FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Round Three of the Char-Griller mods - PICS are back!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BoilermakerFan
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19 06 1:34 am    Post subject: Round Three of the Char-Griller mods - PICS are back! Reply with quote

Well guys, I have the casters on order from Caster City. The sales lady said that I needed 1-3/16" expanding rubber posts to fit the inside tube diameter of 32mm. I went with a 4" wheel on the casters because it was only a dollar more than the 3" wheel. I followed her recommendation to buy the solid Polyolefin wheel with a plain bore (no bearings) since it's for an outdoor application. They were $11.00 each, but probably won't get here until after Thanksgiving because they ship from Nevada. Bummer.

I'll use these cheapy casters and see how I like the setup and see how long the survive our hot, high humidity summers. If they rust out quickly, but I really like the benefit, I'll step up to the plate and buy an all stainless steel caster with an aluminum wheel. I'll have to upgrade the bearings to sealed stainless steel, but Boca Bearings will have that covered.

Right now I have 10" pneumatic tires from Harbor Freight, but I may bump them up to 13" wheels so I won't have to cut as much of the legs off for the 4" casters. Plus, the larger the wheel, the easier it is to roll it through the gravel on the driveway and the grass.

I'll take pics during the assembly process and note all the tools, bits, and pieces used.

Monday I will be ordering an EZ-Que Rotissarie for the CG too. I've been discussing it with John over the past week. The SFB is going to require it to be flipped to the other side and the side shelf will have to removed or lowered. My only other concern is the plastic handle at the end which will now be right over the SFB. We'll see how it holds up. I see a replacement spring handle in it's future... I will take pics of the EZ-Que and post a full review with pics as soon as I get it installed and practice with a few cheap chickens before cooking the goose for New Year's.

Oh, and I have a really good idea for adding an extended smoke pipe to the C-G, but still allowing it to work as a grill and keep the cover. Wink You'll have to wait for that one, I need to finish a few design issues.

- BMF

One highly tweaked Char-Griller Smokin' Pro
http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5172

Last edited by BoilermakerFan on Wed Oct 28 09 1:51 am; edited 9 times in total
dustaway

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20 06 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

first GO Boilers,

send photos
BoilermakerFan
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20 06 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks man.

After starting the assembly process last night, one thing has become clear. I will need at 12" if not 13" wheels to work with the 4" casters because there is only about 2" of leg tubing that can be cut down before the shelf wire will interfere. Heading to HF tomorrow to grab the 13" wheels.

I also need to go out to the garage with the digi cam and take the pics...

Last edited by BoilermakerFan on Thu Nov 23 06 12:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
BoilermakerFan
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20 06 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah man, this is an old school forum... I have to get my pics uploaded and hosted somewhere. I thought I could just attach them to the thread...

Well, I'll work on it. But, I did get my new axle and wheels test fitted. I can now confirm the 10" wheels are way too small for anything other than a 3" caster if you want to keep the bottom wire shelf.

The shelf helps to keep the legs positioned and prevents them from spreading out, so an alternate brace will have to be made if the shelf has to be 86'd. I'll just use 1/4" or 3/8" all thread and sleeve it in tubing for a more finished look if I have to get rid of the shelf.

- BMF

BoilermakerFan
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23 06 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time for an update & Pics!

I ordered the 8" E-Z Que rotissarie from John with the 50lb stainless steel motor. They have the standard 6" listed on the web site, but I plan to roast a goose and small turkeys so I need the bigger cradle. I will post a full review with all the details of the installation once it arrives...

OK, on to the pics and an update.

Here are the critical tools and pieces to upgrade to larger pneumatic tires. The two critical tools being the beer and the Uni-Bit. I wouldn't even try to drill out the axle holes with anything else but an Uni-Bit.

I used a 3/4" OD, 1/2" ID 1" flanged bronze bushing to hold the 1/2" all thread in place.

Here is a 10" wheel with two 5/8" OD x 1/2" ID x 1-1/8" long bronze sleeves mounted on the 1/2" all-thread. The two sleeves are too long and the wheel will wobble back and forth. So it will need to be trimmed back. Or you can skip the bronze flanges in the legs and just use a 5/8" all-thread rod.

Here is the desired look with a 1/2" fender washer on the other wheel. the sleeves were removed so it would fit resessed into the wheel.

With a 10" wheel, the grill is nearly level with the legs sitting on a flat 2x4, so I would not use a caster larger than 3" since it will add 4" to the height and part of the legs will have to be cut off. And yes, I have that much crap in my garage right now...

I want to use 4" casters so I needed to upgrade to 13" wheels. The grill height is almost to my waist with the larger wheels, but it's not too high. The 13" wheels sould not require the sleeves to be trimmed down either since the hubs look to be a little wider. I'll find out tonight when I put everything on and cut down the all-thread.

Well, that's were it sits for now. I can mount the 13" wheels and cut down the new axle, but then I'm dead in the water until the correct 4" casters show up. They sent me 5" casters which will not work, they are 6-1/4" tall, plus the 2-3/4" posts that insert inside of the tubing would require the removal of the wire shelf, even with the 13" wheels.

-BMF

Last edited by BoilermakerFan on Wed Oct 28 09 1:34 am; edited 3 times in total
yukondude1
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23 06 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boilermaker,

What brand is your smoker?---looks very nice.

Thanks,
Yukondude
BoilermakerFan
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23 06 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a Char-Griller Smokin' Pro, hence the C-G in the subject line.

For $150-$170, these little grills/smokers are an amazing bargain. I'd love a DPP, but I don't have room for a trailer unit and I don't compete... yet. Twisted Evil

I have two more mods up my sleeves, but they're still in my head being "engineered."

- BMF

BoilermakerFan
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23 06 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I also wanted to note that the plastic handle on the E-Z Que is a high temperature Nylon, so it should not be an issue having it over the SFB. According to FedEx, my E-Z Que will be here Saturday!

BoilermakerFan
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30 06 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The E-Z Que arrived Saturday. The "knock-outs" for the rotissarie shaft were almos inpossible to knock out. I even used a hack saw to cut the sides before grabbing the steel tabs with pliers. One end came out mostly rounded at the top, the othe broke off square. I used my 10K rpm die grinder and a rought bit to clean up the opening, but it's not going to get much better without more work and tine than I'm willing to spend cleaning it up. It clears the shaft witout intereference so that's good enough for now... Pics will follow later once I have the other mods finished.

I had a muffler shop cut and flair a 24" piece of 3" OD pipe for me. It will now fit over the original smoke stack with the damper removed. I'm going to use JB Weld to add a stud to the top of the extension so I can still control the fire if I need to. The shop offered to weld up my charcoal/wood basket for $5 or $10 with angle iron hangers, so I ran to the farm supply shop and bought the plain steel expanded metal and 3/4" angle iron. I'll cut the shape out tonight and bring it over to the shop tomorrow so I can pick up the finished basket on Friday. I'll cut my 1/4" rod and thread it tonight to hold the basket in the SFB.

I also bought the ceramic briquettes recommended by Doc and the fiberglass stove rope to get a better seal on the lid.

Finally, I picked up some 16ga palin sheet steel to make some tuning plates. I don't know if they will be thick enough, but at least they will give me an idea of how well they work in a Char-Griller before I spend a lot more money on 10ga steel.

Well, I think that covers all of the planned mods and their status. Pics will follow once the mods are further along...

- BMF

BoilermakerFan
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01 06 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few pics...

The 4" casters were a little tougher to mount than I expected. I had to cut down the 1/2"-13 studs.

I'm working with John at E-Z Que to see if they can make the bracket extended to support the motor upside down so I can keep the side shelf. I also need to ask about another handle they have on their pics that is a round mushroom shape instead of the elongated one so it won't interfere with the SFB opening 100%.

I'm going to put 1/4" rods in the main grill chamber between the shelf mounting holes to hold indirect charcoal baskets front and rear (with foil lining to catch the ash) and also allow the use of tuner plates instead of using the charcoal tray upside down. I'm also going to run 1/4" rod horizontally and parallel to the main chamber to hold my charcoal baskel so I can use a larger basket. The SFB rods will be easily removable for when I need the SFB for added grill space.

I will have the smoke stack extension painted black to match the grill too.

She's being seasoned on Sunday!

Last edited by BoilermakerFan on Wed Oct 28 09 1:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Rubit
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01 06 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A work of pasion I would say. Gotta love those big wheels.
Tank smoker wood burner
Tank Charcoal grill
BoilermakerFan
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01 06 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Rubit.

I just needed a truely multi-purpose unit and this was the easiest way to get started. I just wish I had access to serious metal-working tools! Smile

smokemaster
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02 06 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great mods. Alot of CG's are sold here in Germany. Keep up the great work. Smile Looking forward to the final pics.

"Beauty Follows Smoke"
Smo-Ken
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03 06 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

X-L-N-T!!! Love the big wheels. I might try that on my Bar-B-Chef!

Thanks for the post!
Bar-B-Chef Offset Smoker
BBQ Pro Bullet
22" Weber kettles (Red & Blue)
'05 Skeeter TZX190/175 Yammi HPDI
smokin and jokin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03 06 3:38 am    Post subject: stack? Reply with quote

what did you use for your stack? It looks like a fuel tank drop tube
BoilermakerFan
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03 06 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the quodos guys.

s&j, the extension is a 24" piece of 3" OD exhaust pipe and the shop flaired the end to 3" ID to fit over the C-G's smoke stack. It's just 12 GA aluminized steel tube and was $10.

I'll post more later... busy weekend.

BoilermakerFan
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14 06 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, just a quick update...

I've been swamped, but it's back up in the upper 50's, low 60's here so I made some garage time.

I have my 1/4" rods cut for charcoal basket holders, both for the SFB and the cooking chamber. I used a profile transfer tool to take the shape of the cooking chamber so I could design the indirect baskets for the rotisserie. And guess what? A 12" x 24" piece of expanded metal is exactly the right size! I have two of the end caps drawn and need (4) more since I'm putting one in the middle for support.

My SFB basket utilizes a full 24" square piece of expanded metal. The basket will be 13-1/2" long, 11-1/2" deep and 5" tall. I'm using 3/4 angle to suspend the basket on the 1/4" rods.

John from E-Z Que also sent me a new motor bracket to try out and they are working on a side-mounted motor bracket design. We also discussed ball-bearing rollers similar to the very expensive ones DCS ships with their rotisserie. The damn motor/light on the DCS is $300 alone! Shocked

YES, new pics will be posted shortly!

BoilermakerFan
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15 06 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are progress pics...

I decided to add a new drain hole with the same setup as the other one since my C-G now slopes towards the firebox.

I decided to run my rods for the basket in the SFB parallel to the cooking chamber. I had to drill two more holes in the end of the SFB, but this way I can still use the cooking grate and charcoal grate in the SFB when I need it to grill hot dogs at the big summer party.

Here's the cardboard mock-up of my expanded metal basket. I used a complete 24" x 24" piece. It's 11-1/2" deep, 13-1/2" long and 5" deep. There will be 3/4" angle to catch the rods. I'm going to try to get it cut and bent over the weekend so I can run it to the welding shop Monday. The more work I do up front, the cheaper it is...

But I don't have any brakes, dollies, anvils, or other metal working tools. Just a Black & Decker Workmate 550, hammers, clamps and 2x4s. I did alright on forming the cooking chamber baskets though. They follow the curve of the bottom of the C-G. I used the 3" exhaust extension as my "forming" tool. I still need to cut out the end caps and middle support from my "scrap" 16GA sheet for the tuning plates. I was going to weld on a 1/4" angle to the bottoms to locate them, but I decided they will be held in place with bolts through the bottom of the baskets so I can still use two of the three tuning plates. Smile

And here you can see the other bracket for the E-Z Que motor. It will take a little work to adapt it, so I'm just going to pull the shelf off for the weekend. Once it's adapted, I will have alot more room over the shelf.

More pics to come once the all the baskets are welded up!

Last edited by BoilermakerFan on Wed Oct 28 09 1:37 am; edited 1 time in total
BoilermakerFan
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16 07 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Progress has been delayed by the holidays and sick kids...

I did pick up a 6" vise from Harbor Freight to clamp the 1/4" rod so I could thread the ends. It also has a 5" square anvil on the end so it will make it easier to form the big SFB basket.

Oh, and I ordered a few assorted sized of ball bearings from Boca Bearing to upgrade the support of my E-Z Que to be similar to the $450 rotisseries on DCS grills.

Pics will be posted after I get the basket finished.

SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16 07 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoilermakerFan wrote:
I did pick up a 6" vise from Harbor Freight to clamp the 1/4" rod so I could thread the ends. It also has a 5" square anvil on the end so it will make it easier to form the big SFB basket.

All day you said you bought it from Amazon or some such! Laughing

I still work here!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: