FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Time to get started on my first R/F smoker updated 5/9/12
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beer Can BBQ
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04 11 10:32 am    Post subject: Time to get started on my first R/F smoker updated 5/9/12 Reply with quote

Ok well here I go. It is time to stop talking about it and start doing it i have been planing on building this for two years. I have a week off of work and plan on using the whole time working on my smoker. But I have a few questions that I need some help on. I will address them as they come along but first project will be welding the firebox.
The question that I have is what is the best way for the door to be built? I am thinking of having the door on one end and being able to open the whole side, should I use a single door or make it a double door?
The size of the firebox is 32�x32�x48�. It is a little larger than I need but was easer to have it sheared this way. The sides are all 3/8� steel plate and the ends are 1/4� plate. I am thinking about having angle around the door so that it will not warp with the heat is this the best?

I have also seen a build that had the door on the side of the box to where they had a larger opening for ease of loading; it was hinged in the top of the box and down the other side. But I am also trying to think about how will be the best way to seal the door?

What is the best way to make the air intake vents for the firebox I have seen the basic design of the slide vent? What is the best way to construct this?

What is the best hinges to use on the door the barrel hinges? Or is there a better way to do this?

I am sure that some of the more experienced builders will have some ideas that will help me out. I will start posting pic as soon as i call it a night. I have three weeks of vacation coming up befor the 4 of July i am planing on using all of this time along with weekends and time after work on my build i am hoping i will be able to have my frist big cook on the 4 of July for coworkers. But want to a few test burns befor and test cooks befor then.

Last edited by Beer Can BBQ on Thu May 10 12 7:26 am; edited 14 times in total
Beer Can BBQ
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05 11 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Started welding my firebox have two sides welded, will be welding one of the ends on tomarrow and placing start welding the tray slides tomarrow.

Hope to get it attached to the tank by the end of the week.

k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05 11 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beer Can BBQ, your off to a Grand start. Very Happy I look forward to seeing some more updates and pics. Very Happy

1)The question that I have is what is the best way for the door to be built? I am thinking of having the door on one end and being able to open the whole side, should I use a single door or make it a double door?
You have two choices that are both doable. #1 being a single door but you do not have to go the full 32" wide. You can build the firebox and then cut the door say 28" wide you would just move in 2" on both sides.
2) you could go double doors like I built on the R/F in my signature, they are nice to handle.

I am thinking about having angle around the door so that it will not warp with the heat is this the best? I do not know if it is better than anything else I used 1.5" x 3/8" flat bar on edge.

I have also seen a build that had the door on the side of the box to where they had a larger opening for ease of loading; it was hinged in the top of the box and down the other side. But I am also trying to think about how will be the best way to seal the door?
You can use flat stove gasket and either rivet or stove bolt it to the facing.

What is the best way to make the air intake vents for the firebox I have seen the basic design of the slide vent? What is the best way to construct this? I use 1" x 1/4" flat bar. You simply weld in your upper and lower rails above and below your holes then place the slide portion of the intake in the channel. Then having two more flat bars the correct length lay one on the bottom rail half the distance to cover a portion of the rail and the slider. Leave yourself about a 32nd gap so she will slide when the firebox warms up. There are pics of these in my build.

What is the best hinges to use on the door the barrel hinges? Or is there a better way to do this? While store bought barrel hinges will afford you little sag you can build your own and compensate when you attach the door. I buit all the hinges in the R/F build with 1/2" SCH seamless pipe and 1/2" hot roll, I changed up on the firebox and warming chamber using 1/4" x 2'' flabar with the pipe and rod.
I hope this helps.
Smile

Hybrid Cooker
Beer Can BBQ
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06 11 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

K.A.M. Thank you for you comments I plan on going with the two door design. I also think I will use the same style of hinges as you did tank you for supplying such great pictures for all of us to use for inspiration.

Well did not get a lot completed today but did get some work done I cleaned up some of my wealds and attached one of the ends. I went to the place were I get my steal and was able to make a great find, a steel grate that was built and never used it is framed with 1 flat iron and 3/8 round stock spaced about 3/4 apart it was 46 by 30 so it is the perfect size for my firebox I am going to use some angle with some angle or flat to cap the top of the slides. I will be installing that tomorrow and making a template for the opening in to the tank. Then I will start building the doors for the fire box, I plan on building a two door design
Beer Can BBQ
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07 11 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well had a some what productive day, made the brackets for the for the fire grate to sit and slide on. Cut the side out of the fire box to attach to the smoke chamber. Picked up more steel to build the air vents, and build the frames for the doors, and the hinges. Tomorrow I plan on building the air vents and cutting the holes for the vents. Then will get the tank drug into the shop and start getting it fitted to the firebox. I will try and remember the camera tomorrow so that I can get some more pictures of my progress.
Beer Can BBQ
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08 11 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I remembered my camera today got a few pics along the way made the track for the air intake

Trued up all of the pieces of flat bar for the vent covers

All metal in place ready to be tacked in place.

Air intake cut out and slide welded and open

Air vents closed

Side cut out ready to be attached to the tank as soon as it gets back from the sand blaster, said it should be done this weekend.

Firebox grate

Firebox grate in box with air vents open.
Beer Can BBQ
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21 11 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well got the my tank back from the sandblaster cleaned out the inside of the tank for me. Got the doors framed up and mounted to the smoker, put some temperary handels on it so that i can open the doors. Going to try and get it set and tacked up to the firebox tomarrow.

Beer Can BBQ
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22 11 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well test fit the firebox to the tank today.

Here is a 5 gal bucket to you can see the size of the smoker.

k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22 11 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beer Can BBQ, your moving right along and your cooker is looking fantastic. Very Happy You ended up with a very nice fit on your doors Great work. I will be watching for more pics and updates. Very Happy

Hybrid Cooker
Beer Can BBQ
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23 11 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

K.A.M. Thank you for your comments it is coming along slowly but I am making progress. I have not had all of the time that I have wanted to work on it but I work on it when I have time. I hope to get start the reverse flow plate built and set it next week. Is it not a good idea to try and build it outside of the tank then set it in and weld the sides? I still have the end open and am throwing the around the idea of putting a hinge on the end of it to fold down and build a large rack that will slide out so that I can cook a whole hog. I will have to keep working on it if I ever want to get done with it, and be able to enjoy some BBQ off of it.
icecoldkicks
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23 11 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

L@@Kn Good Beer Can BBQ! nice work! Wink

Slow & Low, That is the Tempo!!
Beer Can BBQ
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24 11 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Icecoldkicks, Thank you for your comments you and K.A.M. are experienced builders and it is a great motivation seeing comments.

It is starting to take shape I will try and get some work done on it this week but will miss out on the first few days of the week. One of the ladies that I work with who just moved here from GA, had the shaft on her water pump break so I told her I would fix it for her to save her some money so a few day away from the smoker for me, she is lucky that I am working the same shift and plant with her this next week. I planned on working on the R/F plate this week I am going to build it outside then slide it in the tank and weld it to the sides after it is all build and set in place. I think that I will try and use 3/16 or 1/8 plate just have to see what I can get a hold of for a good price.
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24 11 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beer Can BBQ, building the R/F outside will work fine just check the sides of your tank to make sure your ID. measurements are consistent along the way. I would use no less than 3/16" thick material for the R/F plate. The 1/8" material will most likely warp at the firebox end.

Hybrid Cooker
Beer Can BBQ
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon May 09 11 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

K.A.M. thank you I got the plate built and installed I used 3/16 plate and 3 inch channel to build it out of, but was not thinking and did not cut and attach my drain pipe so I will have to do that later but I have been working on it this last week. I have gotten quite a bit done on it but have not quite finished yet.

Beer Can BBQ
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon May 09 11 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could anyone give me a good idea on how to build the counter balances for the doors? I need to have some tips as to what angle and lengths to make them so that they will work to help open the doors. Thank you for any help and tips that you can give.
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Fri May 13 11 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beer Can BBQ, draw a line about 1/4 into the door from the top.Then prop or tie your doors at just past the break over point. When you have done this you have two choices either use the counter weight as a door stop or not. if you choose to use it as a stop then you can lay out the vertical piece while the door is open, simply get the angle of the pipe, tubing, or angle iron from the reference line on the door to where it rests on the cooking chamber. You can determine what length you want during this process. Then just add the horizontal piece to the verticals once in place, you can play with the weight to get just an assist lift from them. You do not want it to raise the doors or you will be pulling that much weight down. If you choose to have a door stop as well set the sops up then follow the counter weight process. I hope this explains it if not or you have questions feel free to ask. Smile

Hybrid Cooker
Beer Can BBQ
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue May 17 11 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks K.A.M i am going to try and get the smoke stacks attached today after work and start working on the counter ballances. I also need to get the paint ordered today so that when i get ready i will have it on hand to get it painted. It looks like i will be trying to do my first comp with it on the 10 and 11 of June i just hope it will be ready to go. It will be my first KCBS event so i hope i can have a good showing.
Beer Can BBQ
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu May 19 11 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I was able to get a little work done yester day built and attached the smoke stacks and attached the doors. Now just need to work on the counter balances and racks to finish it all up and start getting it ready to cook on.

Beer Can BBQ
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu May 26 11 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I was looking over the trailer I am going to use last night and was not impressed with the crossmembers they seem light weight, it is an old camper frame 2x6 frame rails I am thinking I am going to rebuild it with 3" pipe and cover with expanded. I am trying to decide how far apart I should place the pipes to give the suport on the floor of the trailer, 12 or 16 inches apart? I am going to use 3/4 expanded. Should I weld every point or every other one. If anyone could give me some ideas that would be great thanks.
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Thu May 26 11 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beer Can BBQ, pipe may be what you have but it is not a very good mechanism for horizontal strength. If you choose to go that route I would space them at 16". Every other point should take the rattle out of your expanded metal.

Hybrid Cooker
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: