FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Salmon again
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cured Meat Recipes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Oregon smoker
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18 11 1:13 am    Post subject: Salmon again Reply with quote

I am doing another hunk of salmon that is larger than the first one i did and would like to know the cure and salt ratios per pound. I havent weighed this chunk.
Thanks!
#3 LIAR
troutnut787

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18 11 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do about 20 lbs of smoked salmon every salmon season with many compliments. Here is what I have always done. Make sure to rinse the brine well and I put a fan on it after I rinse the brine off to get that nice tacky layer on top.

http://www.3men.com/threemen1.htm
Oregon smoker
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18 11 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

troutnut787 wrote:
I do about 20 lbs of smoked salmon every salmon season with many compliments. Here is what I have always done. Make sure to rinse the brine well and I put a fan on it after I rinse the brine off to get that nice tacky layer on top.

http://www.3men.com/threemen1.htm

While appreciate that its not what i am looking for this is going to get dry cured and cold smoked. The closet measurement is a TS per 5lbs of meat. The hunk is around 3.5lbs i think. I havent weighed it yet and wanted the info before i did.
#3 LIAR
SimonSmokes
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18 11 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i personnaly just mix 1/2 sugar 1/2 salt, enough of the mix to cover my fish, and leave 24h per inch of tickness as a guide. i then go by look/feel to know when it had enough, rinse, dry under a fan for pellicle and cold smoke with apple or maple.

will sometime add lemon zest and juice to the salt/sugar mixture, and often put a coat of black peper after rinsing.
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18 11 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is one of those perfect situations for using Tender Quick
3.5 pounds of fish would have me using 3.5tsp of TQ, and sticking with the standard cure penetration schedule of 1/4" per each 24 hours.
I would just sprinkle on the meat side, and have the fish on a grate or a tilted board for the spooge to drain away.
I would also add about 1 tsp of brown sugar per each pound too, and maybe some cracked blk pepper and maybe even a little dill seed that has been toasted.

If you do not have TQ available, I would consider a brine just so the cure ratio is correct.
Oregon smoker
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18 11 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After realizing that i was not going to get an answer that would provide the needed information i got out my scale and weighed several Ts's of the #1.
Once i was satisfied with the weight results i did my math and built the recipe from there according to the Salmon weight.
Yes i have TQ but i have used the chit out of it and i am learning how to use the #1 at the moment.
#3 LIAR
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18 11 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oregon smoker wrote:
After realizing that i was not going to get an answer that would provide the needed information i got out my scale and weighed several Ts's of the #1.
Once i was satisfied with the weight results i did my math and built the recipe from there according to the Salmon weight.
Yes i have TQ but i have used the chit out of it and i am learning how to use the #1 at the moment.

Since I did not expect you, or too many other people would have scales that can measure in 1/10th of a gram increments, that is why i suggested either using TQ, or doing a brine where the cure measurement is not as minute or critical.
What was the math that you came up with? How many grams per each pound did you figure is proper.
Your results should be stickied in case others have weights of less than 5 pounds to deal with too.
Oregon smoker
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18 11 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry Nutczak wrote:
Oregon smoker wrote:

Since I did not expect you, or too many other people would have scales that can measure in 1/10th of a gram increments, that is why i suggested either using TQ, or doing a brine where the cure measurement is not as minute or critical.
What was the math that you came up with? How many grams per each pound did you figure is proper.
Your results should be stickied in case others have weights of less than 5 pounds to deal with too.

To answer your question and in the interest of safety i found that a Ts weighed out to 6 gs. I divided that by 5 and came up with 1.2 gs/lb. The chunk i had needed a little trimming and ended up at 2.145lbs/oz. I went on the safe side with the cure and rounded to 3lbs and went light on the salt. The last chunk was heavy on the salt flavor but was well rounded in flavor wise.
Looking at the amount of #1 gram wise is astonishing but the thought of the amount bacteria that can multiply when not cured properly made me shudder.

As a side note the trimmings got a quick 60 minute cure and then rinsed. Through them on after i pulled the Canadian bacon off and let them soak up the residual heat and some smoke from maple chips i threw in. The wife is still alive and says the salmon is good.

And the fish came from a fellow brother here on the ring and was top notch fresh.
#3 LIAR
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18 11 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1.2 grams per pound, cool thanks. I am writing that down in my notes for future reference.

a dollar bill weighs exactly one gram, so that could be used as a check-weight for a scale if needed.
Jarhead
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18 11 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry Nutczak wrote:
1.2 grams per pound, cool thanks. I am writing that down in my notes for future reference.

a dollar bill weighs exactly one gram, so that could be used as a check-weight for a scale if needed.

Thanks for the weights.
Hey Harry if a $1 bill weighs 1 gm. How much does a $5 bill weigh? Laughing
I got too much time on my hands, time to get back to work. Evil or Very Mad

Jarhead's World Blog
KCBS CBJ & HMFIC Debbie's Q Shack
Hell Fire Grill
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19 11 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much sugar are you using per lb. of fish?

What are you using, equipment wise, to smoke the fish? UDS?
Oregon smoker
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19 11 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hell Fire Grill wrote:
How much sugar are you using per lb. of fish?

What are you using, equipment wise, to smoke the fish? UDS?

I put 3oz of sugar and salt.
I am just cold smoking the salmon my Weber kettle. Couple of briq's and a chip or 3 of some apple every 30 minutes for a few hours and i call it a day.
#3 LIAR
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19 11 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please let us know how it turned out, You got me hankering for some smoked fish now darn it!
Oregon smoker
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19 11 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry Nutczak wrote:
Please let us know how it turned out, You got me hankering for some smoked fish now darn it!

For sure.
I got a picture somewhere of the last piece i did and i will see if i can dig it up to wet your appetite. Wink
#3 LIAR
Oregon smoker
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19 11 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was the stuff i did last time following the recipe from the Charcutirie book. I like the hot smoked salmon stuff that ends to be heavily smoked with a really firm texture but i am chasing the cured and lightly smoked stuff. If anything the best part is eating all of it.
#3 LIAR
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19 11 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The picture looks good, what temp was that smoked at?

With the translucent appearance it looks like it got cold smoke instead of being cooked.

I remember seeing smokehouses with the fire being at least 20 feet away, and the smoke traveling underground in a covered trench to cool it before making it into the smokehouse.

You could do something on the cheap with some 2x4's plywood, and a few oven racks if you want a good cold smoker.

Check out this style here http://www.wedlinydomowe.com/smokehouse-plans/smokehouse-old

If I did one, it would need to be made of blocks or bricks to keep the bears from tearing it up. But if you do not have bears to worry about, plywood is fine.
Oregon smoker
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20 11 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry Nutczak wrote:
The picture looks good, what temp was that smoked at?

With the translucent appearance it looks like it got cold smoke instead of being cooked.

I remember seeing smokehouses with the fire being at least 20 feet away, and the smoke traveling underground in a covered trench to cool it before making it into the smokehouse.

You could do something on the cheap with some 2x4's plywood, and a few oven racks if you want a good cold smoker.

Check out this style here http://www.wedlinydomowe.com/smokehouse-plans/smokehouse-old

If I did one, it would need to be made of blocks or bricks to keep the bears from tearing it up. But if you do not have bears to worry about, plywood is fine.

Yes it was cold smoked and that is my plan this time also. I cant get enough of the stuff with some cream cheese, capers, and thinly sliced onions. I prefer a bagel but a slice of toast works as well.
#3 LIAR
Hell Fire Grill
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21 11 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like your gonna need to get some more salmon now. Get ahold of your fish monger I heard he has a couple more fillets or 50.

Ever tryed cold smoking canned salmon? Its getting a little late in the season for that though.
Oregon smoker
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21 11 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hell Fire Grill wrote:
Looks like your gonna need to get some more salmon now. Get ahold of your fish monger I heard he has a couple more fillets or 50.

Ever tryed cold smoking canned salmon? Its getting a little late in the season for that though.

Havent tried cold smoking canned salmon.
You are pretty stocked up on fish arent you? Shocked

I have the chunk out in the kettle getting its smoke on....How fitting for 4/20... Shocked Laughing
#3 LIAR
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21 11 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oregon smoker wrote:

I have the chunk out in the kettle getting its smoke on....How fitting for 4/20... Shocked Laughing

The anniversary of the Columbine massacre, or that it is Hitlers birthday?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cured Meat Recipes All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: