FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Salmon vs Steelhead trout

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AzBBQ

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03 12 1:11 pm    Post subject: Salmon vs Steelhead trout Reply with quote

I must say that the Steelhead(smaller pc on right side) turned out better than the salmon but thats just me and the wifes opinion so using mesquite and catsclaw smoked for 3 hrs at 225-250 with a dash of lemmon and pepper the steelhead was more moist and tender maybe it has a higher fat content both were smoked with the skin on the underside seved with some brussel sprouts sprinkled with parmesan cheese and some good wine to wash it all down Very Happy Damn I love smoking my own food

Custom offset char-broil smoker
Weber Baby-Q grill
RollinontheRvr
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03 12 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fat content will depend on which species of Salmon you used. Chinook has just about the highest fat content of all the Salmonids I believe. I have fished for and eaten both Chinook and Steelhead. Cook properly they are both really good fish to eat. If you would like some good recipes shoot me a PM and I can pass along a couple that have been Family approved via summer BBQ. One other thing to keep in mind is that farm raised Salmon are out there in the markets to. If you want the best, look for "Wild Caught" but plan on spending a pretty penny for it.

Silver Salmon or Coho Salmon are also very good eating. I like to use Silvers for brining and smoking. They turn out super yummy brined in sea salt, brown sugar and allspice.

Oh, I almost forgot. You cooked up some really tasty looking fish there. Very Happy

Four years active duty Infantry - '81 -'85

My Local Dive Shop: Oregon City Scuba
kingofcool
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03 12 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never, ever eat wild steelhead. They are a protected species.
RollinontheRvr
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04 12 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kingofcool wrote:

There are some areas where Wild Steelhead are allowed to be sold in the market because they are by catch. This way they are not thrown away and wasted.

I do agree that Wild Steelhead should be released unharmed. There are a couple of rivers near me here in Portland where you are allowed to keep one Wild Salmon per week with a total of 5 per year. Personally I think all wild Salmon and Steelhead should be released and hatchery fish plants should be increased.

AzBBQ

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04 12 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The package said wild caught usa pacific pink salmon not sure on the steelhead if farm raised or wild caught but it all was still great eating next up is going to be a chuck roast low and slow challenge cant wait will post pics of the cook as soon as I get er done

Custom offset char-broil smoker
Weber Baby-Q grill
Toga
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04 12 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AzBBQ Steelhead are definitely a step above salmon in the flavor department.

kingofcool wrote:

kingofcool there are other places in the world other than the Pac NW that have steelhead. We have wild steelhead in the great lakes that have been naturally reproducing since their introduction over a hundred years ago....... They are NOT a protected species. With that said I do encourage catch and release when possible.

UDS
ECB x2
Gasser
RollinontheRvr
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04 12 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toga...what kind of Salmon are running in the Lakes? Species wise I mean. Steelhead is a great tasting fish but out here you just can;t beat a nice fresh Chinook fillet. Packed full of flavor. Taste is a subjective thing though just like with anything else. One mans banana cream pie is another's poison. Very Happy

roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04 12 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If ya want fresh water steelhead come up to Ontario in the late summer before the salmon run. The Great lakes has a nice population. Most rivers in the Georgian bay area have a healthy run.
LIAR #100
kingofcool
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04 12 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess I should say "never eat sea run, wild steelhead." Technically great lakes "steelhead" aren't steelhead (because they are not anadromous) hence the reason they're not protected.

RollinontheRvr - I respect your opinion but you should look at the damage that the hatchery fish are doing on the genetic line of the fish.
Hell Fire Grill
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05 12 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RollinontheRvr wrote:
Toga...what kind of Salmon are running in the Lakes? Very Happy

All the salmon and steelhead species in the great lakes, that I'm aware of, are transplanted Pacific species.

I say the recreational sportsman should be allowed to keep what he catches, its the commercial fishing (gillnets mainly) that has done the lion's share of the damage to the wild run, aside from the dams. Although the numbers have improved over the years despite dams and the gamies giving the commercial fishermen more and more time to get their bag (you can thank cindy lefluer and her gil nettin husband and the CCA with their fancy dinner parties at your expense for that) here in the NW. Dont make me bring up the damage the russians have done by sweeping the river with nets at night catching salmon and sturgeon (by the hundreds) just to poach for roe and caviar to sell in export markets for millions of dollars, and very rarely busted for it I'll add. Thats all I'm gonna say about that on this thread.

Sorry for crashing your fish party Ill go disrupt another thread now.
SmokenDevo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05 12 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kingofcool wrote:
Guess I should say "never eat sea run, wild steelhead." Technically great lakes "steelhead" aren't steelhead (because they are not anadromous) hence the reason they're not protected.

RollinontheRvr - I respect your opinion but you should look at the damage that the hatchery fish are doing on the genetic line of the fish.

Just where are you getting your information from??
There are Steelheads all over the world just not the ocean, same fish different waters
kingofcool
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06 12 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SmokenDevo wrote:
kingofcool wrote:

Just where are you getting your information from??
There are Steelheads all over the world just not the ocean, same fish different waters

Steelhead is actually a sea run rainbow trout. Great lakes "steelhead" are not sea run (lake run). Hence they are not technically steelhead.

Here's a bit of info. More can be found here: http://www.nmfs.noaa.gov/pr/species/fish/steelheadtrout.htm.

Quote:
They are a unique species; individuals develop differently depending on their environment. While all O. mykiss hatch in gravel-bottomed, fast-flowing, well-oxygenated rivers and streams, some stay in fresh water all their lives. These fish are called rainbow trout. The steelhead that migrate to the ocean develop a slimmer profile, become more silvery in color, and typically grow much larger than the rainbow trout that remain in fresh water.
Toga
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07 12 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RollinontheRvr wrote:
Toga...what kind of Salmon are running in the Lakes? Species wise I mean. Steelhead is a great tasting fish but out here you just can;t beat a nice fresh Chinook fillet. Packed full of flavor. Taste is a subjective thing though just like with anything else. One mans banana cream pie is another's poison. Very Happy

RollinontheRvr we have chinook and coho here.

kingofcool They are the same species of fish found spawning in many of PNW rivers. The only difference is they spend their ocean days in the fresh water of the great lakes rather than salt water. Here is a link to a great overview of the history of steelhead in the great lakes. http://steelheadsite.com/forum/cms.php?cms=article_History_of_Great_Lakes_Steelhead

UDS
ECB x2
Gasser
kingofcool
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07 12 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toga wrote:
RollinontheRvr wrote:

RollinontheRvr we have chinook and coho here.

kingofcool They are the same species of fish found spawning in many of PNW rivers. The only difference is they spend their ocean days in the fresh water of the great lakes rather than salt water. Here is a link to a great overview of the history of steelhead in the great lakes. http://steelheadsite.com/forum/cms.php?cms=article_History_of_Great_Lakes_Steelhead

No argument there but the one difference, that they spend they their ocean days in fresh rather than salt, is the distinguishing difference. Not a big deal and certainly not for a food site. I'll stop posting on the topic because I think I am just coming across as a jerk which is far from my intentions.
loren

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07 12 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

save the wild steelhead don;t buy them, and tell the store owner not to sell them, and if he continues don't shop there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: