FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fresh Wood Prep????

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Wood and Charcoal
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bozzscaggz

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06 11 7:20 am    Post subject: Fresh Wood Prep???? Reply with quote

Hey Guys,

I'm new to the forum. Great site. Anyhow my question is this. I had a cherry tree fall down in a storm. Since I began smoking food, I figure why chop it down and dump it when I can use it. So now I have a ton of this wood and want to use it. I have only one thing down and that is the seasoning process. I hear to let the wood sit outdoors for a whole year to dry up so I don't get Creosote burn from it being wet. So OK I have patience. Their are some things I would like to know:

1. Is the Seasoning process i said the correct amount of time?

2. Should I remove the bark or no?

3. Should I chunk the wood up first or let it dry for the year and leave it in log form?

4. Is there anything else I should do with this wood for prep? Thanks for the help.......
bozzscaggz

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06 11 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok well I read seasoning time in post in another forum!
Seminole

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06 11 4:38 pm    Post subject: seasoning wood Reply with quote

I don't think you need to wait the whole year. When it is dry, use it. When it is not completely dry you will hear a hissing sound-water droplets boiling. You will get the steam as well. Many people believe that soaked in water wood creates more smoke. Not true, it creates steam which looks like smoke.
Cutting log into smaller pieces will help to dry out wood faster.
Bark from many tree contains bitter substances, so a general rule is to remove it. Aspirin was made from a willow tree, quinine (used in tonic water) was made from quinine tree. Don't go into extremes, if it is hard to remove bark, leave it on. Cherry wood is one of the best woods available.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Wood and Charcoal All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: