FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wooden smoker

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sparks58
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29 11 2:28 am    Post subject: Wooden smoker Reply with quote

There was a post started in the G D forum about building a wooden smoker. From what I understand even low/ slow temps will dry the wood out enough so that it may ignite at a temp as low as 200°. The question is. Will the wood dry out that much if it were located on the Pacific North West coast, where it rains almost every second day? I kinda like the whole concept of a home made wood smoker.
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29 11 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Search the site for WBS (whiskey barrel smoker).

http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/search.php

They are a pain to get them tight enough to hold the heat, they need to be water / smoke tight.

I still work here!
GreenSmoker
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29 11 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or this............

http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4430

Homemade Offset 30 x 30
UDS
Rocket Stove
Liar #92 or is that my age or my IQ or my shoe size or the sum total for all of them?
sparks58
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29 11 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GreenSmoker. Yours was the post I was refering to. That's what got the ball rolling.
SoEzzy. I've seen some of the pics of the whiskey barrel cookers, but it's not quite what I had in mind. Like I said except for the middle of summer, we get an awfull lotta rain so drying out isn't really an issue, I don't think.
Bwing96

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31 11 11:16 am    Post subject: Wood Smoker Reply with quote

I built a wood smoker out of cypress lumber, looks like an outhouse. I tried it at first with charcoal and put about 10 lbs in it. It got up to 500* and didn't ignite but probably wasn't far from it. It was cracking and popping like a wood fire. I read somewhere that wood would readily ignite around 650*.

I decided to put a fish cooker from Home Depot in the bottom for better heat control and have been smoking up to 350* for 2 yrs without any problems. I put an od cast iron skillet on the fish cooker to disperse the heat and to place my smoking chips in,seems to work for me here in Louisiana.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: