FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Foxx's Den, Effingham, IL

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> BBQ Restaurant Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pinkelephant
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14 11 8:27 pm    Post subject: Foxx's Den, Effingham, IL Reply with quote

I finally went in the "Foxx's Den" (exit 162, beside pilot in Effingham, IL)

I generally don't eat at bars but the "best BBQ in Efffingham" sign made me do it. the sign isn't boasting too much. there is only one other BBQ joint if you take "Lone Star" off the list.

the place was started by a couple from Vegas. the guy moved from here to vegas and 7 yrs later he moved back with his gf to make a hooters type bar. they were not expecting the heat they got from doing that in the bible belt and business wasn't good. he has a sweeeet smoker in the kitchen that came with the property. it's a rotisserie like the "ole hickory" at Pappy's. it called southern pride or old south or something. he realized how popular the BBQ specials were when he finally fired it up and then he decided he needed a pitmaster. people were turning in applications for the job when one guy came in and dropped a brisket on his desk and started talking about different parts of the smoke ring. all he could think about was "when will you start?".

I got the guts to ask his gf what she did in Vegas (always a dangerous question) and she was a blackjack dealer.
great, friendly couple. we had the pulled pork sandwich. awesome and juicy but I would have smoked it more. I will try the rest too.

I asked to see the smoker, not realizing I was inviting myself into the kitchen. he had to go first and warn the staff. they bent over backwards to please a guy in shorts and flip-flops.

oh, and the iced tea is awesome. comes in big mason jars. I'm picky about my tea.
| _Trucks-n-BBQ _ | H|--[ ]\____,
|_______________| H|___|____|
(o)(o)"""""""""""(o)(o)****(____)(o)
Pinkelephant
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21 11 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just went back for round 2. I had brisket and my friend had dry ribs (they offer wet or dry). I still think the smoke is a little weak. kind of an after taste but having said that, we had another awesome meal. The brisket was unique. it was more tender than a roast. you could break it up in your mouth with your tongue. I haven't decided if that was a good thing or not but I liked it. it wasn't soggy, just real tender. it had a good flavor.

the green beans had bacon bits, the baked beans had pork, the mashed potatoes and gravy were homemade and a little chunky. first class meal. I will keep going back, they are the best around here.

Pappy's in Saint Louis ruined me for bbq restaurants. Everytime I eat out, I compare it to Pappy's Embarassed
| _Trucks-n-BBQ _ | H|--[ ]\____,
|_______________| H|___|____|
(o)(o)"""""""""""(o)(o)****(____)(o)
Natural Hattrick 3

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21 15 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only live about 30 minutes from this place. Drove by it a few times. Next time I will stop in and and give it a try.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> BBQ Restaurant Reviews All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: