FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

BBQ Turkey
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bedlam BBQ
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Nov 18 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, seeing Mike in a skirt... now that's a scary thought. What would Christie think???

And I could just see the White House Press Room -- all decked out in tie-die.
SoEzzy
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Nov 18 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are the latest USDA guidelines for cooking turkey.

They say 165 in the breast is hot enough for bug killing purposes, but is just their minimum, not the temperature they recommend stopping cooking it at.

I like to cook to 175 in the breast, for a moist tender bird, my wife likes me to cook them to 185 - 190 internal as she likes a drier meat than I and the kids do, I will often, cook one full bird for the kids and I, and a breast only for the wife, (and leftover sandwiches). Wink

Personnaly I like to cookin different ways with different temperatures: -

15 mins / lb at 375 + 15 minutes for the bird, so 12 lb turkey = 195 minutes (3 hours 15 minutes total cooking time).
18 mins / lb at 350 + 18 minutes for the bird, so 12 lb turkey = 234 minutes (3 hours 54 minutes total cooking time).
20 mins / lb at 325 + 20 minutes for the bird, so 12 lb turkey = 260 minutes (4 hours 20 minutes total cooking time).

I bounce around all over the temeratur range, sometimes lower still, I have done a few turkey breasts down at 250, but because they were breast only I did them 22 mins / lb, if they had been full birds I would have looked at 25 - 28 minutes / lb cooking time based on weight + 1 lb as above.

I still work here!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: