FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Round Three Char-Griller mods - Pics are dead and gone!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JMark

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01 09 4:50 am    Post subject: Re: Round Three of the Char-Griller mods - PICS are back! Reply with quote

BoilermakerFan wrote:
Well guys, I have the casters on order from Caster City. The sales lady said that I needed 1-3/16" expanding rubber posts to fit the inside tube diameter of 32mm.

- BMF

Hey man! Your info. is so super I signed up to the list. I am following your suggestions for wheels. I have a set of HF 90998 casters, but now need to mount them. I spoke with sales at Caster City this morning, but they don't sell the threaded sockets or posts. Where did you find yours?

Keep having fun (and telling us how you did it!)

JMark
BoilermakerFan
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02 09 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Round Three of the Char-Griller mods - PICS are back! Reply with quote

JMark wrote:
BoilermakerFan wrote:
Well guys, I have the casters on order from Caster City. The sales lady said that I needed 1-3/16" expanding rubber posts to fit the inside tube diameter of 32mm.

- BMF

Hey man! Your info. is so super I signed up to the list. I am following your suggestions for wheels. I have a set of HF 90998 casters, but now need to mount them. I spoke with sales at Caster City this morning, but they don't sell the threaded sockets or posts. Where did you find yours?

Keep having fun (and telling us how you did it!)

JMark

Thanks!

I'm a little confused by your question. My casters came with the threaded studs, then I just ordered the expanding rubber posts from Caster City. They may have discontinued the expanding posts in the few years since I bought my CG and did that mod. I might, might (read-very slim chance), still have the Caster City invoice somewhere in my desk or filed away in the basement. The good news is, it's the end of the year, so I go through all the accumulated s--t and sort it, then recycle a lot of it...

The extended burner shelf, while great in concept, sucks. It buckled the end of my cook chamber with a large pot of beans in water. I need to reshape my bottom half of the cook chamber after I pull it off and try to come up with a quick mounting design based on keyholes and posts to hook it on and drop it down. The burner supports will need to be welded together at the legs so they'll be rigid and stronger. The motor mount for the rotisserie needs to be be keyholed and new screws with built in shoulders so it can be quick swapped too.

I need to finish the blower fan/temp controller/ducting, but I've been deeply involved in a new hobby of DIY Audio, amps, and headphones for the past 2-3 years. The headphones audio hobby actually pays for itself and I have more work in it than I have time lately, so I've just been cooking on the CG here and there, but not enough this summer since we had a awful rainy summer.

We're planning to move out of state in the next 2-3 years and once I do, then I can build my outdoor cooking center which will have a stone bread and pizza oven in addition to a much, much bigger, better built grill/smoker/rotisserie. And it will be made from double layer rolled steel so I can insulate it and seal it better so it will hold in heat better and draw in enough fresh air on it's own.
Smokespere

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02 09 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked AWESOME! I have a char-griller too and have been wondering how to spruce it up a bit! Thanks!
JMark

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02 09 11:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Round Three of the Char-Griller mods - PICS are back! Reply with quote

BoilermakerFan wrote:

I'm a little confused by your question. My casters came with the threaded studs, then I just ordered the expanding rubber posts from Caster City. They may have discontinued the expanding posts in the few years since I bought my CG and did that mod. I might, might (read-very slim chance), still have the Caster City invoice somewhere in my desk or filed away in the basement. The good news is, it's the end of the year, so I go through all the accumulated s--t and sort it, then recycle a lot of it...

Apologies for the confusion. I was learning caster terminology, acceptable measurements (standard, not metric,) etc. I just ordered a pair from CC. They're a tad pricey, but the mobility will be great considering I'm walking-impared.

My stereo days are largely over. I had a great Carver system with Magnaplanar speakers that's gathering dust in some corner now.

Thanks again
BoilermakerFan
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09 09 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: Round Three of the Char-Griller mods - PICS are back! Reply with quote

JMark wrote:
BoilermakerFan wrote:

Apologies for the confusion. I was learning caster terminology, acceptable measurements (standard, not metric,) etc. I just ordered a pair from CC. They're a tad pricey, but the mobility will be great considering I'm walking-impared.

My stereo days are largely over. I had a great Carver system with Magnaplanar speakers that's gathering dust in some corner now.

Thanks again

How much for the Maggies and which model?
BoilermakerFan
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09 09 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Round Three of the Char-Griller mods - PICS are back! Reply with quote

JMark wrote:
BoilermakerFan wrote:

Thanks again

I need to look for that invoice now that I'm home...

Also, did you know that the 13" wheels from HF can be purchased with drive sprockets? With bigger pneumatic casters, the smoker can be converted to self powered with two separate stepper motors running each wheel for skid steering. Of course, I'd save that mod for a little nicer smoker in the future...
BoilermakerFan
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09 09 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, the Expanding Rubber stem casters are under the Stem Mount casters on their site, then you pick the wheel style and finally on that page will be the option for the ER (expanding rubber) stems... They're still there, they probably just changed the part numbers in the last 3 years. Laughing
JMark

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09 09 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoilermakerFan wrote:
Also, the Expanding Rubber stem casters are under the Stem Mount casters on their site, then you pick the wheel style and finally on that page will be the option for the ER (expanding rubber) stems... They're still there, they probably just changed the part numbers in the last 3 years. Laughing

Thanks. I eventually figured this out. I have a pair of 4 inchers on the way and a pair of very huge 13 in wheels already on the workbench. Fittings are next.
JMark

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09 09 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Round Three of the Char-Griller mods - PICS are back! Reply with quote

BoilermakerFan wrote:

Also, did you know that the 13" wheels from HF can be purchased with drive sprockets? With bigger pneumatic casters, the smoker can be converted to self powered with two separate stepper motors running each wheel for skid steering. Of course, I'd save that mod for a little nicer smoker in the future...

Dang.. missed that. Imagine, a smoker that delivers right to the table!
BoilermakerFan
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09 09 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JMark wrote:
BoilermakerFan wrote:

Thanks. I eventually figured this out. I have a pair of 4 inchers on the way and a pair of very huge 13 in wheels already on the workbench. Fittings are next.

Good deal. Feel free to send me a PM if you have more detailed questions, or you can just post them here. I need to tweak some of my mods again and get one of my many temperature controllers boxed up and programmed. In cooler weather the CG definitely needs "forced induction" to keep temps up or even a little supplemental gas heat.

Just remember to set the rear 4" casters so the drippings still move away from the firebox. Mine is dead on level with normal air pressure and it tilts towards the FB with higher pressure in the tires. I have two drip cans so never had a problem, but I also do not smoke really fatty foods very often. If you take a little less off the legs than I did, it will tilt the correct way.

On a positive note, I've had just the cheapest phenolic wheel caster in my CG for 3 years now and while there is a little rust, they have held up far, far better than I thought they would. I don't even have a cover on mine anymore because I stretched the length too much and the stock covers do not fit. Not even the Outlaw cover. It may be time to tear it down, have it all sandblasted, etch primered, primered, and high-temp painted...
JMark

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09 09 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the offer. I'm anxious to get everything in front of me so I can see what adjustments and fittings will be needed. I'd like to avoid cutting legs if I can as the CG is assembled and has been in fully operational mode for a couple years now.

re: casters... good news. I live in Florida so dampness spawns hungry rust. I use a blue tarp which is far cheaper to replace than a $20 CG cover, which rots in a year outdoors.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: