FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone else like to smoke lamb on their pit?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigOrson
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02 06 10:45 am    Post subject: Anyone else like to smoke lamb on their pit? Reply with quote

I love lamb and I've found that studding a whole leg of lamb with whole cloves of garlic on the pit yields not only a great piece of meat, but also a bounty of smoked, roasted garlic suitable for a number of other applications in the kitchen.

It is incredible in a batch of mashed potatoes.
Jeff T
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02 06 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never tried lamb but have read up a little about it in one of Paul Kirks books.
Tell me more, got any pic`s ?
bigabyte
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02 06 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never done a whole leg, but I like doing lamb shanks. I rub them with oil, salt, lemon pepper and a good amount of garlic, and smoke at high temps around 300-325. They are good! Razz Razz Razz
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02 06 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like to do lamb shoulder, with either garlic or rosemary every inch and a half to two inches.

I also do lamb with a salt crust.

1/2-cup course sea salt
1/4-cup turbinado sugar
1/4 teaspoon dried basil leaves
1/2 teaspoon dried mint
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
1/4-teaspoon ground sage
1/4-teaspoon ground cumin
1/4-teaspoon mild curry powder
6 dried rosemary leaves

Put the basil, mint, oregano and rosemary into your spice grinder, grind to the same size as the other ground ingredients.
Put the sea salt, sugar, sage, cumin, curry powder, and the 4 herbs from the spice grinder into a bowl, mix completely with your fingers.
Cover the lamb with some EVO oil, and then with clean dry hands, pack the salt preparation over the lamb in a thick crust.
Put the lamb on a cooling rack, in a pan and put it onto a grill at 275 - 300, cook a full shoulder of lamb for 2 - 2 1/2 hours for medium rare (145), 2 1/2 - 3 hours for medium (160), 3 - 3 1/2 hours for well done (170).

Make a simple reduction with some of the juices from the pan as the lamb rests, add 1/2 can of orange concentrate, the juices from a lemon and a lime, with a sharp knife, carve the lamb shoulder, try and leave the crust on the outside of the slices.

Some folks will like the way the crust and the outside of the lamb has cooked more than others, for those that don't like the idea of a salt crust, carve them meat from the inside.

I like my lamb to be 160 when it comes off the grill, as I like a little pink to my lamb, most of the rest of the family likes it taken to 170, I tend to take it off, and rest it for 15 - 20 minutes as I make the sauce, the I slice off "my" lamb, (pour a little sauce over mine on a plate, then put a bowl upside down over the top to keep the heat in), and put the rest back on the cooling rack in the pan for an other 30 minutes cooking time.

Keep the reduction on a low heat, if it thickens too much, add just enough water to get it thin again, be careful not to thin it out more than needed.

I still work here!
Big Mark
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02 06 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WoooDoggy wrote:
I've never done a whole leg, but I like doing lamb shanks. I rub them with oil, salt, lemon pepper and a good amount of garlic, and smoke at high temps around 300-325. They are good! Razz Razz Razz

Sounds very nice, what internal temp do you take them to?
krimson_cardnal

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02 06 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

soezzy - I like the sound of that!

I do lamb on my weber kettle indirect heat, throttled down to keep it slow. Gonna try your salt rub soon, might even try one in the oven! I'm a bit weary of putting one in the SnP. For lamb I like a bit more heat than what my smoker likes to run at. K_C
bigabyte
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02 06 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Mark wrote:
WoooDoggy wrote:

Sounds very nice, what internal temp do you take them to?

Oops, left that part out! Embarassed I cook them to 170. This is the best I have been able to make them so far. The first several attempts were failures, but the reason was the cooking temp. Once I cranked up the cooker temp, they got a whole lot better. They don't need much seasoning, the shanks I get are about the size of a small to medium turkey leg. It's the garlic that really seems to do the trick, and the lemon pepper gives it something that brings out the flavor. Might be able to marinade it in a lemon juice and oil bath and get good results, but haven't tried that.
Cactus1

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19 07 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't get to do it often - I'm the only one in the family that will eat it - I'm the only one in the family that will eat a lot of things.
I'll have the butcher cut it off of the bone and tie it around the bone for cooking. Stud it with garlic - a little sea salt - a little fresh cracked pepper - juice of a couple lemons. Let it go to about 165 - pull it - tent with foil - let it rest for about 1/2 hour. Some fresh pita ... some hummos ... some tabuolli (?) I'm eating good!
auto

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19 07 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

we are lamb lovers, I can't wait to try these paired with a nice merlot or syrah
Gourmet-Gator
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19 07 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like lamb, we went to a greek festival once and I got a lamb sandwich because it was huge with a ton of meat on it, one bite and I had to choke that down...I threw the rest away when noone was watching... Confused
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: