FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 


Eating Brisket
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
walters
BBQ Fan


Joined: 06 Nov 2005
Posts: 111
Location: Sacramento CA

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07 06 11:41 pm    Post subject: Eating Brisket Reply with quote

Hey Guys-

Sorry if I sound ignorant... but I am. Out here in California, brisket is not at popular as other parts of the country. So it's not my fault that I don't know how to eat brisket. Wink

Do most of you eat it by itself? Or do you makes sandwiches out of it? Or do you do something entirely different?

Can someone please teach me to eat??? Embarassed

Thanks,

Robb
_________________
Robb Walters
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Hoochie-Que
BBQ Fan


Joined: 27 Sep 2006
Posts: 371
Location: Park City, UT

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08 06 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, Robb...

As a Texan, I like to slice it (against the grain) or chop it... Can/will eat it alone - or on a bun - or beween 2 slices of "white bread" - or just with 1-2 slices of "white bread" so we can "mop up" the juices and/or sauce... Some like it with a little sauce (more East and North Central Texas), and some don't (more Hill Country and South Texas)...

Have never "pulled" my brisket...

Hope this helps a little... Cool
_________________
Dr. Mike
Hoochie-Que BBQ Team / KCBS CBJ

"Jesus Loved Barbeque, Too" - Kinky Friedman
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
DawgPhan
BBQ Super Pro


Joined: 12 May 2005
Posts: 3444

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08 06 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

about the only way that i have ever eaten any significant amount of brisket was on nachos or in stew...I always try a piece when it is cooked, but never really eat any and dont even really know what kind of sauce should go on one...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
adolpho
BBQ Super Pro


Joined: 03 Aug 2005
Posts: 1067
Location: Austin, TX

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08 06 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the flat sliced up and put 2 pieces into one slice of bread for half sandwiches. I take the point and chop it up for chopped beef on a bun. Finally, I save the fatty pieces for my beans.
_________________
"Tag line? We don't need no stinkin' tag line!"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
krimson_cardnal
Newbie


Joined: 31 Aug 2006
Posts: 41
Location: Up State New York

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08 06 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just made a dynamite tomato meat sauce using chopped brisket!

Saute onions and garlic, salt, pepper, sage. When all soft add chopped brisket, a can of plimb tomatoes, a can of chopped tomatoes, tomato paste, a bit of chiante and simmer it for an hour or so, doin't over do it.

Go heavy on the brisket serve over penne with fresh grated parm and watch out. Keep the chiante flowing - ain't Texas anymore, we're talking NorthItaly!

K_C
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bedlam BBQ
BBQ Super Pro


Joined: 31 Aug 2006
Posts: 1610
Location: Broken Arrow, OK

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08 06 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't beat some chopped brisket with just a slight dab of some sweet BBQ sauce (I don't drown the meat in the sauce, but I like the little sweetness added). Then fry up some potatoes and serve with just the chopped brisket (not mixed together though).

Nothing like smoked meat and fried potatoes.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
skybob
BBQ Super Pro


Joined: 10 Apr 2006
Posts: 1533
Location: Wichita, KS

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08 06 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree whole heartedly with Adolpho. Sliced on bread, chopped on buns and save some back for beans, and also good in chili. Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Saucehog
Newbie


Joined: 22 Oct 2006
Posts: 65
Location: Baton Rouge, LA

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08 06 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For day 1 of a cooked brisket, I like it sliced with a little sauce on the side.

On day 2 I like to make what I call Bar-B-Ritos. Thinly sliced brisket, onions, mojos (fried cubed fries), and a hot BBQ sauce (buck creek habanero es muy bueno) This all wrapped in a burrito tortilla.

On day 3 I like to make a classic BBQ sandwhich.
_________________
Will
WSM
Big Green Egg
The Good One - Burns KS
Backwoods - Party
Team: Bushwood Country club
www.Saucehog.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Hoochie-Que
BBQ Fan


Joined: 27 Sep 2006
Posts: 371
Location: Park City, UT

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08 06 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saucehog wrote:
For day 1 of a cooked brisket, I like it sliced with a little sauce on the side.

On day 2 I like to make what I call Bar-B-Ritos. Thinly sliced brisket, onions, mojos (fried cubed fries), and a hot BBQ sauce (buck creek habanero es muy bueno) This all wrapped in a burrito tortilla.

On day 3 I like to make a classic BBQ sandwhich.


Hey, Saucedog...

You STILL have brisket by Day 3???...

Man, give me a call on Day 1 or 2, and we will take care of that small "problem" for you... Cool
_________________
Dr. Mike
Hoochie-Que BBQ Team / KCBS CBJ

"Jesus Loved Barbeque, Too" - Kinky Friedman
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Michael B
BBQ Pro


Joined: 31 Aug 2006
Posts: 789
Location: Amherst, New Hampshire

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08 06 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sliced and served on a plate with a couple sides.
Sliced in sandwiches.
Chopped for tacos or burritos.
Chopped in hash and dirty rice.
_________________
Michael B.
I have not yet begun to procrastinate!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SmokinOkie
BBQ Super Pro


Joined: 16 Aug 2005
Posts: 2078

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09 06 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best way, sliced, all alone, no sauce so you can taste all the good work.

2nd, on a good burger bun, sliced

3rd, chopped on a bun

4th, For me, when I'm slicing brisket, I collect all the "scraps" and keep them stored together and use that also on baked potatoes. Another good use, and personally my favorite is to take a huge baked potato, pile it high with chopped brisket and the decide if you want butter or bbq sauce or onions or cheese, or jalapenos, or whatever.

About the Rito. Well, great Idea on the Rito, but a chain around here has been doing one of those for years. Rib Crib even TradeMarked Bar-B-Rito they thought it such a good idea. Too bad you didn't do it first, they they could pay you.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
allsmokenofire
BBQ All Star


Joined: 26 Apr 2005
Posts: 5051
Location: Oklahoma

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09 06 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SmokinOkie wrote:
About the Rito. Well, great Idea on the Rito, but a chain around here has been doing one of those for years. Rib Crib even TradeMarked Bar-B-Rito they thought it such a good idea. Too bad you didn't do it first, they they could pay you.


Ohhhhh.....so that's brisket they put in those things at Rib Crib? I'd have never recognized it.
_________________
Mike
Team Enoserv
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bedlam BBQ
BBQ Super Pro


Joined: 31 Aug 2006
Posts: 1610
Location: Broken Arrow, OK

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09 06 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

allsmokenofire wrote:
SmokinOkie wrote:
About the Rito. Well, great Idea on the Rito, but a chain around here has been doing one of those for years. Rib Crib even TradeMarked Bar-B-Rito they thought it such a good idea. Too bad you didn't do it first, they they could pay you.


Ohhhhh.....so that's brisket they put in those things at Rib Crib? I'd have never recognized it.


The mystery meat has been identified.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mding38926
BBQ Super Pro


Joined: 24 Jun 2005
Posts: 2244
Location: Lake Ridge, VA

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09 06 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree with smokinokie.....#1....sliced with no sauce..............2nd would be chopped or sliced on a bun with some tangy sauce.
_________________
Dinger
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
skybob
BBQ Super Pro


Joined: 10 Apr 2006
Posts: 1533
Location: Wichita, KS

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09 06 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually if there's leftovers after the 1st day, they get vacuum sealed in 1# bags and tossed in the freezer. Great treat on a cold winter day. Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
PatioDaddio
BBQ Fan


Joined: 14 Oct 2006
Posts: 181
Location: Boise, Idaho

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09 06 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thinly sliced brisket, scrambled eggs, pepper jack cheese and some salsa wrapped in a flour tortilla and grilled makes a killer breakfast burrito. I sprinkle mine liberally with Chipolte Tabasco.

John
_________________
If you love it, you gotta rub it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mding38926
BBQ Super Pro


Joined: 24 Jun 2005
Posts: 2244
Location: Lake Ridge, VA

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09 06 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PatioDaddio wrote:
Thinly sliced brisket, scrambled eggs, pepper jack cheese and some salsa wrapped in a flour tortilla and grilled makes a killer breakfast burrito. I sprinkle mine liberally with Chipolte Tabasco.

John


Dude...that sounds amazing!
_________________
Dinger
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
allsmokenofire
BBQ All Star


Joined: 26 Apr 2005
Posts: 5051
Location: Oklahoma

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09 06 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SStory wrote:
allsmokenofire wrote:
SmokinOkie wrote:
About the Rito. Well, great Idea on the Rito, but a chain around here has been doing one of those for years. Rib Crib even TradeMarked Bar-B-Rito they thought it such a good idea. Too bad you didn't do it first, they they could pay you.


Ohhhhh.....so that's brisket they put in those things at Rib Crib? I'd have never recognized it.


The mystery meat has been identified.


I'm not sure what their secret is to get it so dry, yet so bland at the same time. Laughing
_________________
Mike
Team Enoserv
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Hoochie-Que
BBQ Fan


Joined: 27 Sep 2006
Posts: 371
Location: Park City, UT

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09 06 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

allsmokenofire wrote:

I'm not sure what their secret is to get it so dry, yet so bland at the same time. Laughing


I consult with them on helping get it that way, Mike... Yeppers, my very own special secret recipe... They got my name from the judges at my last comp... Shocked
_________________
Dr. Mike
Hoochie-Que BBQ Team / KCBS CBJ

"Jesus Loved Barbeque, Too" - Kinky Friedman
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
allsmokenofire
BBQ All Star


Joined: 26 Apr 2005
Posts: 5051
Location: Oklahoma

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09 06 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hoochie-Que wrote:
allsmokenofire wrote:

I'm not sure what their secret is to get it so dry, yet so bland at the same time. Laughing


I consult with them on helping get it that way, Mike... Yeppers, my very own special secret recipe... They got my name from the judges at my last comp... Shocked


Hmmmmm...secret recipe, huh? Lemme guess, overcooked in an electric "smoker" with no wood, left to sit in a dry steam pan, uncovered, for 6 hrs. and then reheated in a dirty microwave? Embarassed

I'm gonna bet yours ain't even close. Wink
_________________
Mike
Team Enoserv
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group