FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Time to get started on my first R/F smoker updated 5/9/12
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beer Can BBQ
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu May 26 11 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you K.A.M. here is the picture of the trailer i am using it is a trailer frame from a old camper. The problems i am seeing are the cross support are angle that is 1 1/2 on the top and 6 down i am able to move the bottom of it about 5 inches back and forth with just my hand it is about maybe 1/16 thick. The pipe i picked up is 1/8 wall. The space between the frame rails is 59 1/2 were this will be used just to support the flooring will it work? I am planning on having the smoker bolted to the frame of the trailer and run a 4x4 tubling between the frame under the fire box to support that. Then run a pice of 5 inch pipe for the support under the tank. Thanks for all of your help.

Beer Can BBQ
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02 11 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well have still been trying to get a little work done when I have the time, Have been working on the trailer making some progress. Still have the last three sheets of expanded to weld on before i start getting ready to mount the smoker.

TrailerBuilder
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02 11 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beer Can BBQ, not sure how I missed your thread before but glad I got into it now. Your build is looking great! Your going to have one nice sized rig when you get this thing done. Look forward to more pics and updates.
thekl0wn

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03 11 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How big is that trailer? And is it a gooseneck? If so, that's AWESOME!
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03 11 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beer Can BBQ, your trailer is coming along nicely. Very Happy When you see all the expanded metal down you realize how long she is that is awesome. I will be watching for more pics and updates. Very Happy

Hybrid Cooker
Beer Can BBQ
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04 11 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrailerBuilder, Thank you I am trying to make steady progress on it so that I can use it this summer for some comps.

Thank you, TheKlOwn, Yes it is a gooseneck the trailer is around 30 long and about 7 1/2 wide it seems huge at this point but I think it will shrink when I start adding stuff to it the smoker is 11 long and 4 wide so that takes up some space right there, then I am planning on having a grill two burners prep area that will have two counters that are 2x6 with a sink between them at the front of the trailer, and cabinet space under them on one side and a wood rack on the other side.

Thank you K.A.M., Im planning on finishing welding the rest of it down today after work and do some trimming of the edges then start trying to figure out how the best way to mount the smoker will be. I have been told not to weld it to the trailer but to bolt it with some kind of mount to absorb some of the vibration from driving down the road. Still trying to decide how to do that Im thinking about using springs from a car, but I guess I will have to see.
Beer Can BBQ
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17 11 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well did a little work worth taking some pics of. This is the first test fit of the smoker to the trailer. It is not setting down all of the way yet still need to get the mounts built and the springs all attached will be working on that in the morning.

TrailerBuilder
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17 11 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That thing is going to be a beast! Nice set up for sure!!
Beer Can BBQ
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29 11 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting close, have the racks to finish then and the handles to put on and a top for the smoke stacks and I will do a test burn to season it and then paint and then cook.

k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29 11 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beer Can BBQ, she looks fantastic sitting on the trailer. Very Happy What did you use for counter weights I like the curve. Very Happy I look forward to seeing some painted and cook pics. Very nice work. Very Happy

Hybrid Cooker
Beer Can BBQ
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01 11 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you K.A.M. I am making progress but still working on the counter weights the pipe I used was curved for cattle tubs I still need to get the weights made I am using small 5L beer kegs with concrete but I finishd the racks today.

Beer Can BBQ
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07 11 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i finished one of the counter weights yesturday i still have to drill the holes were they will be removeable when not cooking. It is a mini keg from Heinken filled with concrete.

TrailerBuilder
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09 11 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love it! The counterweight looks awesome! It gives it character for sure.
Beer Can BBQ
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11 11 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Trailerbuilder I am trying to stay with my team name and keep with as much beer on the smoker as i can. I am going to try and get in to the wood shop today after work and get the wood laythed down for my handles. I plan to work a 4x4 down to were it will fit inside a beer can that i plan to cut off at the sholder and butt up two with a pice of all thred ran through them for the handles. Here is what they will look like when i am done.

Here is a pic with both doors open and the racks part way out.

Beer Can BBQ
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21 11 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well my smoker is not completely finished but it is close and I deiced to cook on it for a local cook off, it is a small town. The cook off is not a overnight check in at 9am turn in starting at 4pm it limits what you can cook but had to try the new smoker out any way have put a lot of time in building it and working on it but it did great. Held temp right around 250 all day plenty of room. Only about 7 teams small town.
Here is a pic of my smoker.

First categories was beef, I cooked a flat iron. First place

Second were pork ribs.

Third was chicken

Forth was other meat I did Moink Balls, first place

Fifth was side dish did twice baked potatoes third place.

Sixth was Dessert did apple cobbler stuffed apples in the Dutch oven.

I also cooked some beef ribs just for a snack first time I have ever cooked them but they turned out great, I also cooked a brisket for lunch and dinner for a week on the road sorry no finished pictures of the brisket was too hot to worry about getting pictures after being in the heat all day over 100 degrees.

Did get first over all for the cook off.
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21 11 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beer Can BBQ, congrats on your comp. that is really nice for your first time out on the cooker. Very Happy Everything looks delicious. Nicely done my man. Very Happy

Hybrid Cooker
Beer Can BBQ
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22 11 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you K.A.M. it has been a long time comming it is still not finished but at least it is to the point that i can enjoy it. I would have never been able to get to this point with out the help and complemts that i have receved on here. I was planning on having it painted and ready for the Dodge City Days cookoff end of the month but they decied to send me out of town for work and i am working in Dumas, TX this week and Arkansas, KS next week so i will not be able to get anything done on it so no cookoff for me.
TrailerBuilder
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24 11 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beer Can BBQ, looks like she is putting out some nice food! Congrats on the comp. Ill be watching for more progress!
icecoldkicks
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25 11 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great work Beer Can BBQ, food looks Gr8! and the cooker has a nice home on a big azz trailer! and u can send me some of those Moink Balls over night to seattle, i'll still eat um!! Laughing besides, whats a Moink Ball??

Slow & Low, That is the Tempo!!
Beer Can BBQ
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26 11 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Trailer Builder it is working great I just wish I would have had it completed for the cook-off, Paint and all would have made it look a lot nicer.

Thanks, Ice Cold Kicks, ya the trailer is big but when I get all of the stuff on it I am planning I will fill up quick. As for the Moink Balls I had seen them on the ring several times and never had time to do them so I thought I would give them a try and they turned out great. Here is how I made them.

2# 83/27 ground Beef mixed with one pack of Italian sausage brought worst removed from casing. Seasoned with some BBQ rub that I use on my ribs and a few grinds of roasted garlic sea salt, stuffed with pepper jack Cheese cubes and wrapped in bacon and smoked for 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Depending on how you like your bacon.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: