FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Questions from the new guy

View previous topic :: View next topic  
whiskers57

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13 13 10:57 pm    Post subject: Questions from the new guy Reply with quote

When ya'll give the height of the exhaust, is that total end to end or height above the cooking chamber?
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13 13 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whiskers57, I use the total height end to end.

Hybrid Cooker
whiskers57

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14 13 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so in my case, and I didn't do the math (haven't figured that out yet) my FB is 15 1/2 X 16 X 24 and the CC is 16 x 35 and I use a 15' x 4' stack from the grate to the end with the damper on top? Also will be a RF .
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14 13 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are your numbers in the calculator.

Link to BBQ Pit Calculator

Looks like you need 24" of 4" pipe for the exhaust.

I still work here!
whiskers57

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14 13 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks both of you. You guys are great. I didn't get to look at the calculator very close last night. SoEzzy after seeing how you put the numbers in, I think I can figure it out on my smoker. The one I'm working on now is a friends (experiment). Mine will be a 20" pipe 4 1/2' long with a square FB probably 24" x 24" x 24" and a RF plate. I'll try to get my wife to show me how to post some pics. Thanks again, whiskers.
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14 13 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion a 24" square firebox for a 20" x 54" chamber will be way to large. Anything over about 20 % to 25% larger starts to affect the draft.
Will it work? Sure it will.
Is it needed? No it is not.
These are just my thoughts. Very Happy

Hybrid Cooker
whiskers57

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14 13 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

K.a.m. does a 16" square x 24 long sound more in line?
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14 13 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whiskers57, in my opinion I would probably go with an 18.5" square. This size while a bit larger than your 16" x 16" x 24" would allow for a bit more width and height.
A cooker your size will not require a lot of coal base to run if it draws properly. Getting a firebox to look proportionately fitted is sometimes a challenge. I try for square because in my opinion they just look better.
One of the biggest problems folks have with overly huge fireboxes is they believe they need a huge fire to run the cooker.
My backyard cooker is 24" x 36" with an 18" x 24" pipe firebox. When my cooker is stable and running at around 250° my coal base is about 10" to 12" diam and 3" tall. I feed it one split about 12" long x 3" diam every 30 to 45 minutes.
Just trying to give you some information on what to expect out of a cooker your size.
I hope this helps. Very Happy

Hybrid Cooker
whiskers57

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15 13 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

k.a.m. I appreciate your helpful thoughts and experience on this. I was going to a 24" long FB to be able to take a little longer stick of wood. When I cabbage onto some wood the guys I work with seem to think they have to cut fireplace length logs. I don't want to complain because they always remember to cut me some hickory when they find it. The cooker I'm using now is a Charbroil I've had for a while. It does good until a breeze comes along. The FB is round and 16" Dia. x 16 long.
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15 13 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whiskers57, I feel your pain on the long pieces Brother. I cut my logs in half then usually split each half yielding four pieces from one log for my back yard cooker.

Hybrid Cooker
whiskers57

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16 13 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I'm trying to do with the cooker I'll build for myself is have one that won't drop 50 degrees in temp with every little breeze that comes along. That's the only real problem I have with my charbroil. But with this REDNECK " bigger is ALWAYS better". Right now I'm using lump charcoal for heat and wet hickory for smoke, but I have to pretty much keep the cooker in my shop when cooking in cold weather, that means the Harley has to go into my better half's garage, the one that's built onto the house!

Last edited by whiskers57 on Mon Dec 16 13 7:24 am; edited 1 time in total
whiskers57

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16 13 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One other thing, I want a flat top FB to set my mop sauce and such on just to keep it a little warm.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: