FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

minion method

View previous topic :: View next topic  
xcount10

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27 11 11:44 am    Post subject: minion method Reply with quote

if i fill my fire box w/ 2 bags of charcoals like i do w/ 1 bag in my chargriller then add wood as i see fit for the smoke will it burn 6-8 hrs. like i do w/ 1 bag in my chargriller and i'm talkin' bout the minion method
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27 11 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xcount10, I am not understanding the question. Do you get 6hrs. of burn time now with one bag of charcoal or are you looking to try the minion method and get 6hrs. of burn time with two bags of charcoal?
Personally I have never had good luck with the minion method in an offset, the reason being to keep the cooker at between 225 to 250 requires a small hot fire with enough intake air to maintain it. The bottom line is the basket ends up fully lit and an inferno occurs.

Hybrid Cooker
icecoldkicks
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28 11 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont know if this helps, but heres an artical/link on how the minion method was invented,used & why! http://www.seattlepi.com/food/135677_minion20.html
the best advice i can give you is to play around with ur charcoal trying different techniques including the minion method and get it the way u like it, & once u find what works, dont change it!

Slow & Low, That is the Tempo!!
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28 11 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The minion method is newer version of older techniques, that folks had been using for hundreds of years before hand.

Here fore example is an article about banking a fire, http://www.ehow.com/how_4714687_bank-fire.html there are thousands of people that learned to control the fire overnight, because you didn't want to have to either lay a new fire or work hard to revive an older fire.

You need, fuel, heat and oxygen to maintain a burn, if you add too much you get a flare up, if you take too much away of anyone of them, the fire goes out.

Good luck with your practice, keep records, and let us know what works for you and what doesn't! Wink

I still work here!
icecoldkicks
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28 11 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for clarifying that for me SoEzzy, mr minion was definently in the spot light when his self proclaimed found technique was noticed, but probably was not the pioneer of the method! being we've been eating under fire and coals for thousands of years! Laughing

Slow & Low, That is the Tempo!!
xcount10

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29 11 2:44 am    Post subject: minion method Reply with quote

hey kam how you doin' i take a bag of charcoal fill my chimney starter full then dump the rest in the fire box on top of the grate in the bottom it leaves 2 inchs of air under the unlite coals i make a bowl shape out of the coals and move any coals out of the way of the air intake when the chimney is fully lite i dump them in the bowl shape i made add 2-3 junks of wood close set the dampener about half closed or so and it burns slowly for agood 6 hrs. during that time i add more wood chuncks to get the right amount smoke on meat it stays right around 250 deg. the whole time and the stack is wide open
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: