FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Christmas on the River - Demopolis, Alabama

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Competition BBQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
napper
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Dec 01 2006    Post subject: Christmas on the River - Demopolis, Alabama Reply with quote

Hey guys!

Hope to see some of you guys tomorrow in Demopolis!

I will be on the JoJoe's BBQ team.

Come by and have a cup of coffee and lets talk BBQ. It is first competition so we will be new to everything! But, we plan on having a blast!

Napper
Rub N Smoke
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Dec 03 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Luck!! Let us know how ya'll did. Twisted Evil
4320/ Tejas Cooker
My 7 year old Daughters E-Z Bake Oven (only in Emergencies)
Check out: www.myspace.com/cookinwitalittlespit
napper
BBQ Fan

Well we learned A LOT on out first competition.

We had all the rules down....
We had everything we needed......

But, we failed to understand the type of BBQ the KCBS judges expect to see. We placed very low in everthing except for chicken. We placed 10th in chicken.

I was brought up thinking the real BBQ was smoked with wood smoke and it was served dry without any sweet coverup sauce.
This is not what is expected at a KCBS function! I will be ready next time with the candy sauce. I preferred a tart spicy vinegar based sauce if I use any at all. Nope.... got to give that up for competition. Got to go heavy tomato sweet type.

We this was out first but will not be our last! We will cook BBQ to compete with and then cook BBQ like we love to eat.

Maybe that is not such a bad thing.
But, We had a real blast at the event! Even if it was 28 degrees last night!
We will do out next competition in March in Mobile, AL.

Cannot wait. This was a real blast.(man I am tired)

Napper
jvreeland
BBQ Fan

NAPPER - Matt and I just got home and will get the pics up as well as the story of us riding out the tornado on Thursday night.

A preview of it can be read about here and TV Station interview can be found here, called Demopolis Storm under Feature Video.

More to come after a good night sleep.
PatioDaddio
BBQ Fan

Knowing your guests (a.k.a. the average judge) is job one. Smile While 'understanding a judge' may seem oxymoronic, I have found that the best way to handle the average KCBS judge is to 'walk four tight ropes', as I call it. I strive to strike a perfect balance of all the predominant BBQ flavors: smoke, salt, sweet and spice. If you can imagine those four flavors as dials, I want them all to read exactly the same. In other words, I want all of them to show up to the party, but I also want each of them to have a dancing partner.

John

P.S. Mike and Debbie (Lotta Bull) are a Whole Helluva Lotta Competition. Very Happy
napper
BBQ Fan

Wow.
You guys really had an adventure. Just goes to show you how determined BBQers take their sport!

Thirty years from now you can tell your grandkids about the time you lived through the BBQ tornado of 06'!!!!!!!!!!!

Since this was our first time I had no idea there would be such a party. There were hundreds of people there Friday night for the party! I was freezing my butt off and there were folks walking around in "T" shirts!!
I can't imagine what the turnout would have been if it had been 65 degrees!

We, time to take a day or two off cleaning up the cooker and then time to plan for the Mobile cookoff. This one will not take as much time and gas to get there. (20 miles) I think we are going to plan a "party" for the family and friends. We only have 3 months..... Got to get busy!

Napper
Big Tom
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Dec 04 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to hear that you survived both your first contest and the weather!

Patio is spot on with his flavor recomendations. As you cook more contests you will also get a better feel for the level of tenderness/doneness that the judges prefer/expect.

The KCBS pork category can really be tricky with sauce use. I am still learning the ropes for KCBS as well. I have heard many mention that they don't use any sauce on the pork. I have used some to glaze the bark, with mixed results. The ribs and chicken do best with a sauce glaze cooked on them.
I have also seen mixed results with and without sauce on the brisket.

The best advice on the flavors is to avoid anything too extreme.

Good Luck for the future!
jvreeland
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Dec 05 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

So here is the link from our Photos that we took this weekend.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jvreeland/sets/72157594404237496

What you will miss is the "freezing our nuts off" photos that we did not take on Friday night/ Saturday morning. Our site was no more then 100 years from the River, so we had a wind chill below 20 degrees late Friday and early Saturday morning.

I am going to make another post asking for recommendations on our presentation.
DawgPhan
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Dec 05 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey I dont know if those are pictures are pictures of the actual boxes that you turned in, but I would suggest that you do a little work on your boxes before the next contest.

Ah...nevermind you are going to ask for help...I will reserve my suggestions for that thread...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Competition BBQ All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: