FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bourbon Soaked Smoked Chuck Roast
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnnyrocco

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23 08 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow,..great recipe and great pics
dickb

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12 08 12:49 am    Post subject: seasoning mix Reply with quote

Alien
Where did you find the Smokey Mesquite seasoning mix? The only place I have not tried is Sam's Club as I'm not a member. Chuck roast is on sale this week and I'd like to try your recipe and keep as true as possible.
Thanks for sharing.

dickb
Alien BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12 08 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got it at Sams, but it is available online as well
kellylizjones

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15 08 3:53 am    Post subject: OUTSTANDING! Reply with quote

HEY -HEY we tried chuck roast for labor day with a marinade and rub we use on brisket,,,not so hot,,, never accepting "not so good".. we noticed&followed your recipe to the "T" and have to say it was a huge success!...sneaking a few shots of wild Turkey while making the baste didn't hurt I'm sure,,,
hldhm
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17 08 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has been a hit since the first time I tried it. Both wife and daughter love it and when I ask what to fix on smoker, this is what they ask for.

I did it for some friends and they thought it was prime rib!

THANKS
Junk Yard Dog

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03 08 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to join the forum just to tell Alien that I made his/her Bourbon Soaked Smoked Chuck Roast and it was outstanding !. I did use Sirloin Tip roast because the chucks didn't look good at the store. Thanks, Alien.

Gary in Houston, Texas
jeepdad
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08 08 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I grill this as opposed to smoking it? I don't have a smoker yet?If so, what would chnge? tHANKS

--jeepdad
Alien BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08 08 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a lot of changes,........ set your fire to the side (indirect heat) and add a smoker pouch for the smoke, just monitor your temps as well as possible and cook to the same temp.
jeepdad
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09 08 8:19 am    Post subject: Lessons Learned Reply with quote

I grilled a two pound Chuck Roast tonight for Dnner. I do not have a smoker so I used two of the three burner bars on my gasser placing the marinated roast over the unlit bar. The char-grill temp read 250 degrees so I laid the slab of roast on the grill. I marinated the roast last night and added th dry rub today.

All together the roast was on the grill for about an hour and twenty mins. The meat temp gauge I had never reached an internal temp of 150. I pulled it at 130-140.

The marinade was unbeliavably flavorful and tasty. The roast was tough though. I think this meat is best for a bonafide smoker. Or, I am so new I screwed it up.

Santa is bringing me a 22.5 wsm for Christmas. I want to do a do-over and see how the meat turns out.

I for sure want to get a digital temp gaguge as trying to read that nickel sized gauge in poor lighting was a chore.

The meat was tought but the occasional piece that was tender...man was it good.

I'm learning. Thanks All.

--Jeepdad
kellylizjones

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24 08 10:07 pm    Post subject: MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Reply with quote

WE have had GREAT success with this recipe and it has become a family fav!,,once I learned to trust the TIME restraints,, and temps {used to doing the brisket},,,, I don't OVER cook this one and it comes out perfect everytime,,,this will be on the smoker after we get back from Church Christmas morning,,,doing 6 on the smoker,,,poor wife needs a break from work and all so this is truelly a nice gift for her,, AND all of us tired of the salty boring ham every Christmas,,,
thestooge1

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31 09 9:50 am    Post subject: Cut in half? Reply with quote

I had the butcher shop cut a five pound chuckroast and it is very thick. Do I need to cut it in half before smoking?
Am I correct in saying aroung 2 hours start to finish?

Thanks for the recipe. I can't wait to try it!

Btw, just found this site and it is excellent!
Alien BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31 09 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cook to temp, not time...... about 2 hrs is approximate but to 150 internal is the correct way.
thestooge1

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01 09 1:10 am    Post subject: Cut in half Reply with quote

Cook to temp- understood.

This is why I was wondering about cutting it in half. The roast is about as large as the first picture you posted (4" thick or so).

I am putting 2 10lb briskets on at 2am in hopes they will be ready to remove and put in a cooler by 2pm Sunday (for pre-game poker tournament).

Hopefully, I will be able to put the Roast in the smoker then, and by 5pm all will be ready to eat.

Thanks for the reply.
thestooge1

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20 09 11:36 pm    Post subject: Outcome Reply with quote

I went ahead and cut this in half prior to smoking...

I bought one of the Taylor thermometers and cooked as recommended.
This turned out awesome!!!

As I said, I also smoked two 12 pound brisket, and a bunch of sausages. The first taste I had of the chuck roast was a little strange for me as well as my guests. It turns out that eating this directly after the brisket was the culprit. The folks who just had the chuck roast LOVED it.... so I tried it after the brisket taste had cleared, and it was amazing. It just did not mix well with the brisket.

Thanks for a great recipe... already have folks asking for more.
marleyman
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18 09 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been looking for something else to cook today as my wife is not a big fan of pork Crying or Very sad

But this looks and sounds incredible....I am going to give this a go tomorrow.

Thanks AlienBBQ! Cool
Beer
BBQ-DAWG
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24 09 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys im gonna try this but i do have one question.Why 150 degrees?Isnt a chuck close to a pork butt?Im still a rookie but i just thought you would cook these to a higher temp to break it down more.
Lang hybrid 36
Weber kettle ranch
rabbit91476

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28 09 10:22 am    Post subject: question about substitute Reply with quote

i could not find the smoked mesquite rub. i did find mc cormic mesquite rub. and was thinking of using that and a dash of liquid smoke. i got jim beam for the burbon what does every one think. and i take it oak is the wood of choice. i have oak,pecan peach pear, apple and wild cherry. and i think a little mesquite
BBQ-DAWG
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30 09 4:15 am    Post subject: Re: question about substitute Reply with quote

rabbit91476 wrote:
i could not find the smoked mesquite rub. i did find mc cormic mesquite rub. and was thinking of using that and a dash of liquid smoke. i got jim beam for the burbon what does every one think. and i take it oak is the wood of choice. i have oak,pecan peach pear, apple and wild cherry. and i think a little mesquite
I couldnt find it either, so i added a little steak seasoning and smoked paprika.I didnt care for it,and my meat was super fatty too .gross.It looks awesome when the rest of ya did it though,i think i just suck. Laughing
Lang hybrid 36
Weber kettle ranch
Alien BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30 09 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BBQ-DAWG wrote:
Hey guys im gonna try this but i do have one question.Why 150 degrees?Isnt a chuck close to a pork butt?Im still a rookie but i just thought you would cook these to a higher temp to break it down more.

Yes and no, if you have a really fatty piece of meat then the longer cook is in order or trim the excess fat. However, the longer you cook the beef, the more "roast like" flavor you will get. Cooking to 150 will give you a more "steak like" flavor especially if you trim the excess fat or (and this takes practice) sear it at the last moment to crisp up the outside fat. I like to choose a thick marbled piece without a lot of excess fat. I cook it to 125 and then sear it to 145ish.
SmoknCamo
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun May 17 09 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW, i am drooling! That looks fantastic. I know what I will be trying next weekend. Thanks for the recipe!
Brinkmann Gourmet Charcoal X2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Beef Recipes All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: