FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 


I had to have a UDS
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
purplewg
BBQ Super Pro


Joined: 27 Jun 2008
Posts: 1300
Location: Florida

PostPosted: Aug 19 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

dtel wrote:
SWP5767 wrote:
What is the pipe and valve setup for?


I would guess to let air into the bottom of the drum to keep the fire going, like the air intake damper on any other cooker.


dtel is correct. Some of us raise them up off the bottom so we don't have to bend down to adjust them. We are basically lazy I guess.
_________________
The Wild Pig build.
My UDS Build.

Don't squat with your spurs on.........
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
icecoldkicks
BBQ Pro


Joined: 11 Aug 2008
Posts: 585
Location: SoDo District Georgetown, Seattle

PostPosted: Aug 28 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool now thats a nice UDS Purplewg!! i have 2 fuel racing drums in the back of my truck & look forward to making twin UDSs as soon as my back is finished healing! Wink
Great Job on yours Cool
_________________
287Gal RF Project

Slow & Low, That is the Tempo!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Javelin400



Joined: 15 Oct 2010
Posts: 22
Location: Newnan, GA

PostPosted: Aug 28 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice score on CL. I keep looking but cant find any good deals. Looks good!!
_________________
Char-broil offset, 2-UDS, 22 inch Weber, Weber Little Joe, Charmglow gasser
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SWP5767
BBQ Fan


Joined: 18 Aug 2011
Posts: 372
Location: Royal Palm Beach, FL

PostPosted: Aug 28 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

purplewg wrote:
dtel wrote:
SWP5767 wrote:
What is the pipe and valve setup for?


I would guess to let air into the bottom of the drum to keep the fire going, like the air intake damper on any other cooker.


dtel is correct. Some of us raise them up off the bottom so we don't have to bend down to adjust them. We are basically lazy I guess.


How many do you need? They look like a small opening.
_________________
**Steve**
Brinkman upright
Trashcan smoker
Char-Broil Gasser (yea I know)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Flyin Pig Cookers
Newbie


Joined: 17 Jul 2011
Posts: 83
Location: Austin County Texas

PostPosted: Aug 28 2011    Post subject: SMOKE ! SMOKE ! Reply with quote

Old Smoker wrote:
Thats a pretty cool drum ya got there.



^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
What he said !

Tuck said that !


Mr. Green
_________________
Porkaholic : No Need to Rehabilitate !
"Incoming gunfire has the right of way"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
purplewg
BBQ Super Pro


Joined: 27 Jun 2008
Posts: 1300
Location: Florida

PostPosted: Aug 29 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks icecoldkicks. I look forward to seeing your build.

Javelin400, thank you, be patient and just keep looking. I was about to use the flat removable top till I found one but mine popped up just shortly before I needed it. I still look a couple times a week just in case I want to do another one.

SWP5767, I have 4 one inch inlets spaced evenly around the bottom. Only one has a valve. The other three have a removable cap. Yesterday due to where I had it and the swirling winds, I had to keep adjusting by removing and installing the caps to maintain the temp I wanted.

Thanks Flying Pig, I'm thinking with that handle you should have flying pigs on your smoker/smokers. lol
_________________
The Wild Pig build.
My UDS Build.

Don't squat with your spurs on.........
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Flyin Pig Cookers
Newbie


Joined: 17 Jul 2011
Posts: 83
Location: Austin County Texas

PostPosted: Sep 08 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

purplewg wrote:
Thanks icecoldkicks. I look forward to seeing your build.

Javelin400, thank you, be patient and just keep looking. I was about to use the flat removable top till I found one but mine popped up just shortly before I needed it. I still look a couple times a week just in case I want to do another one.

SWP5767, I have 4 one inch inlets spaced evenly around the bottom. Only one has a valve. The other three have a removable cap. Yesterday due to where I had it and the swirling winds, I had to keep adjusting by removing and installing the caps to maintain the temp I wanted.

Thanks Flying Pig, I'm thinking with that handle you should have flying pigs on your smoker/smokers. lol


Purple I cook comps on two UDSs one 55gal & one 30 gal. Plus the BBQ Gurus=3 , If I knew any on who was good enough with a cutter ( that was not in the middle of a few builds ) I would like to have at least one to use on my 55 as it has a 3" dia. truck stack on it . It looks cool to me .
But it has been so !@#$$% HOT down here I have not done any comps since April . Over 130 days of temp over 100 . Fat boys stay inside .

Tuck said that !
_________________
Porkaholic : No Need to Rehabilitate !
"Incoming gunfire has the right of way"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
purplewg
BBQ Super Pro


Joined: 27 Jun 2008
Posts: 1300
Location: Florida

PostPosted: Sep 08 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flyin Pig Cookers wrote:


Purple I cook comps on two UDSs one 55gal & one 30 gal. Plus the BBQ Gurus=3 , If I knew any on who was good enough with a cutter ( that was not in the middle of a few builds ) I would like to have at least one to use on my 55 as it has a 3" dia. truck stack on it . It looks cool to me .
But it has been so !@#$$% HOT down here I have not done any comps since April . Over 130 days of temp over 100 . Fat boys stay inside .

Tuck said that !


Draw it out on whatever you want it cut out of. Sandwich between a couple pieces of cardboard, send it to me, I will cut it out and send it back to you for you to paint up. I just used some 18GA stainless scrap I had. Don't need no plate steel. lol I have some thin aluminum I could cut it out of for you. Send me a pattern.
_________________
The Wild Pig build.
My UDS Build.

Don't squat with your spurs on.........
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group