FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Home-Made Bologna

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kevin P
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04 12 3:40 am    Post subject: Home-Made Bologna Reply with quote

Here's my first go in the New Year at making Bologna. I've had many requests form the boys to make some—but I wanted to make something UNLIKE the smooth pink stuff one now finds in the supermarkets. I remember year ago getting a 'courser-textured' stronger-flavored bologna from our local butcher shop that you had to 'peel' each slice before eating. Good stuff. Made great fried bologna sandwiches! So here we go...

I had 5 pounds of extra-lean ground beef (90/10) and a 5lb pork shoulder on-hand. The ingredients to be added to the meat shown below:

Cubed the 5lbs of pork and prepped to grind:

Used a 4.5mm plate the first time through:

I then added the 5lbs of lean ground beef to the pork:

I dissolved the cure and kosher salt into 8 oz of water & then added it to the meat:

Mixed in the solution well and let the mixture sit overnight in the fridge:

Next day, I added all the spices and dissolved the SPC and nonfat dry milk in water and pour the solution into the meat & spice mixture:

The mixture really had a nice aroma. So much so that it attracted the attention of my kitchen helper...

Meat well-mixed:

Casings soaking in warm water while I prep to regrind the meat mixture through a finer plate:

Using a extra-fine (3.0mm) grinding plate for the final grind. This is a slow process as the meat paste gets sticky and is a challenge sometimes to get the paste through the grinder. STILL, it is a quicker process than doing the emulsification way with a processor.

Had enough meat to fill one large chub (a little over 8.5lbs), and limited the length so it fit my poacher; and with the leftover I filled two ring casings:

Prepping the smoker: got the smoker up to 110° and hung the chubs with NO smoke for the first 60-90 minutes to dry:

I began applying smoke for the next three hours. Two hours in:

Time to pull from the smoker and prep for the poacher:

I heated the water in the poacher to 165° and plopped the big boy into the hot bath. It was soon joined by other two smaller chubs:

The smaller chubs reached the desired IT (155°) in about 30 minutes, while the larger chub will continue to stay in the hot bath. I pulled the smaller rings, ice-bathed for a quick cool, and let them bloom:

Money shot of the smaller rings. Very tasty little cracker-sized rings of bologna:

Two hours later, the Big Boy reaches 155° so out it comes & into an ice bath. Letting it bloom:

Slicing the chub into 'serving slices':

Sliced and ready to pack up or fry & eat!

SAMPLE TIME: I took a batch of my uneven slices and fried 'em up. Very tasty! Not nearly as overly-salty or mushy as the store-bought stuff. Pan full of Bologna Pac-Men:

Great way to start the New Year!

—Kevin
patruns
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04 12 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome! Don't forget to make some ground bologna sandwich spread. Smile

Char-Griller Outlaw with SFB
Weber Smokey Joe
Weber Q 220
LIAR#49
Damar12
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04 12 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it possible to get your recipe in detail so I get it right the first time?
That looks very good.
Gray Goat
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04 12 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great looking Bologna Kevin, I will give it a try. I agree with you that the store bought stuff just doesn't have any character Laughing I like the idea of adding an extra grind instead of blowing up my processor.

Home made offset
Weber gasser
Weber kettle
UDS
Large BGE
Masterbuilt 30"
Jeb'sQ

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04 12 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks outstanding, I would love to see recipe also, i'm always game for something new, and that looks mighty tasty..
Kevin P
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04 12 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the recipe. It is based on Len Poli's basic Bologna recipe with my variations on the 2nd grind (no need to emulsify) and the smoke/poach combo to finish the batch. I prefer to measure by weight (grams) versus by volume (tsp, tbl, etc) when making sausage.

BOLOGNA
makes 10 lbs -can be ring or large chub

5 LBS PORK SHOULDER
5 LBS LEAN GROUND BEEF
66g Kosher Salt
85g Non Fat Dry Milk
(or 55g NFDM; 30g SoyProtein)- this is what i used
36g Dextrose
12g Cure#1
7.0g White Pepper
6.0g Paprika
4.5g Nutmeg
3.0g Garlic powder
2.0g Allspice
2.0g Coriander
1-1/2 cups Ice water

Soak Casing in warm water.
Use a medium plate (4.5) to grind pork. Mix salt and cure together in 1/2cup warm water.
Mix this solution into meats until well-mixed. Let sit for an hour or so in fridge. Add remaining ingredients and grind again through fine plate (3.0). Stuff into casings. Air dry. Preheat smoker to 100° and hang bologna for an hour. Raise temp to 130° for another hour. Smoke time: 90 minutes-2hours. Raise temp to 160° and hold until IT of bologna reaches 155° Alternatively, poach chubs in hot bath @165 degrees until 155° is reached. Cool bologna in ice bath and hang to bloom. Refrigerate. Slice after well-chilling.

-Kevin
Awning Guy
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04 12 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin, That looks awesome... Thanks, for all your posts. I made your Thia Chicken Sausage last weekend, It came out very good. Its quite the gourmet treat.
My buddy and I are designing a homemade sausage stuffer. I'll post picks when we get under way.
Disco
Tom C
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04 12 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That really looks good! Thanks for sharing how you did it!
Sam3

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04 12 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gotta admit, I printed this out too. Thanks Kevin!
Kevin P
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05 12 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I got most of the bologna packed up into about a dozen food-saver bags and some in ziplocs. The smaller ring chubs will go in the deli-drawer of the fridge.

Awoke this morning about 3:00 am to the smell of frying bologna. My youngest son (19)- the night owl- decided he didnt want to wait until sunrise before having some more. Laughing

Griffin
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05 12 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great. Oscar Meyer better look out.
Damar12
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05 12 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the recipe.
stevec3135

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05 12 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great Kevin nice job
Kevin P
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07 12 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awning Guy wrote:
Kevin, That looks awesome... Thanks, for all your posts. I made your Thia Chicken Sausage last weekend, It came out very good. Its quite the gourmet treat.
My buddy and I are designing a homemade sausage stuffer. I'll post picks when we get under way.

I'm glad you had luck & enjoyed the Thai Chix sausage, AG.
Its' an odd combination of ingredients that somehow work together into a real nice meal.

I look forward to seeing what kind of stuffer you guys come up with.

Meanwhile, the bologna is rapidly disappearing. I didnt realize how many LOVE a good bologna! Maybe its a reminder of child-hood, a comfort food, I dunno—but it is tasty! I've given some to the neighbors, co-workers...plus the boys are plowing through it faster than expected. I better get me some fried sandwiches before it all disappears!

- Kevin

Forkin Pork
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18 12 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG, dude that is off the hook bologna, I almost started licking my computer screen.
I copied recipe, gonna try this for sure, thanks man.

Ceritfied KCBS Judge
Weber Silver. ECB, UDS
Up Graded Backwoods Party w/GURU
2011 Lang 84 Deluxe
texbbqpits
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27 13 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin please excuse my newbieness (is that a word) to the sausage making business. Why did you use a mixture of NFDM and soy protein instead of just one or the other? and what type of casing is that. I see the pic of it soaking so I assume its natural but big. Thanks for continuing to share your knowledge. Tom
SlicTrix

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27 13 7:34 pm    Post subject: Grams Throw Me Reply with quote

Do you use a gram scale or web site converter ?

Sorry I am old school like Lbs, tablespoons and teaspoons

But I can get a gram scale to measure, if needed
Kevin P
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28 13 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slic,

I use a digital gram scale vs volume measure to ensure accuracy. This isn't always possible as some recipes only list ingredients in amounts of tsp, TBL & the like. I highly recommend getting an accurate gram scale (most scales give you the option of using either grams or ounces with a simple switch of a button. Accuracy is important particularly when it comes to measuring critical ingredients such as salt and cures. Salt varies dramatically in VOLUME (one tsp of kosher salt is different from one tsp of canning salt, etc.). By using weight, you'll get the correct amount every time (35g kosher salt =35g canning salt).

I've used this scale for a while. Quite reliable—and affordable. Size of a compact disk case (looks like one too!). About $16 from the Amazon marketplace.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000MF4RSO/ref=asc_df_B000MF4RSO2409457?smid=A21DNIDOUBHBD5&tag=dealtmp10322-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395129&creativeASIN=B000MF4RSO
Kevin P
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28 13 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

texbbqpits wrote:
Kevin please excuse my newbieness (is that a word) to the sausage making business. Why did you use a mixture of NFDM and soy protein instead of just one or the other? and what type of casing is that. I see the pic of it soaking so I assume its natural but big. Thanks for continuing to share your knowledge. Tom
Tom, using both ingredients (NFDM & SPC) here was a choice and probably a matter of convenience. I either didnt have enough of one or the other to make it 100% so I combined. By doing this, I thought it might create a nice balance and avoid the problems that can occur if TOO much spc is used (mealy texture, 'beany' taste to meat). It wouldn't hurt to use 100% of either, if measured correctly (by weight.).
I used clear fibrous casings. These are not edible, but are strong and smoke-permeable. Soaking them in warm water softens and makes the casing easier to handle & stuff. They also come in red, mahogany & camouflage. You can buy them from online vendors like Butcher & Packer. Variety of sizes. See here:
http://www.butcher-packer.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=85_93_100&products_id=280
texbbqpits
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28 13 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info Kevin. I did not realize that you soaked fibrous casings but have not researched them yet. Speaking for many of the newbies browsing this board, thank you for sharing your skill and knowledge. Tom
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Sausage Making All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: