FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lobster
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Seafood Recipes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
krimson_cardnal

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14 06 3:12 am    Post subject: Lobster Reply with quote

Any one ever toss a few 2#'rs in the smoker? K_C
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29 06 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont waste a perfectly good lobster there Krimson! Very Happy They pretty much turn to rubber- not good! Shocked Quick and hot steamed lobsters are the only way to go!
allsmokenofire
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29 06 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best way to cook lobster is in the dishwasher....sans soap, of course. Wink
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29 06 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You must have one heck of a dishwasher there, Mike! Laughing
bigabyte
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29 06 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What cycle? Laughing
krimson_cardnal

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30 06 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BBQMAN wrote:
Dont waste a perfectly good lobster there Krimson! Very Happy They pretty much turn to rubber- not good! Shocked Quick and hot steamed lobsters are the only way to go!

I figured as much, though I have split 'em live and cooked them over charcoal - hot and quick. Not bad once you get over splitting a live lobster down the middle.

Don't have a dish washer so I doubt I will try that, well actually I'm the dish washer, so I guess I've been doing them that way and not knowing it.

BEST way is a large stainless pot w/ about 3" of sea water brought to a hard boil, lobster in head first and cover tightly. Cook 12 minutes and pull 'er out. Crack off tail - legs - knuckles - claws in large stainless bowl to drain liquid. Split tail and claws and crack the knuckles and enjoy w/ cold pale ale or ice tea. K_C
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02 06 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, there you have it! Very Happy

We have family in Booth Bay Harbor, Maine. Looking foward to some lobsta over the holidays when we go up to visit! Very Happy
krimson_cardnal

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02 06 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bbqman - south boothbay island, just before the bridge, GREAT lobster warf OR shaws warf up coast a bit. Not sure their open in winter, but w/ family there, noo problemo. My daughter lives in Waldoboro. You're sure to enjoy 'em.

Maine - "The way life should be." K_C

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28 07 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well this has been a great help for me, I mean all the posts that I read here made me richer with experience as I came across many unknown recipes. So can consider myself lucky to have found this place. Anyways I would like to ask if you people can also provide me with some helpful links on the caloric balance of the foods that are described here. My hubby needs to put a check in that, so I want to make some surprising dishes for him and at the same time dont want to make him obese.
barnburner180
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17 07 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We went to Maine last year and after eating all the lobster I could, I told wifey that we may be moving to Maine just for the lobster. I absolutely love it and they have it like BBQ around here where I live (KC).
marvsbbq
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28 07 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BBQMAN wrote:

Mike, with you having a grill, how come you don't grill the lobster instead of boil them???
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29 07 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marv, because they come off the grill like rubber chickens! Shocked Mad High heat from a grill just doesn't work for me. Try it out at home on the family, and get back to me on your results! Your milage may vary, but I doubt it. Wink

Folks spending that kind of money want a tasty product. I cook Maine lobsters flown in that day for my lobster bake dinners.

The only other method that I have found that works well besides boiling is baked stuffed lobster.

Either way, the price is just too high to make a mistake. There is a ring member here that makes a low country steamer that would be perfect for lobster/clam bakes. It is reasonably priced, and if I did more of them I would buy one.
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29 07 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And how did it go Marv?
Damar12
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03 07 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spicy Cajun Boiled Lobster

2 lg Onions, coarsely chopped
3 ea Heads garlic, halved
2 c Celery, coarsely chopped
4 ea Live whole Maine lobsters
6 oz Liquid crab boil
1 lb Butter, melted
6 ea Lemons, quartered
2 T Seafood seasoning
2/3 ea Box of salt
Juice of 2 lemons
6 ea Bay leaves
1 t Garlic powder

First, fill a stock pot with enough water to completely cover the lobsters you're going to cook. Then bring it to a rapid boil. Now add the onions, celery, liquid crab boil, lemons, salt, bay leaves, and garlic. The water will stop boiling; but when it comes back to a rapid boil, cook the vegetable seasonings for at least 20 minutes to develop a rich flavored stock. If you want to add a little "lagniappe" (like corn on the cob or small red potatoes), drop those in right at the moment the water begins to boil, time them for about 14 to 16 minutes, then remove them from the pot. When you're lagniappe is ready, very gently drop in the lobsters---I recommend you submerge them claws and head first, if you put them in the water tail first, they tend to splash the boiling liquid all over the stove and you! Immediately, the water will stop boiling. When it comes back to a boil, that's when you begin timing the lobsters at...8 minutes to the pound. This is critical. Less than 8 minutes to the pound and they're tough and chewy: more than 8 minutes to the pound and they're grainy and mushy. Now while they're boiling, make you're lemon-butter-garlic sauce by heating the melted butter in a saucepan and stirring in thoroughly the lemon juice, the garlic powder, and seafood seasoning. Then when the lobsters are done, carefully remove them from the pot with a long handled pair of tongs and place them on a platter covered with several sheets of paper towel so that they can drain. When you're ready to eat---and lobster should always be eaten right away while they're still piping hot!---remove the head from the tail (just like a crawfish). Then separate the head shell from the gill and leg portion (you know how you do when you get ready to scoop the fat out of a crawfish head?). The lobster fat is called "tamale." But unlike crawfish fat it has a greenish rather than yellowish tint. Forget about the color---it is delicious. Now with a sharp paring knife, split open the cartilage underside of the lobster tail from the top to the bottom. Then grab hold of the tail meat with your hand and pull it out of the shell. It should all come out in one piece. Now take the knife and slice the tail meat crosswise into bite size pieces---these are your "medallions." Next, remove the pinchers, crack them open, and take out all the meat---there's a lot in there! And remember, there are three sections in a lobster claw---each one is loaded with meat. Dip the meat in the lemon-butter sauce and pig out. If you like to pick through the shells, there are small pieces of highly flavorful meat located just above the legs in the head. And in a large lobster, some of the sweetest, best tasting meat is in the leg shells.
NOTE: If you prefer to have your lobsters "extra spicy," boil them only 5 minutes to the pound. Then remove the pot from the burner and allow the lobsters to "soak" in the hot stock for another 20 minutes.
rob p

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04 07 1:33 am    Post subject: A better fate for lobsters. Reply with quote

I live on Narragansett Bay in RI, and lobsters are served here in all their glory. Down the road at the Venus De Milo where Emeril got his start, they serve them stuffed lazy fishermen's style, stuffed with cracker crumbs butter and lobster meat. Their three pounder runs about sixty bucks and is a favorite birthday or anniversary gift. I like to split them down the middle, scoop out the guts and gills, add butter and crumbs, crack the claws, paint the tail meat with melted butter and give them ten minutes under the broiler. Sit the halves on top of a little scampi. garlic, olive oil pasta. Nice. Over the last few years lobsters have gone sky high, and stretching the meal out has been the idea. They raise the size limits so the Canadian boats can't sell the one pounders and we can't sell the pound and an eighth restaurant chicks. We went from $5 for a restaurant chick off the boats to $7 a pound with a pound and a quarter minimum. One or two lobsters and the occasional lobster roll is a summers fare these days. Trout and salmon with a little soy sauce and brown sugar are fine for the smoker. Lobsters are getting too expensive to play with.
SmokinMN
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29 07 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad that I read this I have a 1/4 of beef coming Saturday morning and I was cleaning out my chest freezer and came across some lobster that was in there. My sister in laws boyfriedn used to work lobster boats on the east coast so I got a great deal on some.

I was thinking of the smoker, but I see that it not the route to go.

Kingsford Barrel Grill
Brinkmann Smoke N Grill
Weber 18.5"
Weber 22.5"
Smokey Joe
Teleking
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04 07 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BBQ Man you need to try the trash can lobster bake for an authentic Maine flavor. Its like a lobster mini-lobster bake.

Start a pretty good fire in a fire pit and get it cooling down to coals

While your waiting for the fire, take a brand new galvanized large trash can. Put 3 to 6 inches of water in the bottom and then add about 10 to 12 of fresh rock seaweed in the bottom. Fashion baskets out of chicken wire (or what ever you have) for holding food. Put the items that take the longest to cook in first. Place a 4 to 6 in layer of rock weed in between. Usually potatoes first, lobsters, layer of sausage -hot dogs, corn on the cob, then steamers on top (uncovered).

Place the trash can in the fire and mound coals up around the bottom and keep fire going. It will not cook properly on a fire or turkey fryer as there is not enough heat. Cover with lid slightly off set to vent steam. When the check occasionally and when the steamers have opened indicating they are done, the whole bake is done. Usually about an hour our so if you have some good heat.

http://www.yankeemagazine.com/recipes/search/onerecipe.php?number=626

BBQman. On your way to Boothbay Harbor stop in Wiscasset at Reds. Voted the best lobster roll in Maine. FYI the lobster prices up here are the highest I have seen in a long time.
polock
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat May 24 08 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone have a cajun style boil for clams and lobster, on my way back to missouri i am going to run by the old port in portland and get about 10 pounds of lobster, 10 pounds of steamers, and maybe depending on what the have some crab. i like the cajun style boils, but have never done a clam boil so i could use some help
weber genesis E-320
Weber Performer
Smokey joe
2 UDS's (love em)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
mcg0958

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10 08 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about some crab legs? Same thing? Rubber?
CrazyChef
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10 08 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcg0958 wrote:
What about some crab legs? Same thing? Rubber?

Crab legs are usually cooked as soon as they come off the boat. If you do them, I would over-spice the water and just put the (frozen) legs in for about 4 minutes. If thawed, put them in for about 3 minutes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Seafood Recipes All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: