norm in here, so what. Its free (well till the cable bill comes in) and I'm 300lbs of bull so I ain't afeered.

But I gotta give ya.......1000's?

Homemade Offset 30 x 30
UDS
Rocket Stove
Liar #92 or is that my age or my IQ or my shoe size or the sum total for all of them?
Q-in
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21 12 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as you don't put beans in your chili,or use foil,or sauce. Laughing Laughing Wink
MacEggs
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21 12 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said, Ringers!!

The form in this thread may some times apply. Shocked Laughing Laughing Laughing Wink

http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=56665

The cookers (so far).
Some Weber kettles of various age, color and size
UDS & Mini UDS
Abby Normal ECB
Napoleon Propane Grill
yardman5508
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21 12 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Q-in wrote:
As long as you don't put beans in your chili,or use foil,or sauce. Laughing Laughing Wink
or post a cook without pictures Laughing
Smokey Joe
Chefmikey

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21 12 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Moe - some days ya just gotta jump in the deep end and see what happens!
There is too much great info on the ring here to pass up, and I don't think there's anyone on here who's so 'perfect' in their cooks that they can't learn something new from time to time...who knows, you may be sitting on the next great innovation in smoked food!! That'd be a crime to not share!

Grill-Pro offset
Master Forge ECB/WSM clone
Weber 18" kettle - silver
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: