FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Found a crack in my Lang

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mainely Smoka
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue May 08 12 9:35 pm    Post subject: Found a crack in my Lang Reply with quote

This past weekend I Q'ed up some grubb and the cook extended into the evening. I stoked up the fire so I could do a steam clean and when I went to spray her down I noticed a small ( about 2 in long and 1/4 wide) crack inside the pit just above the reverse plate and right over the center of the firebox. I am thinking( which always gets me trouble) I should weld that thing up to keep the soot and flames out of the chamber. Would you agree with that thought?

How much would you attribute the very fine black residue ( I call it soot) that seems to settle on the food. I would think that most of it is from my fire not burning correctly but with that crack I am wondering how much is coming in from there.

Thanks
MS
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Wed May 09 12 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mainely Smoka, I would weld it up.

Hybrid Cooker
Mainely Smoka
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed May 09 12 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

k.a.m. wrote:
Mainely Smoka, I would weld it up.

Thanks K.A.M I was thinking it was the right thing to do
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 09 12 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Found a crack in my Lang Reply with quote

Mainely Smoka wrote:
How much would you attribute the very fine black residue ( I call it soot) that seems to settle on the food. I would think that most of it is from my fire not burning correctly but with that crack I am wondering how much is coming in from there.

Thanks
MS

I would attribute the sooting to not burning a clean hot fire, it may be down to the hole... but I have my doubts.

Learn to control your coal bed, and preheat your splits either on top of the fire box, or on the side away from the fire, add just enough wood or charcoal to keep the fire burning hot, and to have almost no smoke coming out the exhaust, if you can have just heat shimmer when burning wood, and the wood ignites as soon as it is on the fire, you have the right sort of fire.

If you put splits on top of the coals, make sure the cut side is down, not the bark, as the bark will make more soot not less as it first ignites.

I still work here!
Mainely Smoka
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed May 09 12 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soezzy-

Thanks, The fire maintenance is definetly something I need to get a handle on. I have been using a old char broil ofsett for years and burned mostly lump, chips and blocks. This is a new animal for sure. I think I need to establish a good bed of coals before cooking and let the wood season a bit longer.

I am burning apple, maple, oak that has been down just under a year. I was able to get my hands on about 3/4 cord of apple which I have cut, spilt, stacked and covered and will hold off till next year to burn.

I will try the warming of the wood on the firebox prior to burning sounds like it will help alott

Thanks again
MS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: