FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pigs Worst Nightmare Apple Rub
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Rubs, Marinades, Brines, Mops & Sauces
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Portergolf
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29 08 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattycamp wrote:
Just an FYI--I used a mandoline on its thinnest setting to slice my apples. 10 minutes at 275 (topped with some brown sugar), then let them rest on the counter for 20 minutes and they were ready to be ground. It's a nice option if you have the tool.

Matty,
Those look pretty good! The hardest part is getting the dry enough so they aren't soft, yours look like they would have dried nice.

Last edited by Portergolf on Sun May 04 08 4:46 am; edited 1 time in total
elitejp

PostPosted: Thu May 01 08 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Havent tried it yet but couldnt you just use a cheese grater and grate the apples? Just me thinking out loud!
Carpetride

PostPosted: Tue May 27 08 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made a half batch of this today and it taste very good, can't wait to try it on some ribs. Thanks for posting!!!

FYI I just used a large holed cheese grater and held it over a cookie sheet coated with PAM and stuck in the oven at 200 for about 3 hours. They were still a little chewy when hot but once it cooled off they were crunchy and into the food processor they went.
Bryce Crane
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18 08 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh the web wide world...

LINK

http://www.lepicerie.com/catalog/product_706000_Dehydrated_Apple_Powder.html
Klose Offset
2 labradors
barry
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19 08 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another site..

http://www.naturesflavors.com/product_info.php/products_id/4327

barry
Sting Ray

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19 08 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds good smoked with apple wood and basted with an apple juice sauce before the foil. Maybe even sprayed with apple juice during.... I will definately have to try this one out. THANKS!!!!
babaoriley7

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04 08 3:11 am    Post subject: Re: Pigs Worst Nightmare Apple Rub Reply with quote

Portergolf wrote:
Here is an apple rub that is good on ribs and chicken.

Pigs Worst Nightmare AppleRub

6 Tbsp Ground Dried apple
3 Tbsp Brown Sugar
3 Tbsp Turbinado Sugar
3 Tbsp Coarse Salt
1 Tsp Sweet Paprika
1 Tsp Garlic Powder
Tsp Ground Black Pepper

Dried apple is not available in a lot of places so you can make your own by doing this.

Take 3 apples, slices them VERY thin. Spray or butter a cooking sheet. Place the thin apple slices on the tray and salt the apples slices, add brown sugar to the apple slices. To dry them ourt put them in the oven at 150 degrees for 2-3 hours. They will not become completely dried out and crunchy in the oven, after it appears they are drying you can take them out and let them rest. I usually let them sit over night and they are very crunchy in the morning ready to grind up.

For a relative noob, about how many racks of baby backs can you make with this amount of rub?
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04 08 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on how much rub you apply but I would think you should get 8 to 10 racks from a batch if not more.
LIAR #100
animal
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01 08 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please define ground, I dried them and put in my food processor and have powder, do I have to change the amount I use.
Black Horse 69-70

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06 09 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My brother, knowing that I am somewhat of a foodie and that I was going to buy a new gas grill, offered to buy me a Traeger. Until then, I never had heard of Traeger. When he took me to a dealer near his home, I was a bit skeptical. It didn't look as fancy as that 4-burner gas grill I had been looking at. But, the more I read about Traeger the more I like the grill. I have been a big indirect heat grill fan for years and have always wanted to get into smoking. Traeger offered me all that.

Anyway, I got the grill about a month a go and have been cooking on it about 75% of the time. Lamb chops, chicken, burgers, steak, country style steak, and fish have all come out just great. Last week I stumbled onto this site and found the following rub posted by Portergolf.

I was so impressed with the reviews, I bought 2 large baby back racks, made the rub using freeze dried apples obtained from the local health food market and threw the ribs and 2 quartered chickens onto the grill. I tried making the apple chips myself, but ended up with candied apple slices and big mess in the oven that my wife is unhappy about. I was concerned that I might have put too much rub on the ribs (I used the whole batch for the 2 racks). I mention ed this to my wife and she told not to change a thing I did.

My wife is not a big fan of ribs, or at least not until last night. They were fantastic! Because they were so good, it really boosted my confidence I can do this. Thanks to Porter golf for posting the rub recipe.

Oh, I have a leg of lamb on the barbie as I write.
Guv

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19 09 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds really good and I can't wait to give it a try.
Thanks for sharing.
fs3putt

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07 09 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can buy ground apple powder from Nature's Flavors. I have used it to make this rub. It works great. Here is a link:

Weber Performer, 18.5 WSM
tybme

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30 09 12:28 am    Post subject: a thought Reply with quote

I just found this rub recipe and it looks like it would be great - I'm gonna try it soon. I have a thought I wanted feedback on.

What if I dried the apple slices in he smoker? I can set the temp real low and I would think the residual smoke might give the apples a nice flavor.

Any thoughts?
phil922

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03 09 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: a thought Reply with quote

tybme wrote:
I just found this rub recipe and it looks like it would be great - I'm gonna try it soon. I have a thought I wanted feedback on.

What if I dried the apple slices in he smoker? I can set the temp real low and I would think the residual smoke might give the apples a nice flavor.

Any thoughts?

If you haven't already done it don't you will have nothing but a piece of black smokey apple. You will get much better flavor drying them in the oven.
Portergolf
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13 09 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fs3putt wrote:
You can buy ground apple powder from Nature's Flavors. I have used it to make this rub. It works great. Here is a link:

Thanks for the link. that is a great idea. I think I will givethis a try. the time it takes to dry the apples can be a pain sometimes and this might be a great alternative.
tybme

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12 10 11:22 pm    Post subject: pulled pork? Reply with quote

Has anyone tried this rub on pork butts?
Would you use this rub on pulled pork?

I have FINALLY ordered some of the powder to use on ribs and I thought about using it on a butt also.
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13 10 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO it would be very good used on pork butt as it is great with ribs..
LIAR #100
RustNRoll

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19 10 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

in the process of dehydrating the apples right now for this recipe. used granny smith, braeburn, and macintosh apples. did a test run on the grannys and man do they pop with flavor after theyre dehydrated. almost like sweet/sour candies. i pretreated them with a bit of lemon juice and had no issues with discoloration or anything.
Jonesy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11 10 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drying apple slices now. Almost ready. Will be smoking some pork ribs with this rub tomorrow. Will keep you updated, with pics! Looking forward to this, sounds great!
Jonesy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12 10 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I tried this today and the flavor is really good. The problem came when I overcooked the damn ribs. They were really dry, therefore it was to embarrassing to post pictures. Embarassed

Thank you for posting this. Its very good. Will give it another shot next weekend.

Jonesy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Rubs, Marinades, Brines, Mops & Sauces All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: