FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

BBQ Turkey
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Muscle Head BBQ
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Nov 13 2006    Post subject: BBQ Turkey Reply with quote

I want to cook two Turkeys for Thanksgiving but my parents don't want to go through the trouble of brining the turkeys. I know I am cooking them in my Traeger just like an oven but I would like to at least add a little smoke flavor to the birds. How long can i smoke a stuffed bird at 250 degrees before I need to crank up the heat?

flex............
Hasty-Bake Legacy
Webber Kettle
Beverage-Air Kegerator
JamesB
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Nov 13 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will not cook a stuffed bird... Too many nasties to worry about with the stuffing soaking up all of that bird juice as it's cooking... cook the stuffing stuff seperate.

Now if you don't want to brine, get yourself a couple of those factory "enhanced" birds, Butterball works great. It's already pre-brined so to speak... I like to cook smaller birds so that the breast is done about the same time the thighs are... I like turks in the 12lb range and they take about 4-5 hours at temps hovering around 275° - 300°

James.
Muscle Head BBQ
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Nov 15 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

No thoughts anybody??
Hasty-Bake Legacy
Webber Kettle
Beverage-Air Kegerator
allsmokenofire
BBQ All Star

flex wrote:
No thoughts anybody??

I think you can either stuff it, or smoke it....but not safely do both. If you want it stuffed, crank up the heat to 300-325 and get it done in 20ish mins/lb. but it won't have as much smoke flavor.

If you want it smoked, go 225-240 for 35ish mins/lb but don't stuff it. Too much time in the danger zone at the lower temp for a stuffed bird, IMO. Put the stuffing in a foil pan on the smoker next to the bird.

Just my 11.4 pyas... Wink
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

I'm with those guys! Very Happy

Stuffed and smoked turkey is not a good idea! Mad

Otherwise, your idea is a good one. It will also free up some oven space. (downside is no turkey cooking smells in the house!)

I dont usually brine mine, just rub with some olive oil, season up real good, and smoke at about 275'.
Big Mike
BBQ Pro

I agree with the others on the stuffing part, I would not smoke it stuffed.

I do not brine my turkeys, I use Tony Chacheres Creole Butter injection. So that is an option to brining. I wrap the turkey with cheesecloth that has been soaked in melted butter and cook smoke at 300 degrees until the breast hits about 165. The cheesecloth and higher temp helps with skin color and crispness. At 300 degrees you will still have plenty of time for the turkey to take on smoke as well.

Eagle River BBQ
CBJ
Stumps Platinum 5 Trailer
Smokin Tex ST1400
Chargriller Charcoal Grill
Members Mark 8-burner Gasser
skybob
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Nov 16 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing to think about there Flex, while you're cooking it in the Traeger, even at 300, the bird will be immersed in smoke. You'll be cooking it in a very smoky oven.
I did a 16# wild turkey a month ago, cooked it around 250 for 7 hours, came out great. Brined it first though.
Rubit
BBQ Pro

Just to add to the others, if you want to put something the cavity then use a few thin slices of orange, lemon, and onion with a few leafy cerlery tops, but do not stuff it full. Use 325F. A heavy smoked turkey is just not very good so go light on the smoke.
Tank smoker wood burner
Tank Charcoal grill

Last edited by Rubit on Nov 16 2006; edited 1 time in total
mlebwill

I agree on not stuffing the bird - I put a few onion half’s, celery tops and carrots in the cavity and I always brine the bird. I have even gotten into the habit of brining the non smoked turkeys my wife cooks.

One thing to note when brining a turkey - make sure you get a fresh turkey! Turkeys in solution or solution added (otherwise known as self basting - Butterballs) should not be brined. I usually go with a blend of apple, pecan and alder when I smoke turkeys - but I have wanted to try maple to enhance the sweetness of my basting liquid.

Good luck flex!
jminion
BBQ Fan

Flex
I would not stuff the bird either cook the stuffing in the smoker for a bit if that's what your looking for but I don't cook stuffed turkeys in the oven.

I cook on a Traeger myself (one of a number of cookers) and I like turkey smoked at 325, I don't low and slow poultry.
Primos
BGE
Rancher kettle
Klose Mobile
jminion
BBQ Fan

dw wrote:
Big Mi9ke,

How much time per pound at 300°? What if I did two 12 pounders? What am I looking at timewise?

20 min a pound aprox
Primos
BGE
Rancher kettle
Klose Mobile
JamesB
BBQ Super Pro

one thing that has been mentioned, but should be remembered is that even cooking a turkey in a smoker at oven roasting temps, you will still get that smokey flavor into the bird. Poultry has a delicate flesh that takes on flavor very easily... I'm overly cautious (sp?) when cooking any type of poultry and opt for higher temps... besides, I like the crispy skin!

Good luck on your cook...

James.
Muscle Head BBQ
BBQ Fan

I was thinking about rubbing turkey with some poultry spice since I will not be stuffing the bird. Any thoughts???

Flex.............
Hasty-Bake Legacy
Webber Kettle
Beverage-Air Kegerator
Bedlam BBQ
BBQ Super Pro

flex wrote:
I was thinking about rubbing turkey with some poultry spice since I will not be stuffing the bird. Any thoughts???

Flex.............

Absolutely use some sort of rub. Make sure to get some rub up under the skin a little as well. I rub a little EVOO on first and then apply the dry rub. Just need to go easy on any rub that has salt in it if you are using a bird that has been "enhanced" with solution since this will contain salt as well. I also tend to go a little light on the rub anyway since the meat isn't as thick as say a brisket or something -- and the rub I use has a considerable amount of salt in it (I don't make my own rub although some day I may).

Good luck to you with your bird.
Muscle Head BBQ
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Nov 17 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm cooking two fresh 12 pounders. At what temp do I pull them out?

Flex...........
Hasty-Bake Legacy
Webber Kettle
Beverage-Air Kegerator
allsmokenofire
BBQ All Star

flex wrote:
I'm cooking two fresh 12 pounders. At what temp do I pull them out?

Flex...........

For me, I pull 'em when the breast measures 160-165 and the thigh juices run clear when pierced w/ the probe. Pull it off the smoker and let it rest for 20 mins before carving. The temp will creep up another 4-5 degrees while it rests.

....but thats just me.
Big Mike
BBQ Pro

dw wrote:
Big Mi9ke,

How much time per pound at 300°? What if I did two 12 pounders? What am I looking at timewise?

I would say 15-20 minutes per lb. If I remember correctly, the last turkey I did was about 20lbs and it took about 5 hours.

Eagle River BBQ
CBJ
Stumps Platinum 5 Trailer
Smokin Tex ST1400
Chargriller Charcoal Grill
Members Mark 8-burner Gasser
mrcustomsteel
BBQ Super Pro

I've done quite a few turkeys over the years but this will be the first time with a thermometor. They have always turned out great, six hours on my old rig, no problems. BUT but these days I can't get "internal temp" out of my head. This internal temp thing is screwing up my briskets too. Internal temp, internal temp! I feel like Desi Arnaz screaming "trailer brakes" in my sleep. Help!
Shocked
I have searched and I'm finding a range of 160 to 190, That's a huge difference. Any concensus on pull temp?
Bedlam BBQ
BBQ Super Pro

I would think if the breast meat temp got to 190, the thighs and legs would be way over done. I too have never done the thermometer way of cooking -- I always just went by time and looked for clear juice. But I'm trying to get myself used to doing things by internal temp also (and I feel your pain about internal temp driving you crazy -- it's taken all the fun out of smoking).

I just can't seem to get the remote thermometers (like the Taylor I have) to get good readings on things like chicken and turkey. I think that Thermopen would be ideal at getting instant reads on temp -- I've got one on my Christmas wish list although thats not gonna do me any good for this Thanksgiving turkey.

Best of luck to all turkey smokers this Thanksgiving.

And for Mike (Smokedelics), if you do smoke your turkey, and I'm not saying you are... Laughing
allsmokenofire
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Nov 18 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

SStory wrote:
And for Mike (Smokedelics), if you do smoke your turkey, and I'm not saying you are... Laughing

...but if I did, I probably would, unless something prohibited that from happening, and then again I may not. We'll see.....I might let you know. Either way, I may take some photos, regardless. Wink

(I think I could be a politician's press secretary, unless I had to wear a skirt Shocked )
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: