FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Disco Time!!! Finished 03/24/12
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Discada Cooking
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JimH
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20 12 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the side table for?
TrailerBuilder
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21 12 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JimH, the side tray can be used to hold utensils while cooking or as a warming tray, I figure once I get to cooking on it, Ill find all kinds of cool things to use it for. The idea of it was inspired by killswitch505's builds.
TrailerBuilder
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25 12 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got some free time to work on both discos and finally get them done. When I did my first test burn the other day, the flame was hitting the bottom of the disc and then turning down and shooting flame towards the stand, big no good there. So I revamped a little, tried a couple different things that k.a.m. and I dreamed up that didnt work and then figured out how to make one of the ideas work. I used 1/4" keystock and welded it inside my burner ring and then welded another ring around the outside perimeter for the disc to set on. The disc is actually resting on the 1/4" keystock and the outer ring is just holding the disc steady. Kevin, thanks for your help and thoughts on this part of the build. Very Happy

Here you can see the 1/4" keystock coming out of the inner ring and the outer ring welded to it. It worked well and finished the burner off nicely Smile

Heres my buddies disc, I had a heck of a time getting the rust and scale off of this one. I sanded, wire wheeled, sanded some more and still couldnt get deep down to get it clean. It has alot of pits in it, so it was tough to get it cleaned out.

Dug out my sandblaster. I havent used this thing in more than 15 years and it didnt take long to remember why, its such a mess and Im still finding sand in my hair and ears Evil or Very Mad

This is after blasting and Im quite pleased, the sandblaster really got the disc nice and clean Smile

Both burner stands together...you can see that my buddy is a touch shorter than me Laughing Actually the shorter on is countertop height with the disc on it, I wanted mine a little taller.

So the discos are done! Finally!! It has been a fun build and I have sure learned a couple things along the way. Plan to deliver mine to my buddy tomorrow afternoon, was going to suprise him with it sometime when he came over for dinner, but really want to get it out of my garage Laughing Hope he likes his as much as I like mine.

Thanks for looking Smile
GF
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25 12 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrailerBuilder, They both look great! Very Happy
You made a great recovery with the keystock and outer ring. Cool
I'm sure your buddy is going to be very happy with his and enjoy yours.
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25 12 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Troy, congrats on two Great builds my Friend they look awesome. Very Happy You should post a pic of the square circle that was freaky. Like Mike say's "sometimes you gotta ignore Kevin". Shocked Laughing

Hybrid Cooker
TrailerBuilder
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25 12 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GF, thanks man Very Happy It was a pretty decent build really, If I would have only had more free time to work on them, it wouldnt have too nearly as long. My buddy will be pretty happy with his Im sure. He stopped by a couple times while I was messing with mine and tossed a couple hints out there. Laughing

Thanks Kevin, and thanks for the help on this one too. I had a few questions on this one, but just wait til I get started on my Santa Maria Shocked
TrailerBuilder
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26 12 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, so Ill post the dreaded keystock pictures. Im sure Im like most and that you dont always see all the pictures taken or of some of the progress or the cut aparts and so on. This was one of the parts of the build only a couple sets of eyes seen, but now its out there for the world Laughing

I used the 1/4" keystock to raise my disco off the burner ring so the flame would travel up and not turn down. It looked unfinished, so in talking with Kevin, decided an outer ring had to be done to make it look right. Didnt want anything drastic or huge looking, so had some extra 1/4" keystock at my disposal and decided to give it a try.

This is the ring I used to get my 1/4" keystock into a circle. I didnt take a picture of the finished ring, but I should of, it was almost a perfect circle Smile

I got it in place on the burner stand and attempted to make a tack weld. You can see in the picture, where the heat marks are on both pieces. I didnt even get a tack, just barely pulled the trigger on my MIG and the keystock jumped nearly 3/4 of an inch Shocked

Got my circle turned back into a circle and had an idea Idea Put the ring back in place and used 2 big sliding clamps to hold my 4 points in place. Applied a weld and the damn thing walked more. It was held in place so it couldnt jump, but it warped like a biatch fast.

Took the clamps off and this is what I had Shocked My circle was a square Confused Called Kevin and said "your not gonna believe this $hit" and of course he didnt, until he seen the pics. We talked a couple different options and I was about to go with Wreckless's advice of "sometimes you have to ignore Kevin" and we come up with a plan B which I decided against and went with our plan C Laughing

Plan C...added more 1/4" keystock to the inner ring and then rolled a piece of 1" flat and made my ring. Turned out well and in the end, looks better than what I think the keystock would have looked anyways.

2 lessons learned here...1, 1/4" keystock is a big NO NO...2, Dont always listen to Kevin Laughing Laughing Laughing
KAKid
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26 12 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simply superb. I spent a lot of time just staring at your builds with a bit of envy and a heckuva lot of wistfullness. Shocked
As satisfying as building one's own gear is, I think there's greater satisfaction solving those nagging problems that always seem to pop up unexpectedly. Cool Well done, Sir Very Happy
Now Cook! Laughing

Chargriller Outlaw w/SFB and Mods
Pair of UDS's
10 gal CI Chili/Jambalaya pot
TrailerBuilder
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26 12 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KAKid, thank you for following the build and your kind words. This build was pretty simple, but still threw a couple nice curve balls. If it wasnt for the curve balls though, what fun would the build be Rolling Eyes Thanks again for the words and dont worry, the cooks will be coming soon.
BBcue-z
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26 12 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice cookers!!
I wish I know how to do something like that.
TrailerBuilder
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27 12 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank You BBcue-z Very Happy
Maniac
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27 12 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

glad you worked that out....i hate the pull you get with the weld...ss really sucks if you do not know what your doing like me Embarassed great job Very Happy
TrailerBuilder
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29 12 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Maniac! If everything worked out like I planned with no reworks, I'd have a ton more projects already done Laughing
ChuckieD
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31 12 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Troy,
I'm going to take some of the credit for these builds.
You and I know why they finally got done...
You wanted them finished before Bruce's drum was done, cuz you would never hear the end of it if you didn't! Laughing Laughing

All kidding aside... You did some fine work on the discos and I learn a few things from you every time you post a build. Excellent work my brother!

Big Green Egg XL
UDS build
The Old Brick Barbecue Project!
TrailerBuilder
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31 12 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuck, bro I absolutely had to have these builds done before Bruce got his UDS. Laughing Thanks for taking a look and thanks for the kind words.
R.anderson

PostPosted: Sat May 05 12 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

where is the best place to find a old disc I will have to check some auction and talk to some farmers
TrailerBuilder
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat May 05 12 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

R.anderson, you can pick used discs up from farmers if you have any you know. I found a jackpot of some a while back, but they were all 12", too small. You can also find new ones at most farm implement stores. Good luck in your search Smile
KAKid
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat May 05 12 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

R. Anderson - Quite a few folks buy them new from Agri-Supply. I got my used discs free from a farm equipment dealer/repair shop. They had about 40 of 'em in a junk pile in the back 40.

Chargriller Outlaw w/SFB and Mods
Pair of UDS's
10 gal CI Chili/Jambalaya pot
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Discada Cooking All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: