FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Look what i found...(food truck build 7/13 update)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hell Fire Grill
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24 11 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to see some progress Jeff. Have a great T-day.
Mr Tony's BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25 11 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff T wrote:
Question
For those in the know.
What is the "norm" for the hot water units?
Go tank less or what?
http://tankless-water-heaters.ecrater.com/p/1489927/lp-gas-tankless-hot-water

My new trailer has a 2 gallon[?] 110 v electric that does pretty good - keep in mind, you are going to be conserving water as you will only be holding so much - my new trailer has 40 gallon fresh that I can, but have learned not to use in the average 15 hour day of cleaning / dishes as we go! That little unit takes 10 min to have another load of hot enough water ready, at nowhere near the cost of the on demands! I will try to remember to take a pic / look for the paperwork on it.
Being Blessed with income from my passion!
WWW.MRTONYSBBQ.COM
PaleAle
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25 11 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you do have to remove stickers I found this wheel does wonders! I bought mine at local auto body supply store for $12. You can erase about 15 sq ft of sticker with 1 wheel compared to 24+ hours of heating and scraping!!!!
http://bit.ly/vfzK8V
Jeff T
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01 11 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Tony's BBQ wrote:
Jeff T wrote:
Question
For those in the know.
What is the "norm" for the hot water units?
Go tank less or what?
http://tankless-water-heaters.ecrater.com/p/1489927/lp-gas-tankless-hot-water

My new trailer has a 2 gallon[?] 110 v electric that does pretty good - keep in mind, you are going to be conserving water as you will only be holding so much - my new trailer has 40 gallon fresh that I can, but have learned not to use in the average 15 hour day of cleaning / dishes as we go! That little unit takes 10 min to have another load of hot enough water ready, at nowhere near the cost of the on demands! I will try to remember to take a pic / look for the paperwork on it.

I`m still on the ropes as to what way to go. If i go gas then its running gas lines and finding a place to mount a tank etc etc... if i go "lectric" then what unit is going to be the best for me. My local Menard`s has a whole house electric unit that`ll get the water up to 100 degrees... fast they say ??? pricey little devil at $200 smackers. Forget the name brand as of now but its a point of use unit.

Still looking for that EZ button. Very Happy
I know i want a sink set up that's big enough to wash large pots & steam table pans/roaster liners & the like. Just as well do it once.Wink

Tony... i`d appreciate a pic to two when ya got the time & any info you can dig up on your unit. Thanks bud.
Jeff T
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01 11 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaleAle wrote:
If you do have to remove stickers I found this wheel does wonders! I bought mine at local auto body supply store for $12. You can erase about 15 sq ft of sticker with 1 wheel compared to 24+ hours of heating and scraping!!!!
http://bit.ly/vfzK8V

Thanks PaleAle...
But some one already messed that up for me. Looks like they tried to use an ice scrapper on it. Rolling Eyes Right side will have the serving windows in that area. Left side & rear door will most likely be covered up with another decal.
I use that rubber wheel at the shop also. Best thing since sliced bread, i tell ya what! Very Happy
Mr Tony's BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02 11 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's what I have:

some info:
http://www.americanwaterheater.com/products/pdf/lpe70.pdf

http://www.water-heaters-review.com/tiny-titan-compact-water-heater.html

http://www.amazon.com/American-Water-Heaters-E1E2-5US015V-Electric/dp/B0009X8NN4

$237.00 on Amazon, only price I saw anywhere...I do know it gets hot enough to scald my hands!!! I would replace it with the same if the first one lasts a while!
Being Blessed with income from my passion!
WWW.MRTONYSBBQ.COM
Jeff T
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02 11 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome... Thanks Tony!
Looks exactly like what i`ve been searching for. Costs a little more up from but sure beats running gas line and hauling tanks.
Jeff T
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31 11 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to say not much progress on the inside of the van but....
A couple of weeks ago i took it to the mechanic shop to get it checked over, change the oil, flush and fill etc... get it ready for winter.
Bad news is they found a bad lobe on the cam(worn purt near round), bad cam bearings, bad U joint, leaky radiator along with a list of other minor repairs. Crying or Very sad $2000.00 later..... she`s good to go.
So much for a great deal. Haven't got the bill yet but that's there estimate. Might be a little less. Cost on the radiator was $370 bucks along. Pricey little devil. Shocked
Lesson learned when purchasing used emergency vehicles.... Low miles don't mean low hours. Must of spent a lot of hours on the scene with the engine idling. After all it is a 1980 vehicle, i kinda expected some repairs but not that much.
Well at least i don't have to worry about any breakdowns this summer (i hope)...every thing else checked out.
Up side is the carb has been replace with an edlebrock & the water pump is new. I was told that the factory carbs on those 360`s were crap.

The wife bought me a back-up camera for Christmas so this weekend i think i`ll try to install it. Should make for easier hook-up to the smoker.
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31 11 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to see some progress Jeff! Very Happy

Sorry to hear of the engine woes. Shocked

The HWH that Tony recommends is a great choice.

The instant on whole house types pull a HUGE load and require a heavy dedicated circuit to run them.

The small vented gas jobs do work well, and save on the electric pull. Wink
Jeff T
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05 12 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think i`ll go with an electric water heater like the Titan. I really don't want to mess with gas. The engine woes kinda took the wind ($$$) out of my sails for now. I have a feeling this is going to be a longer project than what i expected.

But... over the weekend i cleaned out the back end of the van. Ripped out the crappy green carpet, which was glued down with what i believe to be "liquid nails". Man what a mess! Disassemble & removed the even crappier shelf systems that was in it.

Once that was all cleaned out i scrubbed it all down good with a degreaser. Filled a bunch of screw holes with auto body seam sealer. I was going to replace the FRP Panels on the ceiling but after a good scrubbing they look pretty good. Maybe a little caulking and we`re good to go.

Looks like all i`ll need to do is replace the side wall panels with new FRP, which will only be 4 sheets. This van has a roll up rear door, not sure what i`ll do there so i`ll talk to my HD Rep and see if there will be any snags there, final word ya know...
I also installed that backup camera. Now that is going to be nice to hook up the smoker and be`ins its a cube van all i have is side mirrors the camera makes backing up a whole bunch easier & safer knowing whats behind me.
Sorry no pics all i had with me was a crappy camera phone.
bootlegbbq
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06 12 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good find Jeff T. Sounds like you know what you're doing. Looking forward to more pics.
250gal. Offset Smoker
84 Lang Kitchen
Ya know how ya git to Carnegie Hall don't cha...practice

www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=36580
Jeff T
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07 12 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well...
Tiny titan water heater - (check)
hand sink with faucet - (check)
3 compartment sink with baskets and faucet - (check)
water tanks (shipped on its way)
water pump (should be here on the 9th)
30x60 Stainless Steel prep table (check)
Serving window - 30x36 Slider glider from Menard`s. Not very big but heck i`m not spending $1200 on a concession window that's for sure, so this should work. (check)
So....
The cost of the cube van & repairs plus all the above equipment..... $7146.31 & i aint even stated to build it yet. Shocked
Wanna buy a $5 pulled pork sandwich? Razz
Jeff T
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07 12 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question ?
Suggestions welcome.

Got`s ta thinking again and thought this might be a good idea. There "should" be everything i need in this kit to plumb the food truck plus extra`s for future repairs etc. Looks to me to have only straight fittings, no angles or bends. Plenty of tubing though, i`m sure way more than i need. Kinda pricey too... $382.95 Brother & i are going to do the work. Brother works for the water dept. here in town so i think between the two of us we should be able to handle it.

http://www.pexsupply.com/HydroPEX-CRIMPPACK-PEX-Crimp-Starter-Kit-13359000-p

What do ya`ll think.... over kill or what?
Jarhead
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07 12 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Ben, I mean Jeff, Dover.
Look on Lowes under PEX.
Crimp tool is about $35 Item #: 197243
PVC cutter $15 Item #: 361945
100' 1/2 PEX $25 Item #: 289926 or Item #: 307998
Fittings vary.
That's all I bought about 3 years or so ago. I replumbed my 16x70 mobile home with just the above tools and paid less than $200. Still have leftovers destined for the vending trailer.

Jarhead's World Blog
KCBS CBJ & HMFIC Debbie's Q Shack
tanglediver

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07 12 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like how your reciever turned out. I have done a few like it at work, nice score for certain. Smile
(Forgot to read page 2 though...) Rolling Eyes
bootlegbbq
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07 12 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check your local hardware store, sometimes they have these types of tools for rent. Also, check your local rental company unless you just want to have the tool in your arsenal...then again I've purchase some very expensive tools/equipment from rental companies, sometimes less than half price.
250gal. Offset Smoker
84 Lang Kitchen
Ya know how ya git to Carnegie Hall don't cha...practice

www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=36580
Jeff T
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08 12 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey i`m a body man not a plumber.Very Happy
Ok chucklehead.. i mean jarhead your right i checked my local Menards and you got me on that one. Very Happy

More question`s though....
What type of crimp the ring style or the cinch style?
And what size of tubing 1/2 or 3/4 ?
Oh and the fittings??? plastic(ProPEX EP) or brass ?

Thanks...... Very Happy
Maniac
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08 12 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff....1/2" should do....rings go with the tool you borrow or buy....and i like brass if you buy get the multi tool does more than 1 size.....would only 3/4 if volume was a concern.....which should not be because you are trying to conserve Wink
Jeff T
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18 12 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a slow week at work so Friday i thought i`d better get started on the FRP panels and install the window.
Oh yeah.... sorry for the blurry cell phone pics but i can never remember to take a decent camera along.

Here is all the "stuff" Sinks, water heater & pump, window etc...

Decided i`d start on the left side. After removing the two sheets of melamine panels i discovered it had an inch of foam insulation in it, that's better than nothing so i left it in.

Went up pretty quick held in place with some stainless screws (should work) & a bit of adhesive.
The melamine on the front wall was in good shape & the FRP in the roof had no damage other then being a bit yellow from age so it stays. Will try to scrub the roof with a bleach type of product to see if i can get it white again. The roll up door on the inside will get a fresh coat or two of paint.

Saturday i removed the old melamine on the right side, cut & framed in the hole with one inch square tube. Installed the window & caulked the snot out of it... shouldn't leak screwed & glued.

Nuther shot back a step or two.

Caulked the snot out of the outside and trimmed it in aluminum strips and a piece of one inch aluminum angle on the top to act as a drip rail for water run off.
Going to see if i can scrape up some aluminum diamond plate and trim the corners with 2x2 inch pieces.
Sunday the wife is going to help & paint the roll up door & misc. trim on the inside while i install the right side FRP panels. Next week the water tanks should be here and the plumbing should start on the weekend.

More bad news though.... when i drove it to the shop and pulled it in i noticed antifreeze dripping from the front of my $2300 dollars worth of repairs. Hopefully they messed up a water pump gasket while putting it back together or some thing & its not another money pit of a repair. Seems i just cant win with this motor.Evil or Very Mad
Hell Fire Grill
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18 12 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its coming right along an lookin good Jeff.

Im sure you'll get the bugs worked out of that motor and forget all about it when the greenbacks start flowing in instead of out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: