FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bounty of the sea

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Seafood Recipes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wildfire00

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17 11 10:39 pm    Post subject: Bounty of the sea Reply with quote

So this is a 15 minute meal that you will totally fall in love with if you’re a seafood lover such as myself. Growing up on the west coast most of my life gave me a great opportunity to fall in love with and try many different types of food that the beautiful bodies of water have to offer. I remember as a kid standing on the banks of the Fraser River fishing with my father and his friends and at other times throwing crab nets off the pier in White rock. While fishing in White Rock you could easily reach over the side of the pier grab a hand full of mussels or star fish or even see the jelly fish swim by, those were some great times in my life and now you can see why I love the bounty of the sea.

Well back to the task at hand. I purchased some scallops the other day and I always have Shrimp on hand in the freezer. This dish is comprised of Shrimp, Scallops, Rice noodles and egg. A lot of people are scared to attempt cooking scallops. They can be a pretty tough little guy to cook, however they really aren’t. Maybe it’s because Gordon Ramsey has scared the hell out of everybody by shooting down every plate of scallops that is brought to the pass on Hell’s Kitchen, but do your best to forget about it.

So to cook scallops here’s the low down, you basically want to have an amazing sear and great caramalization on both sides but not cooked entirely all the way through. You want the center to be a little opaque and moist. It is very easy to dry out a scallop but by following this method you should be able to cook this little gem very easily. So, turn up the heat on your stove top, I set mine to 8 on and electric so probably medium high on gas. You could use a cast iron pan which would make for more even cooking but, just so you know this was done in a non stick pan and still came out great. Once your pan is hot and the olive oil you poured in is ready, you are now ready to go. One trick I use to see if the pan is hot enough is to splash one or two little drops of water in the pan, if they bounce around and disappear within a second or so, then your on point. First off place your scallops on some paper towel, this is to take off as much moisture as possible before frying. Add a bit of salt and pepper to one side and then one by one you want to start placing your scallops in the pan. Salted side down. Now salt the other side once you have dropped them in. Do not over crowd the pan, otherwise you will end up steaming instead of searing. I cooked mine for approximately 3 minutes per side and they seemd to come out excellent. In the pics you can see some pretty decent color on those guys, this is pretty much what you are looking for.

For the shrimp, well they are pretty much in the same tank. They can easily be over cooked. Me, I cheat. I buy big bags of pre cooked shrimp at Costco. I used to buy fresh but buy the time I peel and devain about 20 of them it really starts to slow you down. There is nothing wrong with buying pre cooked shrimp, especially since I am cooking for my home not a business. I get my pan nice and hot; add equal parts butter and olive oil. Here’s a tip, when you add oil to butter when frying something the butter doesn’t burn. Burnt butter can give a weird after taste and that’s not what we want with these tasty little offerings. Pans hot, oils hot, butters melted, now throw in some minced garlic or garlic powder if that’s what you have and pretty much at the same time you want to through in the shrimp. Now remember, you are not cooking the shrimp since they are already cooked all your doing is re heating them. If you are using minced garlic just make sure you don’t burn it. Literally cook the garlic for about 30 seconds before throwing in the shrimp. Again do not over crowd the pan. We want fried not steamed.

Rice noodles, now this has to be the easiest thing in the world. Well next to making toast. You will need a mixing bowl and boiling water.
Remove the noodles from the pack without breaking them as much as possible. Place the noodles in the bowl and pour the boiling water to the point that all the noodles are fully covered. Let the noodles sit for a minute and then gently start separating them by stirring and lifting with a fork. They will only take a couple of minutes to cook fully. I wanted to fry them after boiling so if you want to do this make sure you remove the noodles from the water a bit sooner so that they don’t turn to mush. I would recommend keeping them in the water for a minute and a half. Now, remove the noodles and pour them in a strainer and add some olive oil to the noodles, this will make it so they don’t just turn into one big dry glob of noodles. After adding the oil you will want to mix the noodles so they all have some oil all over them. I then fried a couple eggs in a pan and for the last minute or two I added the noodles to the pan so they could mix with the egg. I poured in some soy sauce for flavor and viola done.

To plate, well for this a bowl is the best, lay down a nice layer of noodles, add a bit more soy sauce or whatever type of flavor you want, scallops on one side and shrimp on the other. I topped it off with some parsley and this dish was good to go. As I said in the beginning, this meal was created in about 15 minutes from start to finish. Not a bad little family meal after a long day.

Take care and keep the fire hot.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Seafood Recipes All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: