FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Round Three Char-Griller mods - Pics are dead and gone!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BoilermakerFan
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27 07 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

allsmokenofire wrote:
That's awesome Brian, I've never seen a sheet metal brake w/ a Vibram sole before! Laughing

Thanks Mike. Best part is, it doesn't use any electricity or gasoline, it's beer powered!
mrcustomsteel
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27 07 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice mods. That's a good bunch of metalwork with no welding. I like the tires. It looks like it's ready to burn rubber pop a wheelie and run the quarter mile.
Bedlam BBQ
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27 07 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoilermakerFan wrote:
Note the huge puddle of oil drip on the gravel under the cook chamber on the SFB side. I was a little surprised how much of the peanut oil ran out, but at least I know my new drain works and the C-G slopes towards the SFB.

You have the grease draining TOWARDS the SFB? Um, won't this cause you a big grease fire flareup if you are doing a lot of fattie foods like pork butt or chicken? Maybe I just can't see the lip in the cook chamber to see how high up the SFB connects.

Looks great Brian!

Stumper clone with Stoker
Bedlam BBQ
Competition Team
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28 07 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had a grease fire in my unit when I did not make sure it was level... Shocked Not fun at all.
LIAR #100
BoilermakerFan
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28 07 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Earlier I posted pics of the new drain hole. It's identical to original drain hole so the soup can hanger will work. It's about 2" from the end by the SFB. I don't think I'll have a fire, but I'll also smoke over my gravel driveway incase I do. If it does become a problem, I'll drill out the hole to accept a 3/4" drain tube and route it down to the shelf and catch it in a pan or coffee can. No biggie, but thanks for the heads up so I'll definitely watch for it (and I'll mount the Stoker on the shelf side, as far from the SFB as possible).

Here is the pic again, looking towards the lower lip of the SFB...

Last edited by BoilermakerFan on Wed Oct 28 09 1:39 am; edited 1 time in total
BoilermakerFan
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27 07 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I brief update...

I ordered the side burner and warming plate direct from Char-Griller. The cast iron grates for the SFB are out of stock and on back-order through July.

Once the burner and warming plate arrive I think that all I will need is a Stoker, but that will be a while since I want to cook on it for a while before I add the Stoker.

I still haven't finished the side charcoal baskets. I just need to find the time to get them over to the welding shop and have them cut out the end caps and weld everything up. Then I can actually call it done!

As soon as it's done, I'll have to sell it to my friend and buy the new smoker that's a little bigger with a vertical cool smoker section for the chili peppers! Laughing Just kidding... for now.

I've been using the C-G for the past few months, but next week will be my first cook with the EZ-Que for a roast beef. I'm really going to try to remember to take pics.
Bedlam BBQ
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27 07 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian, it really looks good buddy. I can't believe how many mods you've put into that. Now you'll be ready to build your next smoker from the ground up Laughing Laughing

Can't wait to see the pics of the EZ-Que in action. Don't forget the pictures!

When are you heading down this direction again?

Bedlam BBQ
Competition Team
BoilermakerFan
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27 07 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SStory wrote:
Brian, it really looks good buddy. I can't believe how many mods you've put into that. Now you'll be ready to build your next smoker from the ground up Laughing Laughing

Can't wait to see the pics of the EZ-Que in action. Don't forget the pictures!

When are you heading down this direction again?

Thanks. I had planned to get the last little bit of work done on it today, but it started teaming rain again, so that plan has been put on hold. But, at least I did get the side burner and warming plate ordered.

I also figured out how to use the cast iron grates and the expanded metal basket charcoal basket in the SFB. The cast iron grates sit on an angle iron that runs parallel to the front and back of the SFB, so instead of the 1/4" rods, I'll have to pull them and use eye screws to mounts the angle iron for the grates. That way I can hang the SFB from the eye bolts with the "S" hooks I'm using. When I need the extra grill space, I'll just pull the basket and put the grates back in. Cool

I might design my own smoker, but I won't be building one. I'll pay someone else to build it for me!

I'm booked through the third week in July now, so it will probably be mid-August before I'm down to Tulsa again. Our big party is August 11, so I think it will be after that since I'll be staying close to home the week before and school starts here on Aug. 9.
alphaking

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27 07 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

awesome job, makes me want to put a little more work into mine. do yourself a favor and wrap the metal tuning plates in foil so youre not scraping them after the first few cooks. also throw a sheet underneath and you save time cleaning the whole thing later. makes it a whole lot easier. great work though.
chris
Blackstone Griddle
Stumps Baby (Sold)
Large BGE x3 (Sold)
Medium BGE (Sold)
Primo Oval XL (Sold)
Lang 84D (Sold)
BoilermakerFan
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27 07 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.

I have the tuning plates seasoned with a heavy coating of oil and "dress" them with peanut oil each time I use them. I'm going to line the bottom with ceramic briquettes except the very bottom center. I'll use 3/8" angle iron to make stops to keep the briquettes out of the center. I plan to cover the briquettes with foil too, so they stay cleaner when I'm smoking larger amounts of meat.

I have two drip cans for the drain holes that aren't in any of the pics.
luvmyc50

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05 07 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've played around doing some mods on my char griller:

-charcoal basket made with expanded steel
-extend vent to improve draft
-gasket along back side of cookbox cover
-add a piece of 1/2 x 1/2 angle to each side of the cook box, just under the lid and put a gasket on each

when i cooked yesterday it was quite windy, maintained temps easily.
BoilermakerFan
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20 08 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I should post an update, but a few of you know my CG is never truly finished, but I have smoked lots of veggies and made several roast beefs...

I ordered the side burner and warming shelf from CG, but the cast iron grates for the SFB were out of stock at the time. I also ordered a round 20" round bottom carbon steel wok for the burner.

Once the side burner arrived I thought about it and decided to see if I could extend it away from grill to allow clearance for the rotisserie motor. Well, a few samples of 1/2" x .083" wall plain steel tubing just happened to show up on my door that are 14" long! I measured the distance I would need and 7" offset would be plenty, so I need to cut down the tubes and deburr the ends this spring when the temps warm up enough not to risk cracking my air compressor heads since I don't have a heated garage.

To use the grates in the SFB I need to modify my charcoal basket mounting system from the rods to SS screw eyes that will be used to mount the grate supports too. So I'll end up with two holes in the end of the SFB that I need to plug, but now I'll have even more flexibility with this smoker/grill/rotisserie/BURNER combo!

Oh, and I figured out a way to make my rotisserie side charcoal baskets weld-free! I need to pick up some more SS hardware, but I'm just glad I don't have to pay to have someone try to TIG weld this little thing together.

After these last mods I think there are only two or three small tweaks left to do, including the brackets to hold the ceramic briquettes in place and a welding insulation blanket for the top. I'll need to make my own custom grill cover because the OEM cover won't work with the extended side burner. I have one other mod I'd like to do, but it's a far greater engineering challenge and my time has to split between a few other projects until this fall. Wink
Bedlam BBQ
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20 08 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian -- you are killing me with all of these mods to that little smoker Laughing Laughing

Sounds like this is a never ending mod project.

Bedlam BBQ
Competition Team
BoilermakerFan
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20 08 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SStory wrote:
Brian -- you are killing me with all of these mods to that little smoker Laughing Laughing

Sounds like this is a never ending mod project.

Yep... Once I have it all "done" then I'll have to buy the new CG Duo for the gas grill side to roast coffee! Actually, the problem would be convincing the wife I need a new or bigger grill. Although the last three family cookouts have had the CG completely full of veggies and I had to grill the meats on the Weber, so if she gets shorted a few veggies the next cook out and I say I didn't have enough room, the seed will be planted. My parts could be moved over to the Duo, but I'd have to stretch it a little more and it's already huge! I don't think a stretched Duo would fit in my garage with all my other crap that's already in there...

I consider my CG my low cost test mule for design tweaks and trials before I work with a builder to fabricate a custom grill/smoker/rotisserie/wok/roaster/outdoor oven! Razz

It won't be in this house though and it will be made from a combo of steel and masonry with lots of thermal mass.
Alien BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21 08 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent job on the mods. Keep up the good work!
TOPS BBQ
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21 08 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian - You are a tweaker my friend. All of your mods probably cost more taht the CG itself. At least the Stoker will be.

I am envious of your abilities. When your finally done (if ever) making the mods, sell it and buy yourself a DP. Wink

www.TOPS-BBQ.com (Competition Team & Caterer)

FAT 50 Ultra
500-Gal tank grill
2-UDS
1-Custom 50-gal offset smoker (horizontal)
1-Bar-B-Chef Smoker
BoilermakerFan
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21 08 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TOPS BBQ wrote:
Brian - You are a tweaker my friend. All of your mods probably cost more than the CG itself. At least the Stoker will be.

I am envious of your abilities. When your finally done (if ever) making the mods, sell it and buy yourself a DP. Wink

Thanks guys.

Define done. No, I don't think I will ever call it done. Every time I use it or spend time looking at it I come up with more ideas. Luckily or unfortunately, I do not have a welder or know how to weld. I've come close to pulling the trigger on a MIG or TIG unit a couple of times, but I've always found other toys to spend my money on (or the damn car breaks down and needs $1300 in repairs).

The EZ-Que alone cost more than the CG and sideburner. Wink
BUT, it will last a life time and I can adjust it for use on another grill in the future. Heck, even all my extra steel, wheels, casters, and SS hardware was probably more than the CG, however, I still have less in the CG than most of the other backyard SFB style smokers on the market, especially factoring in freight.

I haven't ordered the Stoker yet. I haven't really needed it since I'm not smoking any brisket or ribs. My CG maintains a pretty steady temp for 45-60 minutes before dropping 20-30 degrees and that is long enough for me when I'm making roast beef on the EZ-Que or smoking peppers. I've learned how much lump to use to start my sassafras and how much sassafras to add at the 60 minute intervals for my 3-4 hour cook times. Next Thanksgiving we're planning to host, so I will have to have it ordered and setup before then so I can make sure I get the birds done in time and on temp.

I like the DP smokers, but I don't have the room t store a trailer mount and really have no desire to compete. I haven't yet found a Jack of All Trades smoker that's what I want. The Peoria Custom Cooker comes the closest, but I'd have to mod that one too. Hasty-Bake is also close, but I'd still need my CG. Now a SFB mounted down low to a large Hasty-Bake clone, mounted to a Stumps clone, would cover about 95% of my needs!

Hmmm... That has me thinking what if I...
cajunken

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28 08 11:50 am    Post subject: even temp Reply with quote

what is your temp left to right and what is a stoker and how would is help doing long smokes
BoilermakerFan wrote:
TOPS BBQ wrote:
Brian - You are a tweaker my friend. All of your mods probably cost more than the CG itself. At least the Stoker will be.

Thanks guys.

Define done. No, I don't think I will ever call it done. Every time I use it or spend time looking at it I come up with more ideas. Luckily or unfortunately, I do not have a welder or know how to weld. I've come close to pulling the trigger on a MIG or TIG unit a couple of times, but I've always found other toys to spend my money on (or the damn car breaks down and needs $1300 in repairs).

The EZ-Que alone cost more than the CG and sideburner. Wink
BUT, it will last a life time and I can adjust it for use on another grill in the future. Heck, even all my extra steel, wheels, casters, and SS hardware was probably more than the CG, however, I still have less in the CG than most of the other backyard SFB style smokers on the market, especially factoring in freight.

I haven't ordered the Stoker yet. I haven't really needed it since I'm not smoking any brisket or ribs. My CG maintains a pretty steady temp for 45-60 minutes before dropping 20-30 degrees and that is long enough for me when I'm making roast beef on the EZ-Que or smoking peppers. I've learned how much lump to use to start my sassafras and how much sassafras to add at the 60 minute intervals for my 3-4 hour cook times. Next Thanksgiving we're planning to host, so I will have to have it ordered and setup before then so I can make sure I get the birds done in time and on temp.

I like the DP smokers, but I don't have the room t store a trailer mount and really have no desire to compete. I haven't yet found a Jack of All Trades smoker that's what I want. The Peoria Custom Cooker comes the closest, but I'd have to mod that one too. Hasty-Bake is also close, but I'd still need my CG. Now a SFB mounted down low to a large Hasty-Bake clone, mounted to a Stumps clone, would cover about 95% of my needs!

Hmmm... That has me thinking what if I...
Bedlam BBQ
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29 08 4:03 am    Post subject: Re: even temp Reply with quote

cajunken wrote:
what is a stoker and how would is help doing long smokes

A Stoker is an automatic temp controller system that allows you to monitor/maintain the pit temps of multiple pits and many pieces of meat at the same time.

http://rocksbarbque.com/

I use one and love it.

Bedlam BBQ
Competition Team
BoilermakerFan
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29 08 5:24 am    Post subject: Re: even temp Reply with quote

cajunken wrote:
what is your temp left to right and what is a stoker and how would is help doing long smokes

Steve answered the Stoker question, but I still haven't ordered one. I have a few other hobbies taking priority right now. Mainly building my own hi-fi audio equipment and refurbishing a few old stereo consoles.

I'm adding a few more mods/options and changing things up a bit in the SFB to allow the use of the cast iron grates and extend the left hand side burner 7" to allow the rotisserie motor to drop down between the burner and grill since I would never use both at the same time. I have the "warming" shelf for over the SFB if I need to heat up beans when using the EZ Que. Mainly plan to use the side burner for sauteing mushrooms or peppers & onions when grilling out.

I also figured out how to make the side charcoal baskets "No Weld" style and I'll probably have the extra piece of my exhaust stack expanded to match the extension so I can use it on the inside with large 1/4-20 SS thumb screws to hold it in place on the inside. I need to add the right angle iron on the bottom still to hold the ceramic briquettes in place too.

We might be the house hosting Thanksgiving this year, so if we are I do need to get these little lingering mods finished, but it's finally getting cool enough to work in the garage without the risk of dehydration! Laughing

I never did take temp any temp readings. I just use the roasts in the EZ Que to determine where I need my tuning plates so they brown evenly along their length then I just leave it alone from there. I only use Sassafras wood now for both fuel and smoke so I can easily control the burn and the smoke "signal" coming out the stack to the faint blue. Seems to be pretty easy for me.

The only other change I'd like to make is larger pneumatic casters instead of the plastic ones, but that will be a bit bigger challenge than it sounds since I don't want to give up the lower shelf. That will probably wait until I finally decide to break down and make my own "Outlaw" version of the Char-Griller Duo. I'll have to have custom legs and lower shelves fabricated to I can use the Char-Griller larger gas grill and the larger Outlaw smoker with the SFB. The thing will be over 9 feet long though! So I might have to settle for two separate units. We'll see... Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: