FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My awful experience with Real Montana Charcoal.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Wood and Charcoal
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Johnpv

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02 11 10:42 am    Post subject: My awful experience with Real Montana Charcoal. Reply with quote

I thought I would share my experiences here, so that maybe others don't get ripped off.

I'm sure many of you are familiar with The Naked Whiz's review of Real Montana Charcoal. I thought about it for a few days and decided to bite the bullet and order some. The company's website is not the most well laid out. The only way to order is to paypal them money, and in the comments tell them how much of what kind of charcoal and where to send it to. Normally I wouldn't do this but the Naked Whiz seemed to be behind the guy so I again I said screw it.

Now I've ordered a lot of things online, and usually with in a day or two (if not right away) you get an email with a confirmation of your order and when it should ship. I placed my order on May 16th, come the 20th with having heard nothing I was getting a bit worried. So I sent an email using the contact us from the website. I just let them know that I had placed an order using their paypal address, and was wondering what the status of it was. That I just wanted to make sure that the payment was received and being taken care of.

I didn't get a reply until June 6th, which only stated "Did I get back to you on this already?" I wrote him back informing him that no he had not, and that I was starting to get worried. I got a reply the next day telling me that "I changed that on my site now it was old from a couple years ago and had more time to monitor things, I will get this checked out and get back with you shortly, sorry again"

I wrote him back and thanked him, and said I was looking forward to finally getting to try their awesome charcoal. I also went to their website and NOT A SINGLE THING was changed. So I kind felt hmmm about it. Things seemed to be going better.

Come June 23rd I still had not heard back from Randy on this matter. So I sent another email, just asking for an update on what was going on, or a reason why my order still hadn't been sent out. At this point it's been over a month since I first gave them my money.

When July 16th rolled around, and it had been 2 months since the day I placed my order, I decided email wasn't going to do it. So I started calling the number on the website, and not surprisingly it went to voice mail. I left a message telling him who I was, that I'd been waiting 2 months, and could I please be updated on the situation.

Since then I've called 1 or twice a week, never have I spoken to anyone, never have I gotten a call back. A few times instead of ringing it rang once and then went right to voice mail. I know what that means, it means some one chose to ignore the call.

I'm annoyed, pissed off and just plan furious. Its just over 2 weeks till it'll be 3 months since he took my money. I still have nothing to show for it, and all I wanted was some good charcoal.

I thought I would share my story, so that no one else got ripped off from this thief.
Johnds

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02 11 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you paid by credit card through paypal, you should be able to protest the charge within a given time period. If you paid by bank transfer, paypal may have some way to refund you, do your research.

What I'm thinking is, you should have used up a bag or three of lump in 6 weeks, or is it 10, by now, and have purchased others.

What is important is that you should find a good source of lump charcoal and put it to good use. I got Cowboy from Home Depot and liked it fairly well. My first bag of Frontier from Lowes was great, but the 2nd was mostly chips and dust. There's a mexican grocery store around the corner from me that sells mesquite lump that is a no-name brand that is probably better than most. Lazzari's mesquite is a fine product too.

What's important is that you burn lump and make great barbeque. Mail order is often aggravating, and almost makes paying state taxes worthwhile.

John
Johnpv

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18 11 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the late reply to this but I've been insanely busy and away from the computer a lot.

Unfortunately Randy lead me on long enough that I now can't get my money back through Paypal. So I'm totally screwed in that regard. Yes I've obviously bought other lump charcoal since then, and used quite a few brands. To me that's not what is important, what's important is that this crook took my money and I got nothing out of it. It's important that other people know not to give these thieves any money.

If anyone knows Randy, or interacts with him, please ask him to get back to me. I've sent him plenty of emails and left him plenty of voice mail he should know my email and phone number.

I just want my money back or my charcoal I paid for.
Johnds

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26 11 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you paid by credit card through paypal, or bank account through paypal, you need to contact either to see if you can contest the charge.

You should not only be upset with the vendor, but also paypal, and your bank or credit card company.

Next time pay by a credit card that allows you to contest the charge.

Small price to pay for the experience.

John
RealMontanaCharcoal

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14 16 10:59 am    Post subject: Rebuttal Reply with quote

To All Concerned.
We have seen this before and have decided it has been way to long not to have posted a rebuttal on it.
This particular year was not a good one. Over the previous winter Real Montana Charcoal suffered an illegal eviction with and illegal law suite started by landlord (we won the initial case as well as the appeal) from leased property where the kilns are set up. At this time we had approximately 20,000 pounds of charcoal to make under contract. so about 2 month of looking we found another location and set up. It was about another month before we were up and rolling again. WE tried to take on as much work as possible to keep things rolling as all funds for making the order had been used up through setting up to take it on, tearing down to move and setting back up along with trying to fulfill the order. At this time Randy was not only doing all the work himself but was also cutting all the (green)wood in orchards. It was often not always possible to keep up with orders and sometimes things were a bit overwhelming. Suring the process of all this the contracts were lost due to lack of being able to deliver the product in a reasonable amount of time. All understandable. So all the money for the deposit and work preformed was forfeited. Come August 18 while cutting wood in an orchard a sharp 6 inch limb came out of a tree and struck Randy In the Chest giving him internal bleeding around his liver and Spleen, it subsequently knocked him down, stabbed him in the groin breaking his pelvis and putting a small tear in his Illiac Artery. Having almost bled to death he was lifeflighted to St. Patricks Hospital in Missoula MT for emergency surgery. It them took him an additional 2 month before being able to walk. After all this guarantee this gentleman who published this post was either refunded his money in full or one of the folks who waited and received his order when Randy was able to return to work. Things are much better now and we are still striving to produce an exceptional Charcoal and will continue for the rest of the lives of those reading this article or Randy's whichever come first. Thank you for your time and if you wish to have a chance to try a truly exceptional charcoal try our premium products of Apple and Cherry available through direct sale with Real Montana Charcoal And Smoking Woods Inc.
brutus1964
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15 16 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is quiet a run of bad luck that Randy had; however there is absolutely no excuse to not return an email or answer the phone and give an explanation. I think I'll pass on the mail order charcoal.

"If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you have always got"- Henry Ford
RealMontanaCharcoal

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15 16 10:54 am    Post subject: I normally would agree Reply with quote

Yes Sir,
Customer service is terrible for most companies, I under most circumstance we put most to shame with charcoal and customer service. Out of Thousands of customers to have a couple unhappy is pretty good odds. It has been a long time and I can not even say how true all this is one way or the other, but every person and company do make mistakes. Plus since we are soon going to be eliminating distributors it will be the only way it will be possible to try our products. If You Are Tired Of The Rest Try The Best TM You will be glad you did even if your pocket book is not, however it is a lot cheaper through us direct.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Wood and Charcoal All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: