FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Texas BBQ journey
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rocko-la
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Nov 08 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you get any Kolahes?
Texas 1836
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Nov 08 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely J.O. And family got kolaches!

Backyard Party Gator
pivoguide

PostPosted: Nov 22 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

J.O. Very Happy Very Happy Great post! I can't believe I missed this one. Thanks for sharing your travel log. I am really glad you got to meet Kevin and the Mrs. along with Big Ron and his Dad. They are great people. One comment for Kevin and that brisket. Next time leave the legs on it and use a leash - it is easier on your back if you just walk it to the pit instead of carrying that beast! Smile
J.O.
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Nov 23 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don`t really know what kolaches are but I am sure we had some Very Happy

Pivoguide: We chopped the legs of the brisket, Yoda cooked it on a WSM with limited space Laughing

Texas Trip
Projects
J.O.
BBQ Fan

I googled kolaches. No, we did not have any of those! We got crazy on food that used to have horns or a tail, not much pastry or cakes.

Texas Trip
Projects
Rocko-la
BBQ Super Fan

The Kolaches in TX aren't a true representation of the original. They are basically a dinner roll with a mini sausage inside. A sort of pig-in-a-blanket. There are different types both sweet and savory, but the pig-in-a-blanket type is the one most people talk about.
FreightTrain

J.O. wrote:
The story continues.. This is from City market in Luling. The word on the street is to go for the ribs, so we did. The word was right, amazing ribs! Weird thing was that the place faded a bit compared to Lockhart, don`t really know why because the food was great and the place had everything and then some.
We got the feeling that City market was a local thing more than an attraction. When we walked in there with our little baby a cowboy coming out said: "Y`all are doing the right thing with that baby" Cool
We REALLY miss Texas!!! We´ll be back there asap, and that`s a promise Very Happy

What`s up with the hardhat?

LOL that is my father inlaw in the hard hat.
Nukester

PostPosted: Nov 24 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow just found this forum and this is the first post I read. Looks like a great time! And I know the food was great, it brings back great memories.

Next time you come down, there is a smokehouse called Prasek's just outside of El Campo in a tiny town called Hillje. They make great sausage and jerky, not really a BBQ joint though.

Awesome post, y'all come back soon!
X-Roughneck
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Dec 12 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

FreightTrain wrote:
J.O. wrote:
The story continues.. This is from City market in Luling. The word on the street is to go for the ribs, so we did. The word was right, amazing ribs! Weird thing was that the place faded a bit compared to Lockhart, don`t really know why because the food was great and the place had everything and then some.
We got the feeling that City market was a local thing more than an attraction. When we walked in there with our little baby a cowboy coming out said: "Y`all are doing the right thing with that baby" Cool
We REALLY miss Texas!!! We´ll be back there asap, and that`s a promise Very Happy

What`s up with the hardhat?

LOL that is my father inlaw in the hard hat.

WOW,no kiddin Freight Train!!! He's been there for a long time? I know back in the 80's one guy always had a hard hat on.

This thread bout made me sick....MAN DO I MISS LULING. When you walk out the City Market door,point left,cross 183 and go 4 miles to Mc Neil is where i used to live.Right in the S turns.Used to hang out at the Tradin Post,Windy Point or The Log Cabin toward Kingsbury.Boy was that some good ole times.Luling didn't have enough housing back then when the oilfield BOOM was on.EVERY beer joint around was Hopping.Luling BBQ was a plumbing store back then.Drinking and driving was legal if you was under the limit.Oil field hands drank all day at their jobs.I can smell that Q right now. Thanks JO for the memories ! What a great thread !!!!!!
Rocko-la
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Dec 12 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

X-Roughneck wrote:
Drinking and driving was legal if you was under the limit.

When we moved there in 98 they had just passed the open container law. We were like, "they didn't have one till now?" Even after that you'd see guys driving around with a Bud (or Shiner) in their hand.
missionsusmc
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Feb 26 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got the link to this from KAM's new cooker thread.
Glad you had fun down there. Next time you come to the States, go to Memphis. I guess I'm kinda partial, but they've got some good Q there, too. I've always wanted to go to TX to try some places, do the whole tourist thing....DFW, the Alamo, etc, just never have the time or money. Glad you had fun. You've got a beautiful family.

Mary had a little lamb, a little brisket, a little ribs, and boy she was full!!!
htrisna
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Aug 09 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

J.O. You have been in more places in Texas than I who lives in Sugar Land, TX. Enjoyed the thread, and hurry back.
erniesshop
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Aug 10 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

J.O............That's what I call a Vacation!
Thanks for letting me tag along !
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: