FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Brisket Flat

View previous topic :: View next topic  
me6164

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02 11 4:10 am    Post subject: Brisket Flat Reply with quote

I've got a brisket flat I've had for awhile so I'm going to smoke saturday for the opening weekend of college football. The Brisket flat is around 3 lbs I believe. Right now it's soaking in some Dr. Pepper. Im also doing a rack of BB's. I plan on doing around a 2-1-1 method with the BB's around 250*. How long do you think it will take the brisket to cook? This is my first attempt at brisket. So Im clueless on times. I plan on letting it cook to around 165* then foiling to around 195*. Should I throw the Brisket in about an hour or two before the BB's go on. Because from what I understand it's no big deal to wrap up the brisket and throw in a cooler for an hour or two to rest like I do with my Boston Butts.
Jarhead
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02 11 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3# flat cooked at 250 should take a total of 4 to 4-1/2 hours. I don't foil, so this is a guesstimate.
When you foil it, add about 1/4 C beef broth and a couple Tbsp of your rub.
Save all that goodness for mixing back in when you slice it across the grain.
I don't cook BBs, but that sounds about right.
Take pics, or it didn't happen. Wink

Jarhead's World Blog
KCBS CBJ & HMFIC Debbie's Q Shack
me6164

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02 11 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This being my first brisket I really want to foil to make sure it's not to dry. Especially since It's just the flat and doesn't have alot of fat on it. I'll def take your advice on the broth rub deal as well. I usually foil my ribs with some apple juice, honey, and brown sugar. So I guess I should add some liquid to the brisket foil process as well.

I also have another question. We dont really have any butchers to choose from around here. So unfortunately Im stuck with goign to local grocery stores for meat. Which I hate because of the enhanced solution that the pork comes in Mad .. Looking at the price tag on the brisket flat that my wife picked up a couple weeks ago. It was around $14.50. Somewhere in the neighborhood of like $5 a lb. Well we were at walmart earlier and she was doing some shopping for herself. So I made my way over to the meat section to look around. They had an entire brisket(flat and point) for only $19. I believe it was around $2.79lb. Im new to the smoking community and have alot to learn. Is the qualty brisket at krogers just that much better or what?
Texas 1836
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19 11 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I generally buy all of my briskets from Kroger. Remember, it is a tough piece of meat to begin with, and that is part of the brisket mystique.

Cook it to an internal temp of 165, then wrap it in foil. Take it to about 195, and then do the toothpick test. If the toothpick doesn't slide into the meat like sliding through hot butter, keep going. That's how you know when it's done. And I toothpick in the point.

Enjoy your cook! It will be awesome.

Backyard Party Gator
Q2Do

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25 11 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my area, butcher shops are scarce. Walmart and Sam's Club are the most likely places to get a packer brisket. Use the fold test to check for initial tenderness. I have used it with excellent success and am satisfied with it. It's simple, the easier the brisket folds in half, the more tender it is. Prices run about $2.48/lb at Walmart. Sam's Club is up and down. Hope this helps and good luck.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Beef Recipes All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: