FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Stumps and Superior Vs Backwoods and Pitmaker

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vulcanus

PostPosted: Sep 18 2011    Post subject: Stumps and Superior Vs Backwoods and Pitmaker Reply with quote

Hello everyone from Italy Very Happy

I need to know the differences between these Smokers.
The first group (Stumps and Superior) has a separate gravity feed firebox
The second group (BackWood and Pitmaker Vault) has a classic lower firebox (like UDS)

The questions are:
1) Which are the differences between these groups of smoker? (Lower firebox Vs Separate firebox)
2) Do you have any closeup pics of the heat deflector/grease drain and how it works? (Stumps and Superior)

Thanks to all
Michele. Very Happy
Wilcox farmer

PostPosted: Sep 18 2011    Post subject: Cabinet smokers Reply with quote

Great questions! Cannot wait for responses.
Vulcanus

PostPosted: Sep 19 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Wilcox Very Happy

I would like to know the differences between the "UDS system" and the "offset system".
Are there reasons to prefer "UDS" to "separate firebox"?
Obviously more job, more weight and more money.
The UDS is more simply to use?

In an offset smoker (standard or gravity feed) the smoke and the heat entering in the smoke chamber through a small tube (for example 6 inches). In systems such as "The Good One Marshall" the "tube" is as wide as the smoke chamber.
Which are the differences?

Thanks to all. Very Happy
istock74
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sep 19 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have any close up pics of my Superior but I can take some. Ill throw them up here afterwards.
UDS
Weber Performer
StickPigBBQ
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sep 20 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

The superior and stumps I cant really speak well of because I have no real experience with them other than seeing other people cook with them. The Backwoods I have cooked on and I built a BWS clone and I have a few friends that use Pitmaker Vaults. The main difference as far as I can tell in all of these is design. The BWS and Pitmaker are reverse flow insulated cabinet smokers with a water pan (as Im sure the other two have).

You will undoubtedly find various answers from everyone that owns one of the aformentioned smokers but it really all boils down to two things at the end of the day......

Price and Personal preference. Having used a BWS and a pitmaker, I am more parital to them personally. Although the Stumps and Superiors work just as well.

Good luck!

Josh

Offset Smoker Build....In the planning stages.....
......if you cant drink it, SMOKE IT!
SoEzzy
BBQ Super All Star

A UDS is based on a 210 ltr oil barrel, mixed with parts from a Weber 22.5" Kettle, (the most common charcoal grill in America), so it is cheap to make, often someone can pick up a drum for under $25.00, and with a step drill, ($20.00), and some hardware ($10.00), some expanded metal, ($10.00), can build a working UDS smoker with the parts from 1 Weber Kettle, and be smoking for around $60.00 or 45 €.

The UDS has the charcoal basket inside at the bottom, holes for the intakes and exhausts, (use magnets to cover all or part of a hole for infinitely variable control), you load it with fuel at the beginning of a cook and it will burn 16 hours with you adjusting the intakes to regulate the amount of heat produced.

http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=49419 here's my simple how to on the UDS!

The offsets have a side fire box, this is what makes them "off set" the cheap ones that you can buy are made of thin metal and they don't work well out of the box, they need several modifications to work well, the more expensive ones with thicker metal, may still need a couple of modifications, but they do contain the heat better than the thinner ones.

With an offset you can also add a charcoal basket, but they need to be tended every 45 - 60 minutes, and you need to monitor the amount of fuel in the fire box, so that you are burning a small hot fire, (more efficient, cleaner burning), rather than overloading the fuel, this creates a less efficient burn, smoldering wood instead of burning wood, and a colder fire.

I have UDS's, (both 55 gallon / 210 ltr and 85 gallon / 325 ltr), a Small thick Brinkmann Cimarron (1/4" steel), offset, a WSM, and an Electric smoker, I also have an ECB, (unmodified), and 2 or 3 Weber Kettles.

http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=36630 here's the offset.

I still work here!
Hotdog
BBQ Fan

StickPigBBQ, You got me curious......
You said that the BWS and Pitmaker were "reverse flow".
I thought those cookers were like a UDS and had heat in bottom of cooker that just went straight-up and out. How does the reverse flow work on a cabnet smoker?

Thanks,
Hotdog
StickPigBBQ
BBQ Fan

Hotdog,

The reverse flow concept works by taking the heat/smoke from the firebox below and chanelling it up to the top of the smoker through hollow walls. There is a gap at the top of the side walls of the inside of the cooking chamber that allows the heat to come out up top. They key to the reverse flow is that it is sealed up top with no exhaust vent. The heat travels downward over the meat and out of the holes in the bottom of the cooking chamber. Those holes lead directly into the exhaust stack and is disipated up through the stack and out of the smoker. I attached a pic of the early stage of my build so you can kind of see what I am talking about. What is not in the pic is that where the cross beam is a the bottom of the cooking chamber is where a water pan goes that seals off the cooking chamber from the heat/smoke below in the firebox. Also you will note the channel iron hanging, that is where my heat diverter slides in to divert the heat to the side walls and keep the water pan from taking the majority of the heat. BWS are all designed this way. Let me know if you need any clarification.

Good luck!

Josh

Offset Smoker Build....In the planning stages.....
......if you cant drink it, SMOKE IT!
Vulcanus

PostPosted: Sep 21 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi istock74 Very Happy
Thank you, I'll wait the closeup photos.

Hi SoEzzy Very Happy
I thought those cookers were like a UDS
I thought that the RF can be used only in a horizontal smoker (like Meadow Creek or Lang).

I don't thought that the RF system can be used also in a vertical cabinet.

Hi StickPigBBQ Very Happy
Thank you very much for the photos, I don't understand very well the American English, therefore a photo is very important to me.
Could you add more photos of your build?

Is there a Vertical Smoker that combine the Reverse Flow and the Gravity Feed?
What do you think about the The Tremore Breeze Smoker?

YouTube link http://youtu.be/uE3cML8Sp1o

Thanks to all
Have a nice day Very Happy
ddting

PostPosted: Oct 07 2011    Post subject: Tremore Breeze Reply with quote

Hello Vulcanus,

First of all, full disclosure: I represent the Tremore Breeze Smoker

You're right, the Breeze does have a gravity feed good for actual wood chunks and/or charcoal (or I guess anything else you want to throw into it) AND it uses some reverse flow principles (check out the site for an animation that shows what happens to heat flow). The unique thing about the Breeze is the gravity feed design is patented... it keeps a perfect temperature for you for hours, and refilling it is easy (saying "it's a Breeze" would've been too tacky). It's also made of double walled stainless steel, so it will lasts for YEARS and never look worse for wear. It's so well insulated that it'll keep a perfect temperature even if it rains, sleets, or snows.

It's a bit pricey at $3999, but it'll last FOREVER.

Dale

Last edited by ddting on Oct 08 2011; edited 1 time in total
SoEzzy
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Oct 08 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dave

http://www.thesmokering.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=56&Itemid=5 if you would like to advertise on this forum, please follow the link.

If you want to contribute to the forum without advertising, please just go ahead.

http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=51247 here are the rules for an easy life... if you have any questions feel free to PM or Email me!

I still work here!
ddting

PostPosted: Oct 08 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apologies. I edited my post to fit the guidelines. Let me know if it's in compliance...
nemoorellc

PostPosted: Oct 08 2011    Post subject: Tremore Breeze capability Reply with quote

The Breeze uses an 8" vertical chute to hold the charcoal and wood.
You can use lump or briquette charcoal and wood chunks. The Breeze controls temperature equally well with any fuel type.

The air flow within the oven is very unique compared to the reverse air flow shown in this post. For the Breeze, the hot air comes into the bottom of the oven and is distributed across the bottom of the oven with an air distribution system. The hot air then mixes turbulently with the air in the oven from top to bottom then ultimately flow out the exhausr out the bottom of the unit. This unique geometry combined with fully insulated walls and keeps the air temperatures to within 8F throughout the oven, bottom to top, left to right, front to back. You don't have to move your meat to have uniforms cooking.

Hope this helps.

Nathan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: