FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

BG12's first build..first competition results!!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
browning_gold_12

PostPosted: Feb 14 2012    Post subject: BG12's first build..first competition results!! Reply with quote

you guys have flung a craving on me. Ran my ideas past the boss this morning, and he said as long as he can grill burgers on it, he dont care what else I do to it!! He liked the idea of r/f, and also having a warmer over the firebox. I am gonna have alot of questions, I hope yall have alot of patience!!

What I started with..

Started out by scoring my cut with a dewalt grinder and a "razorblade" cutting wheel. Started having "thermal issues" with the grinder, so I switched to the plasma. After I cut the lid I had a brainstorm. Why couldnt I have a lid sort of like a roll top desk? That would be SUWEET!! But then I remembered someone saying that heat iron and close tolerances didnt mix...maybe next time...

after I got the lid on...

rails for tuning plates and cooking rack.

pics resized (i think....) Question

Last edited by browning_gold_12 on Mar 12 2012; edited 7 times in total
browning_gold_12

PostPosted: Feb 14 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ended up with about 6" from the bottom of the cooker to the bottom of the tuning plates. Is that enough? My tank is 24X60. Also i have about 6.5" beween the top of the plates and the top of the cooking surface. Is that ok? I plan to use 3/4 #9 flat on my racks, with a 1'' square tubing frame. The rack will be 45" wide, by 23" deep. What is the maximum that the 3/4 #9 will span? I was thinking about every 12" having a piece of tubing. Also was toying with adding a second rack. What is the minumum you would want between the upper and lower racks?

k.a.m, i appreciate the pics in the other thread of your plates. Is that just some 1/4 x 2 overlapping the plate next to it?

also got some questions about my firebox and warmer. Is it ok to build it as one unit, or is it better to do the firebox and then add the warmer on top later? Sorry some many questions, I just dont want it to suck Laughing
GF
BBQ Super Pro

bg12, Sorry I can't help with the questions, I'm sure someone who knows, will.
Your progress so far looks good. Very Happy
The roll top door sounds cool, but sounds lika a real PITA to make it work.
Looking forward to updates.
SoEzzy
BBQ Super All Star

Please read PMPNLT650pxOTLS!

I would either build it all at once when you get to it, this makes the top of the firebox the bottom of the warming chamber, rather than building the fire box and then building a warming chamber with a bottom, I've seen a couple of them this way, and they never keep the warming chamber at high enough heat.

That said, I've also seen some warming chambers and fireboxes with thin metal between, that glows so hot, you can't use the bottom two racks in the warming chamber and you almost have to leave the door open if you do use it.

I still work here!
browning_gold_12

thanks SoEzzy. I thought that would be the best way to do it, and if it was too hot maybe double the bottom plate or something. PLanning on going with 3/16 for box and warmer.
Maniac
BBQ Super Pro

BG12....looking real nice so far....imho....your distance seems pretty good to me on both accounts......you will have they guys around soon to fine tune if need be....as far as a warming box...Soezzy gave you better advice than i can ...i don't have one....hmmmmmmm on the rolltop....that has me thinking.....would be real cool Cool
SoEzzy
BBQ Super All Star

browning_gold_12 wrote:
sorry i think i got it right this time.

Nope, not quite yet!

Resize outside photobucket, reupload them, then quote the new pictures, or it will just go away again.

Thanks for your attempt. Wink

Keep trying, it's worth it once you have it down.

I still work here!

Last edited by SoEzzy on Feb 14 2012; edited 1 time in total
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

browning_gold_12, your off to a Great start your cooker is coming along nicely. Very Happy I look forward to seeing some more pics and updates. Very Happy

I like your height spacings on the plates 5" to 6" is what I like to shoot for. on a 24" tank or pipe.

My locking bars are 1" x 1/4" flat bar I split the difference and spot welded them to the plate.

I like to build my firebox first then build the warming chamber second. The number one reason is weight and lack of lifting material. I do use the top of the firebox as the bottom of the warmer.
I hope this helps. Smile

Hybrid Cooker
browning_gold_12

SoEzzy wrote:
browning_gold_12 wrote:
sorry i think i got it right this time.

Nope, not quite yet!

Resize outside photobucket, reupload them, then quote the new pictures, or it will just go away again.

Thanks for your attempt. Wink

Keep trying, it's worth it once you have it down.

well I'll be kiss my foot....This is plum embarassing! I am the mod over Trail cams and Photography on a popular hunting site! And I cant get my pic sizes right!!! Embarassed
browning_gold_12

PostPosted: Feb 20 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

didnt get a chance to get alot done during the past week, so I went in and worked on it sat. got my firebox fabbed up, or should i say flubbed up, lol. I somehow messed around an grabbed the wrong two pieces of metal. I had ripped up 2 sheets with the plasma for different places. I intended on 25w x20t x18d, and wound up with 25w x23tx18d, which is around 1300 over, or 114.5%. I plan on adding a rampfrom the top of my frebox to chamber opening and sloping back towards the door. I feel like that could cut the overage close to in half. I was also wondering if adding some firebrick to the bottom of my box would reduce the volume and not hurt anything? Another issue I see is my stacks. I didnt write down my sizes i needed for my stack. I thought it was 20'' for 4''id, but it wound up being 35'' needed. well, the 20's are already in place. Remember, this is a hybrid. my question is, should I add 15 to the one on the right, or leave them and add a third stack to use when smoking, and have the twin 20's open when I am grilling?

start of the day sat...

firebox fabbed and attached.

Chamber opening, with grease lip.

6 hrs later....

Arise, kill and eat...Acts 10:13

The perils of duck hunting are great....especially for the duck...Walter Cronkite

Custom Trailer mounted RF Hybrid
Custom 4x4 Griller
Weber 22.5 Kettle
Corps Campground rebuild in progress
24'' Discada in progress
Catman
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Feb 21 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Browning_Gold, adding fire brick to the bottom of the firebox won't hurt a thing. Just remember to locate your air intakes accordingly so they are not blocked by the brick. And when it is all done, tell your friends you planned it that way to save the bottom of the firebox Wink

What ever it is, do it, do it 'till you're satisfied.
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

browning_gold_12, your cooker is looking fantastic. Very Happy
If you place the ramp in the firebox I would leave it open air so you do not block the radiant heat needed for the warming chamber. Firebricks are optional and add weight to an already heavy back end. I personally would not put them. In my opinion an over sized firebox is better than one to small.

When your ready for a test burn I would try the stacks in place and not change a thing yet. Adding 15" to one only solves half your problem. if you plan on the taller stack for the tuning plate side or left stack then when you shift to R/F mode the shorter stack or right stack will be the one suffering. My thought is to see what you have now before you paint and if it is not satisfactory then make adjustments at that time.
I hope this helps. Smile

Hybrid Cooker
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

browning_gold_12, your cooker is looking fantastic. Very Happy
If you place the ramp in the firebox I would leave it open air so you do not block the radiant heat needed for the warming chamber. Firebricks are optional and add weight to an already heavy back end. I personally would not put them. In my opinion an over sized firebox is better than one to small.

When your ready for a test burn I would try the stacks in place and not change a thing yet. Adding 15" to one only solves half your problem. If you plan on the taller stack for the tuning plate side or left stack then when you shift to R/F mode the shorter stack or right stack will be the one suffering. My thought is to see what you have now before you paint and if it is not satisfactory then make adjustments at that time.
I hope this helps. Smile

Hybrid Cooker
browning_gold_12

PostPosted: Feb 24 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooops! I already had the ramp in before I saw your post Kevin. What do you mean by open air?

The perils of duck hunting are great....especially for the duck...Walter Cronkite

Custom 4x4 Griller
Weber 22.5 Kettle
24'' Discada in progress
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

browning_gold_12 wrote:
Ooops! I already had the ramp in before I saw your post Kevin. What do you mean by open air?

On my sacrificial plate on top the firebox I left a 1" gap so air could flow between the plate and the firebox top. This will allow the warming chamber to get the radiant heat it needs. If I had boxed it in it would take a lot of heat to warm the upper chamber.

Hybrid Cooker
browning_gold_12

ok, that shouldnt be too hard to remedy! Very Happy Thanks for all the help. Hope to make a good showing on it tomorrow. Got my axle, tires and wheels today. I really feel like I am gonna have to add some weight to the front of the trailer, as my center of gravity right now is about 6'' in front of the firebox Sad

Custom 4x4 Griller
Weber 22.5 Kettle
24'' Discada in progress
browning_gold_12

PostPosted: Feb 26 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made a pretty good showing friday but forgot to get pics. This coming week will be "hell week". Scheduled for Sandblast and paint Friday!!! Season/test burn, and any mods Monday, and cook steaks for 75 Tuesday!! Shocked

I did get a pic of my custom handle I built.. 1/8 by 3/4 heated and wrapped around a piece of pipe. then welded tol a smaller piece of pipe leaving an air gap. Also left the ends of that pipe open so it would dissipate heat.

Custom 4x4 Griller
Weber 22.5 Kettle
24'' Discada in progress
browning_gold_12

PostPosted: Feb 29 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

made some good progress this week. down to alot of little things now. dampers, intakes, charcoal basket, wood rack. got to finish the trailer tomorrow, and get it to sandblast tomorrow afternoon. fish cookers and tool box will have to wait for now.

The trailer started out as a roll around rack for missle tubes to be moved on.

went extra heavy on the tongue. knew I would need the weight in the front. Wound up moving axle back 12" from the start, plus added 3' of 2'' cold rolled steel inside the channel iron on each side of the tongue.

test run

coming along nicely...

Custom 4x4 Griller
Weber 22.5 Kettle
24'' Discada in progress
GF
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Feb 29 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

BG12, Holy cow you're tearing through thid build. Shocked
It looks great. Very Happy
At the rate your going your gonna have cook pics by Thursday. Wink
The custom handle also looks very cool, nice idea.
browning_gold_12

PostPosted: Mar 01 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks GF, cook pics will be next wed! Laughing

Custom 4x4 Griller
Weber 22.5 Kettle
24'' Discada in progress
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: