FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hello From Ireland!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Introduce Yourself
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ohoopee

PostPosted: Sun May 22 11 3:19 am    Post subject: Hello From Ireland!! Reply with quote

Hello Everyone. I am a classically trained chef who currently lives and works in Ireland. I was born and raised near Savannah Georgia and BBQ is and will forever be near and dear to my heart.

I have two culinary degrees, one from a very well-known Culinary School in the United States and another from a very well-known Culinary School in Europe.

It has been a dream of mine for many years to open up my own BBQ restaurant. I have started developing some aspects of my dream but need advice on others. It is my opinion that you can't have BBq without Brunswick stew. I am very happy with my Brunswick Stew Recipe. I have also been working on my own BBQ Sauce and dry rub recipe. I am not completely satisfied with either yet but both are very close.

Through the course of my professional cooking career, I have had very few opportunities to smoke. In most cases if we needed something smoked, we would actually buy it in that way. Every so often we would want to smoke a duck breast or a mackerel and so we would create a make shift smoker out of a roasting rack and a wok. Or even a hotel band and a perforated hotel pan. But nothing on a major scale.

I am not unrealistic... I am not expecting to master all of this within this year and have a restaurant opened by the end of this year. I am looking to move back to the States and open my own BBQ place in around 2 to 2 and a half years. Any fool can go out side... throw a piece of meat into a smoker and call it BBQ. But as you can imagine, I am a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to food and I want to make sure that my BBQ is the best that it can possibly be. It is the smoking aspects... smoker design and such that I need advice on because it is just beyond my experience. I am a big believer is cook books and other cooking literature... not as a step by step how too but as a general road map and I would love for someone to recommend a book How-to book for Barbequing.

I look forward to my time here.
Soapm
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun May 22 11 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome...
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 22 11 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forums!

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=cameron+stove+top+smoker&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=2743294345&ref=pd_sl_27q0xvzwzk_b

I have been cooking BBQ for 5 or 6 years and I've yet to see a single book that can cover all the different things about smoking that I have learned by actually doing it.

Build yourself a Big Baby http://www.thesmokering.com/pits/metalpit/bigbaby/default.jsp or a
UDS http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=49419 then when you have an idea about doing it small scale you can move up to some of the more industrial sized pits.

It's the "doing" that will get you there IMO! Wink

I still work here!
italian skewer
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun May 22 11 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the ring Ohoopee.
Weber 22.5" Silver
Weber Smokey Joe

If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?
Canadian Bacon
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Sun May 22 11 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the ring Ohoopee.
Napoleon Legend Gasser
20"& 26" Discada
Two of the fastest Thermapens ever made ... Black& Blue
LIAR #25
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Sun May 22 11 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the ring Ohoopee, looking forward to seeing some pics of your cooks. Smile

Hybrid Cooker
Ohoopee

PostPosted: Mon May 23 11 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for the welcome.

SoEzzy,

That Big Baby looks great!!! I will have to wait until I move into my house though. I am living in an Apartment at the moment and don't have anywhere to put it but when I do... a big baby will be my first priority.
stringbender128
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue May 24 11 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome!
NAVET
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon May 30 11 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Ohoopee.
I would advise you to ready EVERY post on The Ring. I get so much good advice here from guys who have been smokin for years and it is free. If you want to pay for mediocre advice, buy books. JMHO
Then I would advise you to get a large group of friends and let them "test" your food. This will need to be done every weekend and is possible, during the week as well. Between The Ring and smoking weekly, you'll catch on quick.

Competitive BBQ; The only sport where a fat, bald man can be looked upon as a hero.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Introduce Yourself All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: