FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pigs Worst Nightmare Apple Rub
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Rubs, Marinades, Brines, Mops & Sauces
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GOON'S BBQ
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06 07 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boy was this rub great, terrific recipe!

Tipsy Pig BBQ and Brewery
amccoy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17 07 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Portergolf,
Can you give us newbies a few more details. The rub sounds great by itself, but did you spray with apple juice or not?? What about sauce at the end???
MichiganBill

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18 07 11:15 pm    Post subject: What am I doing wrong? Reply with quote

I really want to make this rub recipe however,I must be doing something wrong. First, I slice a few Fuji apples relly thinn. Cooked them for 4 hours at 170F. Let set overnight. They were like little pieces of leather. So I put in Microwave for a minute or so. Now they were like hot pieces of even tougher leather.

So I go to the heath food store and buy some pre packaged "dried apples". Guess what? leather. So I put those in the oven. More hot tough leather! Put those in Microwave and boy do they smoke up the place in no time flat.

What am I doing wrong? I there such a thing as "apple powder"?
GOON'S BBQ
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27 07 1:12 am    Post subject: Re: What am I doing wrong? Reply with quote

MichiganBill wrote:
I really want to make this rub recipe however,I must be doing something wrong. First, I slice a few Fuji apples relly thinn. Cooked them for 4 hours at 170F. Let set overnight. They were like little pieces of leather. So I put in Microwave for a minute or so. Now they were like hot pieces of even tougher leather.

So I go to the heath food store and buy some pre packaged "dried apples". Guess what? leather. So I put those in the oven. More hot tough leather! Put those in Microwave and boy do they smoke up the place in no time flat.

I am not sure what your problem is. When I did it, it came out just fine. What is your definition of thin? I cut sliver thin slices and it came out nice and crispy. Ground it up in my mortar and pestle and was good to go.

GOON'S BBQ
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27 07 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

amccoy wrote:
Hey Portergolf,
Can you give us newbies a few more details. The rub sounds great by itself, but did you spray with apple juice or not?? What about sauce at the end???

Hey Man

I sprayed with 50/50 beer and apple juice. No sauce needed for me! A nice apple based bbq sauce would probably be damn good though!

mutha chicken bbq
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27 07 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if you can used dried apples from a health food store in a blender?

KCBS CBJ
www.galvinell.com
www.realdealbbq.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUcTvhyof8I&feature=related
GOON'S BBQ
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27 07 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mutha chicken bbq wrote:
I wonder if you can used dried apples from a health food store in a blender?

I don't think that dried apples from a store are dried enough. These need to be crispy chips so that you can grind them and add them to the rub ingredients. However it would certainly quicken the drying time!

Portergolf
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17 07 12:09 am    Post subject: Re: What am I doing wrong? Reply with quote

MichiganBill wrote:

Hello guys,
I have been gone for a while and I came back today and I saw a lot of people have tried this rub and liked it.

Couple things to help, the apple slices have to be very very thin in order to dry out, almost "see though" . (If i slice the apple too thick I get the same leathery texture becuase there is still too much poisture in it, if thats the case you have to use thinner slices) I spray the cooking sheet with butter flavored spray and place the apple slices on the tray and I top them with a sprinkle of brown sugar and put them in the oven at 170 degrees (lowest setting) for 3-4 hours than I also let it sit out overnight to finish drying out. (Becareful I have people who eat them as snacks!!! so make more or hide them haha) Some peices will crumble because they are so thin which is fine since you will be grinding them up anyways. I will post pictures of a step-by-step in the following weeks to come. I made a batch this week for a st. pattys day party.

As far as sauce, I do not add any sauce to the ribs when i use this rub. I do spray them with a apple juice with a little maple syrup and brown sugar mixed in.

I generally make batches of 3-4 apples also. I don't have enough oven space to really do more. I think the dehydrater may be the way to go.

Also I haven't seen an apple powder out there yet either.

I will answer some of the other questions later on.
Thanks for trying it out, glad you liked it. Its become a favorite around here. Very Happy
iballdriver

PostPosted: Sat May 05 07 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: Pigs Worst Nightmare Apple Rub Reply with quote

Portergolf wrote:
Here is an apple rub that is good on ribs and chicken.

Pigs Worst Nightmare AppleRub

6 Tbsp Ground Dried apple
3 Tbsp Brown Sugar
3 Tbsp Turbinado Sugar
3 Tbsp Coarse Salt
1 Tsp Sweet Paprika
1 Tsp Garlic Powder
Tsp Ground Black Pepper

Dried apple is not available in a lot of places so you can make your own by doing this.

Take 3 apples, slices them VERY thin. Spray or butter a cooking sheet. Place the thin apple slices on the tray and salt the apples slices, add brown sugar to the apple slices. To dry them ourt put them in the oven at 150 degrees for 2-3 hours. They will not become completely dried out and crunchy in the oven, after it appears they are drying you can take them out and let them rest. I usually let them sit over night and they are very crunchy in the morning ready to grind up.

thanks for posting the rub! couple questions and comments:
i sliced (manually, as thin as possible) the apples, sprinkled with brown sugar (light), forgot the salt, and baked in the oven for 2.5 hours at 170. put them on paper towels and let them set on the countertop overnite. next morning, they were slightly leathery. put them back in the oven for another 2 hours, turned off the oven and found them to be not as leathery. left them in the oven with the oven off for about 2 hours (forgot them, while taking care of the honey-do list) and low an behold, they were dry and crunchy!!
put them in a 1 gallon ziploc and pulverised them using a rolling pin.
where do you store the dried apples? the fridge, the pantry?

* went to the kroger and found the turb. sugar. what kind of brown sugar? the light or the dark? and the sweet paprika. kroger doesn't have it. is this found at a specialty store? does it go by another name?
looking forward to using this rub next week.
thanks for the help, you BBQ Gurus are the best.
bc
Sa-Mokin
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue May 08 07 5:05 am    Post subject: Re: Pigs Worst Nightmare Apple Rub Reply with quote

iballdriver wrote:
Portergolf wrote:
Here is an apple rub that is good on ribs and chicken.

Pigs Worst Nightmare AppleRub

6 Tbsp Ground Dried apple
3 Tbsp Brown Sugar
3 Tbsp Turbinado Sugar
3 Tbsp Coarse Salt
1 Tsp Sweet Paprika
1 Tsp Garlic Powder
Tsp Ground Black Pepper

Dried apple is not available in a lot of places so you can make your own by doing this.

Take 3 apples, slices them VERY thin. Spray or butter a cooking sheet. Place the thin apple slices on the tray and salt the apples slices, add brown sugar to the apple slices. To dry them ourt put them in the oven at 150 degrees for 2-3 hours. They will not become completely dried out and crunchy in the oven, after it appears they are drying you can take them out and let them rest. I usually let them sit over night and they are very crunchy in the morning ready to grind up.

thanks for posting the rub! couple questions and comments:
i sliced (manually, as thin as possible) the apples, sprinkled with brown sugar (light), forgot the salt, and baked in the oven for 2.5 hours at 170. put them on paper towels and let them set on the countertop overnite. next morning, they were slightly leathery. put them back in the oven for another 2 hours, turned off the oven and found them to be not as leathery. left them in the oven with the oven off for about 2 hours (forgot them, while taking care of the honey-do list) and low an behold, they were dry and crunchy!!
put them in a 1 gallon ziploc and pulverised them using a rolling pin.
where do you store the dried apples? the fridge, the pantry?

* went to the kroger and found the turb. sugar. what kind of brown sugar? the light or the dark? and the sweet paprika. kroger doesn't have it. is this found at a specialty store? does it go by another name?
looking forward to using this rub next week.
thanks for the help, you BBQ Gurus are the best.
bc

You probably won't taste a lot of difference in the light and dark brown sugar once it is in the rub. The dark just has more molasses left in that the light does. As far as the paprika, most stores carry Hungarian Paprika, which is a sweet paprika.
Sir Ashine

PostPosted: Sat May 12 07 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm planning on trying this rub this weekend.

What Kind of Apple Do you use?
Does It Matter as in will a certain type of apple have a bad taste dried?
iballdriver

PostPosted: Sun May 13 07 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i used what we had around the kitchen at the time...golden delicious. i did find the sweet paprika at harris teeter, right next to the hot paprika....did a double-take just to make sure i didn't create a suprise Shocked .
doing 3 full pork loin back ribs for mother's day tomorrow and plan on throwing on a small butt for the freezer.
iball
BangBangBBQ
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue May 22 07 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Used a modified version of this recipe last weekend on a butt...made the butt yummy Shocked I used a yellow mustard and cider vinegar slather with brown sugar, and a little waurstishire and some honey.

Made the apple rub with spanish paprika (all i could find) and granny smith apples with brown sugar, minced onion and ginger. I love ginger. Great stuff. Definatly a recipe to hang on too.
hamhock

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31 07 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freeze dried apples are available many places and work well with this rub.
William

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07 07 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am trying this rub this weekend. At the store today I found apple chips under the brand name: Seneca. (1) bag of chips yielded roughly (10) Tbspns of crushed apple.
seeburg220

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08 07 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried this recipe last night. The family loved it. My only criticism is that mine was a little salty. I'm going to reduce the salt by 1/3 next time and see how it is. The apple drying was a little challenging.

I sliced my apples with a $10 mandoline slicer, which worked well.
I then sprinkled them w/ sugar and salt and put them in the oven at 150 for 4 hours. They were still flabby, so I let them stay out over night. The next day, the still weren't crisp, so I stuck them in my dehydrator (which I forgot I had) and dried them for another 6 or 8 hours. The following day, they were finally crispy enough to chop up. I used a manual chopper that has a spring loaded handle and you just mash it about 20 times, and it turns it into a nice pile of apple sprinkles.

I rubbed down the bird with the ingredients and cooked on my rotisserie Weber for about 1+20 minutes.

The taste was good, though I didn't taste as much apple as I thought I would. (I used gala apples).

Mark

Here's that chopper I used. I highly recommend it, as it works great, and it's easy to clean.

http://www.pamperedchef.com/our_products/catalog/product.jsp?productId=240&categoryCode=CE

ps - Portergolf - thank you for sharing this recipe!
istock74
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26 07 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First let me say thanks for your generosity in posting this recipe. I have made ribs a lot and always used commercial ingredients which I found too salty. The different sauces I tried never worked for me either. This weekend we had friends over for UFC and I did 4 rack of St Louis spares. I used your apple rub recipe and Roxy's Rib Glaze. Finally I got exactly what I was looking for in a rib, Sweet and Spicy, Not Salty. Your rub is excellent and thanks for allowing us to use it. For anyone who is having trouble drying your apples, I sliced mine as thin as could with the mandolin, cooked them at 170 for 3 hrs left sit overnight, put back in the oven for an hour at 170 the following morning and they were just right for grinding
doufus1296

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23 07 10:15 am    Post subject: apple chips Reply with quote

Hi all,
I am new to this forum and have just found this thread, in my local stores many of the produce sections have bagged apple chips they are treated with sugar and cinnamon and are as crispy as a potato chip I can't see as the sugar or cinnamon would hurt the recipe any.
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23 07 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried them and they dont grind so well, they kinda turn into a paste which aint so good.

Let us know how they work for you.
LIAR #100
mattycamp
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26 08 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an FYI--I used a mandoline on its thinnest setting to slice my apples. 10 minutes at 275 (topped with some brown sugar), then let them rest on the counter for 20 minutes and they were ready to be ground. It's a nice option if you have the tool.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Rubs, Marinades, Brines, Mops & Sauces All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: