FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Butt did not cool off! Need help before I serve for Fathers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rolltide

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19 11 9:16 pm    Post subject: Butt did not cool off! Need help before I serve for Fathers Reply with quote

Cooked a butt yesterday and put in fridge without pulling first. I put the towels on top that I used to rest in the cooler and I prevented the butt from cooling down like it normally would have.

So I am concerned that I did not cool the butt down approprietly. Here are the times...

195 deg - 11pm placed in fridge (wrapped in foil, covered with towels)
90 deg - 9am when I just pulled from fridge

I put in cooler with ice until I get some guidence if the meat i ok to consume.

Thanks for your help. Happy Fathers Day!

Ryan
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19 11 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are the rules (and HUGE proponent of why I suggest pulling and ice bath in plastic zip-lock before putting into the fridge).

The meat should be cooled to room temp, then down to fridge temps within 4 hours.

The only way that I know of to safely accomplish the above (unless you own a blast chiller, and mos of us do not) is by pulling, bagging, and ice bath, then into the fridge.

Wanna take a chance you might be ok!

AND I WOULD NOT SUGGEST THE ABOVE IN ANY WAY SHAPE OR FORM

My professional and personal opinion is toss it.

Sorry my man, but its not a mistake you want to make with your family, and it's not a mistake you are likely to make again.
Inner10
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19 11 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BBQ man summed it up perfectly, according to the rules that butt is trash.

Never put anything hot in a fridge, its a refrigerator not a blast chiller, it will bring up the temp and harm other foods stored in it.
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19 11 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it were just myself and Debbie I would probably test the waters. I am not sure I would test the waters on a lot of guests. I know by now you realize the Butt should have been pulled placed in storage bags and given an ice bath before placing in the fridge. There is no real way of knowing how long the Butt stayed above 140 your talking about 10hrs. starting at 195 and dropping to 90. Sorry if I seem wishy washy on this.

Hybrid Cooker
Mr Tony's BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19 11 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe just run to the nearest food mart, grab a bunch of country ribs, rub em up and smoke at higher temps.....wont be quite as good as that butt WAS, but you will have some pulled pork for your gathering. [The pork country rib is actually part of the butt]
Being Blessed with income from my passion!
WWW.MRTONYSBBQ.COM
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19 11 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

k.a.m. wrote:
If it were just myself and Debbie I would probably test the waters. I am not sure I would test the waters on a lot of guests. I know by now you realize the Butt should have been pulled placed in storage bags and given an ice bath before placing in the fridge. There is no real way of knowing how long the Butt stayed above 140 your talking about 10hrs. starting at 195 and dropping to 90. Sorry if I seem wishy washy on this.

We know it was at 90 after 10 hours in the fridge.

Chances are very good it was below 140 longer than 4 hours, but there is no way to tell for sure either way.

It's trash, sorry.
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19 11 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As with many things you take your own chances for your self and your family, but for guests, I will add my voice to the don't do it crowd.

I don't know enough about how fridges efficiently cool, and how food cools in fridges either.

If it was a straight line cooling, (of all parts of the meat), then it's possible that you can get away with it, but is it really worth the risk... I don't think so!

I still work here!
Pit Boss
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20 11 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the two biggest lessons to learn here is that wrapping in a towel is for resting...resting before cooling. You can cool after the rest.

The "temperature danger zone" starts at 135 degrees. Above that point and you're ok no matter the time frame. Once you drop below 135 you need to get the meat to 70 degrees within 2 hours. At that point, you have 4 hours to get the meat from 70 to 40 degrees.

I would certainly toss the meat you already have.

I would also never put meat wrapped in a towel in my refrigerator ever again. I hope no one actually told you to do that.
jednalf

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20 11 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would tear that sucker apart and eat it Whats the worst that will happen?
A little Vomiting never hurt anyone
2 18.5 Weber Kettels
2 22.5 Weber Kettels
1 SS Weber Performer
1 18.5 WSM
feldon30
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20 11 1:40 am    Post subject: Re: Butt did not cool off! Need help before I serve for Fat Reply with quote

rolltide wrote:
Cooked a butt yesterday and put in fridge without pulling first. I put the towels on top that I used to rest in the cooler and I prevented the butt from cooling down like it normally would have.

So I am concerned that I did not cool the butt down approprietly. Here are the times...

195 deg - 11pm placed in fridge (wrapped in foil, covered with towels)
90 deg - 9am when I just pulled from fridge

I put in cooler with ice until I get some guidence if the meat i ok to consume.

Others have explained pretty much everything but WOW it sounds like some information was pulled from here and there and kinda blended together. Please don't take this harshly, but I just want to clarify these points for the future so you don't have to throw away your hard work again.

I would EITHER: Wrap a whole hot butt (190-200F) in towels and put in an igloo WITH NO ICE for up to 5 hours. It will still be above 145F and thus safe. Promptly pull/shred the butt, and serve it.

OR: Pull/shred the butt immediately, pack the pulled pork loosely into Ziplock bags no thicker than 3/4 inch. Cool ziplock bags in a sink full of cold water for 30 minutes and then place in the fridge (not stacked on top of each other) for a few days, or freeze for up to 6 months.

• Chilling a whole butt = Makes it really hard to pull
  • A large piece of hot meat in a cold fridge = could ruin everything in your fridge from milk to eggs. Every item in your fridge probably went up 20 degrees for several hours.
  • Wrapping hot meat in towels and putting it in a refrigerator = Guaranteed bacteria growth

BluDawg
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20 11 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jednalf wrote:
+1 Air is the big spoiler of food if the butt was wrapped in foil it is a fairly air tight environment. Now if it was sitting out on the counter unwraped that is a whole different animal.
I pull Butts & brisket off the pit wrap in foil and to rest in an empty cooler and go to bed. by the time I get around to pulling the butt it is warm once pulled it goes into bags and into the Ice box. Been doing this for YEARS and I Anit made no one sick yet.JM2C YMMV
Webber 22 OTS
Memorial UDS "Big Jim"
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20 11 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BluDawg wrote:
jednalf wrote:
+1 Air is the big spoiler of food if the butt was wrapped in foil it is a fairly air tight environment. Now if it was sitting out on the counter unwraped that is a whole different animal.
I pull Butts & brisket off the pit wrap in foil and to rest in an empty cooler and go to bed. by the time I get around to pulling the butt it is warm once pulled it goes into bags and into the Ice box. Been doing this for YEARS and I Anit made no one sick yet.JM2C YMMV

That is false!

Botulism is particular grows in an anaerobic environment.

That is why commercial outfits must have HAACP plan in place, AND obtain a variance to be permitted the practice.

This site is great, and it's also a great to spread the word based on facts and truth's.

Do as you wish in your own home, but that assumption is patently false and I would never suggest otherwise to John Q public.

The fact that nobody has gotten sick using your method is just pure luck.

Not to sound harsh, but.........................
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20 11 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Straight from my Serve-Safe managers book:

feldon30
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20 11 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I temp the butt about 1 inch into the meat after I take it out of the cooler. If it's 135F, I am good-to-go. If it's 125F, then it was probably in the 'zone' for an hour or two. Below that, I start getting nervous.

I know I am a broken record on this but I really am hooked on smoking butts in the afternoon into the evening, foil, throw it in the oven til 8am, double wrap in foil, wrap in towels, throw it in an igloo, and it's perfect and ready-to-pull til 1pm without additional warming.
compound13

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20 11 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i know this comment will be met with much guffawing and ridicule, but here you go nonetheless...

if you're REALLY in a tight situation - go to costco and get the kirkland signature smoked pulled pork. 2 lbs of precooked vacuum sealed meat for $10 and i'm telling you it's actually not that bad. there's obviously no bark, but in a pinch trying to feed a hungry crowd...you could do worse....and i'm guessing they cooled their's down properly Smile

kind of got me thinking - I think it would be funny/interesting to see some competition scores of packaged ribs and pulled pork just to see how badly they score against "live" food and how they score in relation to each other.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: