FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KCBS Judging

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Competition BBQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BARBEE-Q

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02 11 9:01 pm    Post subject: KCBS Judging Reply with quote

Just wondering how it is elsewhere?
I have sent in my judging app for the only 5 KCBS that my schedule and time will allow for, some are up to 3 months in advance. 4 of the 5 have responded that their judging list are full and I would be put on a reserve list, I did get a seat on 1.

Is this the way it is elsewhere? Is it a case of just to many Certified KCBS judges on the market right now? I'm 49 and not retired, so I can't sign-up 6 or 8 months ahead of time but still want to do some judging.
romex2121
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02 11 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

do you want to do some judging or just some good eating ?? Laughing Laughing sorry i could'nt help myself,, i hope you get in
slow&low
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02 11 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

where did you get in?
Jarhead
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02 11 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't get invited this year, ask to be put on the list for next year.
They usually come out and ask for a confirmation about 2-3 months before the contest.
You can always turn them down, if you can't make it.
They really don't know how many judges that they will need, unless they are booked solid for teams.
Be a Table Captain, no credit, but you get experience as to what to look for as a judge.

Jarhead's World Blog
KCBS CBJ & HMFIC Debbie's Q Shack
BARBEE-Q

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03 11 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

romex2121 wrote:
do you want to do some judging or just some good eating ?? Laughing Laughing sorry i could'nt help myself,, i hope you get in
[list=]

I guess somewhere that would be funny.

I would not drive 2,3 or even 4 hrs just to eat what I can make in my backyard. And yes, I know the difference between judging and eating. [/list]
BARBEE-Q

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03 11 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jarhead wrote:
If you don't get invited this year, ask to be put on the list for next year.
They usually come out and ask for a confirmation about 2-3 months before the contest.
You can always turn them down, if you can't make it.
They really don't know how many judges that they will need, unless they are booked solid for teams.
Be a Table Captain, no credit, but you get experience as to what to look for as a judge.

Thanks Jarhead,
I never like to give my name or word on something that I don't know for sure I can do. But I guess that's just the way the system is. I'll signup for as many as I can and if I'm busy just dropout later.
bud-wie-ser
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03 11 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Around here, it seems they are always looking for judges right up to the last minute.

Guess it just depends on where you live.
Custom Drum Smoker
UDS
KCBS Certified BBQ Judge
Roving Texan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03 11 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing you can do (if they comps aren't too far away or you are planning on going anyway) is to stop by the judging tent around 930 the morning of the judging and let them know that you are a CBJ and you are available if they need you. There are almost always people who sign up to judge an event but don't show up.

<On> In my opinion it is extremely rude and disrespectful for people to sign up and then not at least tell the event they can't make it. I understand that things can come up at the last minute that could prevent you from being there, but they should at the very least give them a phone call or shoot them an email. Apparently there are judges who sign up for several events on the same weekend so if they can't get "their #1 pick" they have fall back plans. Since most events don't have a judging list set until a couple of weeks before an event, it can literally come down to a day or two before that you get a call to judge. <Off>

This leaves the organizers scrambling for judges at the last minute and could get you a spot a table. For example, I applied to judge at Edenton earlier this year and was told they were full so I didn't make the 3 hour drive. After talking to another judge at a later event they were actually about 6 CBJs short because several no showed. If I had gone, I could have judged after all. You live and you learn.
BARBEE-Q

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11 11 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roving Texan wrote:
One thing you can do (if they comps aren't too far away or you are planning on going anyway) is to stop by the judging tent around 930 the morning of the judging and let them know that you are a CBJ and you are available if they need you. There are almost always people who sign up to judge an event but don't show up.

<On> In my opinion it is extremely rude and disrespectful for people to sign up and then not at least tell the event they can't make it. I understand that things can come up at the last minute that could prevent you from being there, but they should at the very least give them a phone call or shoot them an email. Apparently there are judges who sign up for several events on the same weekend so if they can't get "their #1 pick" they have fall back plans. Since most events don't have a judging list set until a couple of weeks before an event, it can literally come down to a day or two before that you get a call to judge. <Off>

This leaves the organizers scrambling for judges at the last minute and could get you a spot a table. For example, I applied to judge at Edenton earlier this year and was told they were full so I didn't make the 3 hour drive. After talking to another judge at a later event they were actually about 6 CBJs short because several no showed. If I had gone, I could have judged after all. You live and you learn.

Yea I think its rude as well thats why I don't like it.
I did get in a comp this coming weekend that is 4hrs from my house, and my schedule worked out so I can go.
The reason the organizer gave for needing last minute judges was that they had some judges dropout.

Ol well I really love being involved with BBQ so I hope I can pick-up a few before winter. I cook as well and love that too but I have not signed up to cook any comp's this fall because of the cost, money is a little tighter at my house than it has been, and the gas money to judge is a lot less than the $$$ it takes to cook a comp.
EastTennQcrew
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12 11 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many comps in our area fill up nearly 10 months out.

RandyE
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Competition BBQ All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: