FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pizza question
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tinovr
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Mar 28 2011    Post subject: Pizza question Reply with quote

We've been doing the homemade pizza thing at home a lot lately.. We've got a couple of pizza stones and a wooden pizza peel.

Problem is getting the pre-baked pie off the peel and onto the heated stone in the oven. We've tried flour and corn meal on the peel, but it always seems to stick and not come off the peel evenly.

Anyone have any tips/tricks?

Thanks.
jess
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mar 28 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try a little meal under the pie before moving...
Hell Fire Grill
BBQ Super Pro

I never had a problem geting pre made crust on/off my peel, although I only ued them once because I make my own dough. I have had problems with super thin and/or wet dough. The wooden peel works fine for cooked pizza but I have better luck with an aluminum one for raw ones. Try rubbing flour into the wood very thouroghly and that will help lubricate it. Build the pizza on the couner top not on the peel. Im sure there are other tips for you that Im not aware of too.
Inner10
BBQ Super Pro

Pre-baked into the oven? That's your problem.
tinovr
BBQ Pro

let me clarify...

"pre-baked" meaning raw dough, before cooking (also homemade dough).. sorry for the confusion. I see how this could be taken as a "boboli" type crust.

we roll out the dough on the floured countertop, then put it on the peel, add toppings, then try to slide it off onto a preheated pizza stone in the oven. Always sticks on the peel... end up having to use a spatula to start it sliding.. then it's all misshapen, toppings fall off to the bottom of the oven, etc.
mbellot
BBQ Super Fan

tinovr wrote:
we roll out the dough on the floured countertop, then put it on the peel

And there is your problem.

As jess said, put some corn meal on the peel before you put the rolled out crust on it.

The longer its going to sit the more you'll need. I typically make four at once (they are small-ish) and call the family to the table as the first is coming off the stone.

Usually it's gone about 2-3 minutes before the next one rolls out of the oven.
killswitch505
BBQ Super Pro

hey man you might want to check out www.breadtopia.com and look at the peel he uses in his videos i cant seem to find it or the name but i haven't looked very hard. it looks way cool and no sticking
tinovr
BBQ Pro

killswitch505 wrote:
hey man you might want to check out www.breadtopia.com and look at the peel he uses in his videos i cant seem to find it or the name but i haven't looked very hard. it looks way cool and no sticking

cool site... gotta forward that to the wife for bread..

that peel uses some sort of parchment paper roll... It's $36+ the paper refills..

Maybe we can roll out the pizza on parchment and put that directly on the stone? or will the stone be too hot?

mbellot, we've tried corn meal on the peel... it's ok, but not working well enough..
Smokin Mike
BBQ Super Pro

tinovr, One method I've seen is to prep the pizza in a pan, cook it for a few minutes, then "deck it"... or in other words slide it off the pan onto the deck, or your pizza stone as in your case. You would obviously have the pizza pan lubed with some cooking spray or olive oil before doing this.
mbellot
BBQ Super Fan

tinovr wrote:
mbellot, we've tried corn meal on the peel... it's ok, but not working well enough..

You need more corn meal then.

I usually give mine a test shake a couple times during the build process...

Once just after the dough goes on the peel, again after it's fully topped and once more before putting them in the oven (since I build them all ahead of time), and if I get any sticking I'll use a spatula to lift up the crust and toss a bit more underneath.

I've never tried parchment paper with pizza, but it does work well for free-form bread and rolls. I usually cook ~ 75% on the paper and then slide it out for the last 25% so the bottom crust can crisp up directly on the stone.
tinovr
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Mar 29 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

After taking another look at the "super peel".. thing looks pretty good.. and it's not parchement, but pastry cloth, so it's not disposable..

I'm fairly handy and could probably make one myself.. either that.. a great Mother's day present for the wife... Smile
12TH AV SMOKERS
BBQ Pro

I made pizzas for years in a couple small restaurant/carry outs and we had both wooden and aluminum peels. Aluminum do slide a little better but they'll stick too. Is your dough sticky? It shouldn't be.
I prefered to use corn meal on the peel but flour will work.
Just not as well IMHO and be sure it's all over the peel. Limit the time the crust sits on the peel while "building" the pie. Also while you are building it you need to grab the peel and move it back n forth & side to side a bit to be sure the crust isn't starting to stick.
Is your peel nice and smooth? If not use some very fine sandpaper and smooth it down. Some are kinda rough when their new and they'll stay that way if they don't get used allot.
(1) UDS - Ugly Drum smoker
SMS - Vertical - wood / gasser

http://www.youngbergindustries.com/

Last edited by 12TH AV SMOKERS on Mar 29 2011; edited 1 time in total
tinovr
BBQ Pro

I would say the peel is "very rough"... I will try sanding it smooth to see if that helps..

thanks to all for the good tips.
killswitch505
BBQ Super Pro

tinovr wrote:
Maybe we can roll out the pizza on parchment and put that directly on the stone? or will the stone be too hot?

i use parchment on mine and i don't feel like i lost anything by using it (i don't really know if I'm losing a flavor by it not being on the stone directly) my thoughts on the stone is that its acting as a heat sink. i roll my dough out on the parchment make the pizza on it then put it directly into the oven super easy process when it comes out i put it on top of the stove cut and serve when I'm done i just throw the mess and parchment away keeps the wife from cleaning another plate (but i'm a little OCD about things sometimes. one less plate saves me water, soap and time and that time i spend here on the ring Wink )
Thumper
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mar 29 2011    Post subject: semolina and bread flour Reply with quote

I use a 50/50 mix of semolina and bread flour on my wooden peel. I open the skin, place on peel, shake to make sure it isn't sticking and launch onto the stone.

Here is a good forum link on pizza making if you are intrested.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php
roxy
BBQ All Star

I am thinking you are not flouring your dough enough when you start to flatten it out. You got to make sure it is well coated with flour so it dont stick to nothing, counter, your hands or a peel.. I like a 50/50 flour corn meal mix and a good bit tossed over the peel before you place the dough should keep it fluid.. also, there is a move, like a wiggle shake that you do to get that pie to slide off..

Good luck and like BBQ.. it takes practice, practice and more practice.. and when you are sick of it all.. still more practice.. but the good news is you get to eat lots of pizza in the process.. Wink

My wish list includes a wood fired pizza oven in my back yard..
LIAR #100
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

Quote:
My wish list includes a wood fired pizza oven in my back yard..

Me too Roxy!

Not to Hi-jack, but there is someone here advertising a Weber insert for Pizza's.
Inner10
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mar 30 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

I'm not sure what to tell you, I typically flour the peel, build the pizza on it then shift it back and fourth and make sure it slides effortlessly. I prefer wood to metal.
Basset Hound
BBQ Fan

I use the EXO Super Peel and it's awesome. It is cloth and the beauty is you can take your time and build right on the counter top. You don't have time concerns like with cornmeal. My wife bought one for me after an "incident" with some raw pizza dough. I use it on a pretty wet dough and have had no issues except making a pizza too wide.

B.H.

Primo Oval XL
tinovr
BBQ Pro

oh.. I KNOW the types of "incident" to which you refer.... hahaha Laughing

Mine usually ended up with a Nolan Ryan fastball into the trash can from dough not cooperating being stretched out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Bread Baking All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: