FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Reheating Brisket in Oven?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thomas P.
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22 06 3:36 am    Post subject: Reheating Brisket in Oven? Reply with quote

I did a search for this and couldn't find exactly what I wanted, so, here goes...

I'm experimenting with shipping frozen cooked briskets through the mail to the family this Christmas. The only thing I still need is a recommended temp & time to stick it back in the oven to reheat it.

I figure not everyone has a pit, so if they let it thaw completely and then wrap it well in foil, the oven should work well.

Any tips?

GO VOLS!
skybob
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22 06 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey there Cousin Thomas, long time no chat. Think we lost track of each other awhile back. My mailing address is ....... Laughing
As for reheating, I'd be tempted to put it on a rack in a turkey roaster around 250 for a couple hours. Making sure to have some liquid (broth or something like that) in the bottom.
Anyway, cuz, been good chatting once again. I'll be looking for that Care Package. Smile
Bedlam BBQ
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22 06 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reheat brisket in the oven. I just put it into an aluminum pan and cover it with foil (sealing the edges really well). Put it into the oven on 250* for an hour or so -- it will heat up pretty fast with the pan covered.

I've never had a problem with it drying out.

Or, if you are shipping it to them in a vacu-seal bag, just have them thaw it out, drop the sealed bag into a pot of boiling water for about 10 minutes. Then take the bag out, cut it open and use a fork to fluff the compacted brisket if you are sending chopped.

Stumper clone with Stoker
Bedlam BBQ
Competition Team
Thomas P.
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28 06 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've asked around as well, and I think 250 is the best bet. I guess I'll go with in an aluminum or roasting pan, covered with foil. I suppose an hour should do, unless I hear otherwise from the gallery... Laughing

the only question remaining is, do you want a little water in the pan, with the meat on a rack above it? Or do you want the meat to sit in an inch or so of water?

GO VOLS!
Bedlam BBQ
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28 06 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you going to slice and/or chop it before shipping? An uncut brisket will take longer to reheat than cut up pieces. If you want the reheat to be an hour, then I would suggest sending sliced and/or chopped brisket.

I wouldn't suggest adding any water to the pan when reheating - that might make mushy brisket. As long as they get a good tight seal with the foil, it should be fine.

Stumper clone with Stoker
Bedlam BBQ
Competition Team
Thorbq

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28 06 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We went overboard this summer and cooked about 75 lbs of briscit and only about 45 prople showed up to eat (I ate my 2 lbs but I think there were a few slackers). We vacuum sealed the uncut portions. When reheating I wrapped very tightly in foil, set in a pan then did the 250* thing for about 1.5 hours.
Thomas P.
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29 06 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't plan on slicing, since I didn't feel like spending the time to slice it all perty Very Happy

So, I guess the current consensus on a whole brisket is 1.5 hrs at 250, wrapped in foil.

Thanks guys!

GO VOLS!
Pete
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29 06 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just reheated one just wrapped in a double layer of foil a couple of weeks ago at 250. I wanted to get it back to 180 and it took about 3 hours. You might not need it that high, but I did because I had to hold it in a cooler for a few more hours for a little tailgating action. It came out great. It was tender, juicy and still hot.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: