FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Brinkmann SnP Pro Mod/Restore Project-Update 5/13/2010

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PhilipWicker
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13 10 11:32 pm    Post subject: Brinkmann SnP Pro Mod/Restore Project-Update 5/13/2010 Reply with quote

Updates Below:

I recently started working on my brinkmann smoke n pit. Around the time that I started, I was not a member here, but had seen the famous Brinkmann SNP mod post that Alien BBQ did years back that got about 9 million hits.

http://tinyurl.com/y2bgboe

I joined not long after that and discovered that not only did that post offer big help and ideas, but there was an entire community that offered information on everything else my mind could fathom for future smoker projects.

The story:

I salvaged an old SNP from a friend about 2 years ago. The legs were rotting off, it was full of wet soupy ash, the grates were rusting through and sagging severely, and the entire body of the cooker was all rust. I immediately removed the legs and any other attachable component (thermometer, shelf, bolts, etc) as everything was was weathered and rusting off, except for the firebox, and cooking chamber. Once I had the whole unit stripped down, I used an angle grinder with a wire brush head and took care of all of the rust. I gave it a quick spray down with high heat rustoleum spray paint to give it a good protective layer from any future rust. After that it sat for about a one and half years..mainly because I am not a fabricator, and because I don't have shop that is equipped with many fabrication tools. About 2 weeks ago, I decided to get moving on getting the unit up and running.

The mods with photos (sorry for low quality-Low light+iphone=bad pictures):

-My first goal was to give it some sort of legs. I built a temporary stand out of 2x4's. I plan to use it for the time being. In the coming week and I will be attaching sheet metal to certain areas of the wooden stand that will protect the wood from burning..but I am not too worried about it right now since everything that i will be doing on this cooker will be at relatively lower heats:

If anyone has any advice on how to go about making a stand out of steel for someone in my position, let me know.

-The next step is where I started with the mods that AlienBBQ did. An extension for the smoke stack inside the chamber, and a baffle to direct heat below a set of tuning plates. This will theoretically level the heat levels equally across the entire cooking chamber versus having a 50- 70 degree difference where the firebox opening is to the opposing end of the cooking chamber:

Inside the firebox looking through the opening into the cooking chamber:

-Once my baffle was in place, I needed to create a shelf over the baffle to further reduce high heat by the opening. AlienBBQ does this same mod, so I decided that it would best to do so as well. To me, it is basically creating a double-wall barrier to help with the temperatures. This mod was a little tough for me because of my lack of fab skills, but AlienBBQ suggested creating cardboard templates, which helped get my dimensions for the shelf nearly perfect:

4/16/2010
-----------------

I was able to get my expanded metal grates succesfully installed. I had one minor obstacle with the grate in the cooking chamber. There didn't seem to be as much support on the grate surface, so it was very bouncy and I could see it down the road having a major sagging issue. I fixed that issue by running three thread rods across the chamber to provide support for the expanded metal. I plan to use two thread rods in the cooking chamber as well.

Keep any comments and/or suggestions coming. I've gathered a few ideas for a stand, which may help. Also, if anyone here lives in the Mooresville NC area that would like to lend a hand with welding a stand down the road, I am interested.

_________

5/09/2010 Update:

I had to set aside the project for a couple of weeks to finish up with my final college semester..now I am back at it. A few weeks back I did a test burn in the SnP pro to see how well it performed. All went well but as for the temporary wood stand, well, lets just say it got a little chard up. I wasn't sure what I was going to do about legs until my brother said I could have about 20 feet of black iron. I got a hold of his pipe threader, bought some various fittings, and I made some legs. I haven't attached them yet because lowes doesn't carry as much 1 1/4" fittings as they used to so I am headed to a real supply house tomorrow to get some elbows to finish it out. Below is the picture of the legs that I threw together. I will get some photos of the legs attached when I get them on later this week.

5/13/2010

I have successfully attached legs made from black iron onto the the smoker. Keep in mind that I do not own a welder, so I had to be clever on creating some sort of legs. I mounted the legs using a cast iron bushing. I drilled 4 1 3/4" holes, ran the bushing through to where the flanged end would be on the inside of the cooking chamber. On the outside, at that point, I had the exposed threaded end of the bushing. That is where I attached the 45 degree elbow that you see in the photos. I will be getting the tuning plates and baffle back in this weekend and might try to get a small scale test cook underway.

photos of the legs:

Last edited by PhilipWicker on Fri May 14 10 11:02 am; edited 5 times in total
Alien BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14 10 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had 13 gauge stainless over pressure treated lumber with a 3 inch air gap..... the wood burns quite readily, Shocked Shocked Shocked
ryan cassidy
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14 10 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I would definitely consider a different option with the wood stand. Even if it makes it through an entire smoke, it won't after 2 or 3 as it will get very very dry and start charing.

Everything else looks great! Keep the pictures coming.

Ryan
PhilipWicker
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14 10 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, as far as the wood stand is concerned, it is sturdy and will work for a few rounds, but I am going to have start coming up with plan for a permanent fixture.

Having no fab background, what kind of options does one have when they don't have easy access to a welder? Maybe some sort of stand design that you could bolt together possibly. Otherwise, I may take the wood stand that I have now and take it to a shop and tell them to make something out of steel that is loosely based around the size and dimensions of what I put together.
ryan cassidy
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14 10 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could get a couple pieces cut for you by your local steel shop supply and then bolt them together. To make them really sturdy, get a couple pieces of plate cut in a triangle so you can gusset each corner. Might be overkill, but it would definitely be sturdy.

Check out this thread... He is building a smoker with no welding...

http://thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=35740
PhilipWicker
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14 10 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ryan,

I was just looking at that post...seeing what he is doing with the stand with no welding has given me some ideas on how I can approach my stand.

Sheepish, I thought that my obsessive BBQ build binge was going to have a rest once I got passed getting the firebox and cooking chamber finished. Now I get to obsess over putting together the stand. This building business is addictive.
Teleking
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14 10 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PhilipWicker wrote:
Maybe some sort of stand design that you could bolt together possibly.

Got an old weight bench collecting dust???

http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14575&highlight=bride

“The Bride of Franken Smoker”
PhilipWicker
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16 10 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've posted some updates to the mod project on the original post.
PhilipWicker
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17 10 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had posted this question on another post, but I figured I could post it here also. I've used 22 gauge steel for the baffle and shelf, however, I read that for the tuning plates that you should use at least 13. Since I am a greenhorn at building, and modding, I didn't find this out until after I purchased my steel sheets. Does anyone think that using 22 gauge will have a bad effect on my cooking temperatures considering the size and design of the brinkmann snp pro? Or is it an absolute must to use thicker steel for my tuning plates?
Alien BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17 10 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, you just won't have as much heat retention as a thicker plate and maybe a possible warp. In a smoker this small the problems are not as catastrophic.
PhilipWicker
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon May 10 10 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've posted updates, see original post for edits.
PhilipWicker
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri May 14 10 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've updated the original post with some photos of the legs that I built.
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Fri May 14 10 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Philip, I love what you have done right there for legs. Very Happy That looks awesome, fantastic looking setup. I will be watching for some more updates. Very Happy

Hybrid Cooker
littlejoenc

PostPosted: Thu May 10 12 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I just found this smoker on GL For $200.00

http://hickory.craigslist.org/hsh/3005927336.html
lueyh

PostPosted: Thu May 10 12 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm posting here to dad this thread tomorrow.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: