FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help with first time Salmon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Seafood Recipes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
animal
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sun May 29 11 8:35 am    Post subject: Help with first time Salmon Reply with quote

I bought 2 pounds of Salmon to smoke for my wife, I have no clue how to do it. I have a Lang and a gasser. also a New Braunfels offset to use if charcoal would be better, Could someone point me to a link. I looked at the Salmon sticky and couldn't figure out why it was a sticky. Not to offend but I didn't see a recipe there, unless I missed it,

Thanks
Smoke Hollow #5
Lang 48 D
Acorn Komado
And a couple of Weber kettles
Jarhead
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sun May 29 11 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Animal, I tried this recipe a couple years back. It was good, if you like salmon.
http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/salmon1.html

Here's another
http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/salmon2.html
Good luck and take pics.

Jarhead's World Blog
KCBS CBJ & HMFIC Debbie's Q Shack
Chefmikey

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21 11 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Animal,
I grew up in the best trout country in western Canada and have been smoking trout (landlocked salmon) most of my life.
Our old stand by recipe is:
4C water
1C soy sauce
1C brown sugar
1/2C salt
3 Tbsp black pepper (more if you like it spicy)

Put all in a pot and bring up the temp till the sugar and salt have all dissolved, then cool to room temp. You can leave the skin on the fish (makes it hang together better) place the fish into a big zip lock baggie and add the cool brine. Squeeze out the air and place into the fridge for 8-12 hours.
Take the fish out and let them air dry while you get the smoker fired up - this is an important step as it allows the surface of the fish to form a kind of 'skin' which will really draw in the smoke flavour.
Grease your smoker rack with spray oil (pam or such) and place the fish skin side down on the cool end of your smoker (if it has one). Smoke at 180 -200 deg. for at least 4 hours. Take a small piece out and let it cool, then taste. If you want it drier or more smokey - let it continue - if not, you're done. You will see some white 'ooze' coming out of the fish when it's getting close to done - this is the proteins cooking out and is perfectly normal. You can scrape this iff once the fish has cooled if it disturbs you.
Once done and cool, you can freeze the fish (if there's any left) for months with no change in taste. Use this as is on crackers or as a kick butt base for a great dip.

Feel free to adjust the salt/soy/pepper in the recipe as needed to suit your tastes. My Dad and I once caught 40 lbs of trout and smoked the whole bunch for appetizer trays at my oldest sister's wedding - we still have friends talking about that one!

Grill-Pro offset
Master Forge ECB/WSM clone
Weber 18" kettle - silver
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Seafood Recipes All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: