FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My 280 Gallon Reverse Flow Project
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
icecoldkicks
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26 11 2:51 pm    Post subject: My 280 Gallon Reverse Flow Project Reply with quote

Hello Everybody! Earlier in the winter i scored a 287 fluid gallons propane tank & 7/16" thick 31" in diameter & 8 1/2' long and cut it open, since then my shop has flooded twice & my job has kept me at bay. So anyway, finally, i have had a little time from work, so i figured i'd get on it! im really excited to finally get down on this project because its somthing ive been working up to through working with steel! I also have invited my buddy Chris to help me along with this project. getting it in the shop was easy, what will be interesting is, will be getting it outta the shop! theres no Garage Door, just a door thats just a little wider then the tank Rolling Eyes should be fun!

It was cool getting the tank mounted today on 2 24"X4'x1/4" pipe as my stands mounted and tacked. one was an old smoker that i had built and then i decided that i ddnt like it so i chopped it back down to the pipe and 2 ends, u will see it as one of the stands, im eventually going to actually use that pipe as the fire box! that ole scrap is gonna really come in handy in the end! as for lifting that tank-->>
Confused Shocked Geeeez this things heavy! im cutting the doors open tomarrow, hinges, & some framing for the shelfing! This projects gonna be a DoooooZy

Slow & Low, That is the Tempo!!
Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26 11 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

icecoldkicks You are starting the project with pics, that is the first order of the day. Good deal. Looking forward to another build here, looks like a fun one which is second order of the day, enjoy. Getting it out of the shop? Why worry about that now? Laughing Minor detail. There are more important things to do. Eventually, Jethro Gibbs will reveal how he gets his boats out his.
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26 11 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

icecoldkicks, this is gonna be a fun build to follow. Very Happy I look forward to watching your skills come together on this one, that tank is a beast. Very Happy Just remember if the shop door opening is 30 1/2" chances are real good it wont stretch to 30 3/4" without a fight. Laughing

Hybrid Cooker
JULIUS

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27 11 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea of the pipe stands.
TrailerBuilder
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27 11 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

icecoldkicks, that thing is going to be an awesome beast when its done. I look forward to watching the tank come to life and start putting out some good Q!

I will say that I build a little 8' enclosed trailer in my garage one time. Tall top! Didnt really give a ton of thought to the "gettting it out of the garage" theory. I wont go into details of how it finally made it outside, but I will just say, "where theres a will, theres a way!"

Good luck on your project, this will be a fun one to watch.
icecoldkicks
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27 11 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK folks, im feelin kinda stupified here! the tank is 17/64 thick & not 7/16 thick the stamp that they put on the actual tank says manufactured 1954 in Los Angelas gives all the pressure, gallons, thickness, etc. and the thickness part was rubbed down making reading hard! i puta tape measure to it and it looked like your old quarter plate steel, so i looked at the stamp again & sure enough,it says 17/64 Laughing WoWzas my 1st calculations were way off! when in doubt reading doesnt work, use the ole tape measure! Duh!!!!!!!

icecoldkicks
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27 11 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wreckless wrote:
Getting it out of the shop? Why worry about that now? Laughing Minor detail. There are more important things to do. Eventually, Jethro Gibbs will reveal how he gets his boats out his.

LoL, Wreckless I agree, i have been tryin to think this one out for a while!(a couple of years) but as u said, theres more important things to worry about! and as i have always done, i just put myself in the moment then worry bout the next steps later! sittn around thinnkn bout it, definently wont geter done! Thanks for lookn!

icecoldkicks
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27 11 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrailerBuilder wrote:

I will say that I build a little 8' enclosed trailer in my garage one time. Tall top! Didnt really give a ton of thought to the "gettting it out of the garage" theory. I wont go into details of how it finally made it outside, but I will just say, "where theres a will, theres a way!"

Good luck on your project, this will be a fun one to watch.

LOL TrailerBuilder, ur gonna have to tell me the details some day on how u got that thing out of the garage, sry to laugh,but thats some funny SH*T i hope u didnt tear up the ole garage too bad! one of the problems with the door & its location, is that the electric box is just to the left of the door! and no room to the right, so cutting the door out or adding a nice roller door there like i would like to do is out of the question! but like KAM said, the door size is not gonna get any smaller! so i will have one whole inch to work with! Rolling Eyes

KAM thanks for keepn an eye on me! Lord knows i will be needing it!

Julius those 2 pipes did turn out to be just perfect size for the tank to rest on while i work on it! i welded the tanks feet on there nice and strong to keep that big boy from slipping any which way! it kinda looks like the old Flintstones car in the old cartoon but yes, its gonna work! b
Thanks for lookn guys! i got the doors drawn up yesterday & spent some time shopping for a new air compressor for my plasma cutter, grinder wheels, 9" grinder at the pawn shop & i also just picked up a brand new oxy accetaline pipe cutter tool from the internet & just showed up as well! new toys are always cool! and im taking today to clean house wash clothes --> house chores! and will be back at it all day monday! more pics coming monday night or tuesday morning!

ChuckieD
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29 11 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

icecoldkicks,
Ok, I was hooked at the door size. Very Happy Laughing
It's going to be fun following your build as the boys already mentioned...
Getting a cooker that size out of the shop has me wondering also. Confused
Good luck with this build & I'll be watching your thread bro! Cool

Big Green Egg XL
UDS build
The Old Brick Barbecue Project!
icecoldkicks
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03 11 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, yall havent heard from me in a while because ----->actually yall wont believe it! or maybe u will! The Sh*tty Mad City of Seattle Mad just called my folks & said that the neighbors thought i was running a business outta my hobby metal fabrication shop! so the city came out and saw it wasn't a real ligit business, but they thought thats what i was working twords! so i was basicly shut down at my shop & my pops was crying and so disapointed because he needs me close cuz they are getting old and need me around, and by having a hoby shop in the back yard of his house, im able to do home fix it projects for him, yard stuff or trips to the store, plus he was so proud watching his son finally blossom into what i have become these days! we'll just say i didnt follow the yellow brick road when i was younger, not making the rite decisions like running with the rong crowds, things like that! ooooooooh, i was so upset, for i have NEVER seen my old man cry before! so i have beeen searching for a real shop and yesterday i found 1050 square feet with a gantry crane all the plug ins that i need & very close to dad for $1 a square foot! im moving in Monday or Tuesday--> like tomarrow!!! i didnt have to pay a lease or rent in my old shop, but there was no extras like the crane, or the door that will allow a trailer! so i guess im just in the middle of evolution with myself & i have decided to take this beganing hobby of fabricating bbq smokers & im goin into full time business! I just quit my job to do shop time full time! im skidish on funds! & my rent in the new shhop will be paid up for 6 or 7 mnths advance with the savings that i had! & this means that im gonna be bangin out 10 & 12 plus hour days to get this STARSHIP up & running! plenty of pics coming on this trailer build as soon as i get moved into my new career shop & new custom pitts bbq building shop! Im pissed off & excited all at the same time, but I couldnt stand to see my Father crying! it was just horrible! made me just want to clober sombody really bad! so i went and did the next best thing---> rize to the occasion and make my dad even more proud of me then ever before! now its time to BANG OUT BBQ's! Pics coming soon ! frustrated! Confused

Last edited by icecoldkicks on Fri Aug 05 11 8:05 am; edited 1 time in total
njtarter
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03 11 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well thats a tough break about the city shutting down your personal shop - not sure how that works legally but laws and regs are different everywhere you live.

Good luck on taking the pit building pro
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03 11 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WTG, take it to the limit, and go where no pit builder has gone before, good luck!

I still work here!
ChuckieD
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03 11 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Icecoldkicks,
I hate it when the city picks on the guy that is doing nothing wrong… sometimes I wonder what they are thinking,
I see obvious and illegal stuff going on all over my town and the city is aware of it and they do nothing… Rolling Eyes
My friend is a retired cop and lives a half mile away from an obvious chop that runs 24/7 and the city has known about it for five years… They have done nothing. Rolling Eyes
A guy builds a couple of cookers and all he!! Breaks loose! Shocked They walk in see you are doing nothing wrong and decide to find something wrong!
And what really chaps my a$$ is it probably took a single phone call, from one nosey neighbor. Rolling Eyes
If I have a problem and call a city agency… forget it, no help at all, just wasted time. Rolling Eyes
This kind of thing makes my blood boil… Twisted Evil
I have nothing against city or state workers.. its how the system works... thats what gets me all nutted-up! Laughing
Ok… I’m going to calm down, my rant is over. Mr. Green

I’m glad you got your new business and shop going and wish you well bro! Cool

Big Green Egg XL
UDS build
The Old Brick Barbecue Project!
Tony
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03 11 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Icecoldkicks..Yuh know what?

If that's the Best Punch Your City had in Their Glove, then Ya'll took it on the Chin and shook it Right Off! Cool

This was all supposed to happen anyhow! Wink

When Sh!t has happened around here to Me( And believe me,It Has Happened!) The Missus always reminded me, "One Door Closes but Another door Opens."

And THAT DOOR was the one to your new shop! I know that I speak for more than a few others here when I tell 'Ya that the Road You're travelin'
right now is just where You're supposed to be.

Kick A$$, Dude! Hug Dad and Tell him 'Ya Love Him!

He!!, Hug 'em and tell him We All Here Love Him Too! Laughing Wink

Good Luck and Best Regards,

Tony Very Happy
Oregon smoker
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03 11 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fock that chit!
Repeal it and make them pay for your current rent for a few months.
Find out who the neighbor is and if you catch his dog crappin in your yard return it to his front step. And best of luck with the new endeavor.
Having lived in Seattle, what neighborhood is it that gave you troubles? Some are better than others as to minding their own business.
That is the one thing i love about my current hood, neighbors got questions i got gifts for em immediately and they dont look twice or even think about bothering me.( burned out a barrel last summer during a city wide burn ban, mid day clear as a bell. completely easy to tell where all the nasty black smoke was coming from, nobody said chit, including LEO who has had a sample of some ribs)
In the future dont let them in if they dont have a warrant or reasonable suspicion. Private property thing and mind your own f-ing business thing....
What they have done is scared up tax revenue via forcing you to make a snap business decision that may or may not float but they will get their fees regardless. Pricks!
When you get the business license i would ask pointedly if they will leave your residence alone as it is a hobby shop or if they are going to continue focking with that. IF they say they will still miss with it ask for the city code number and the complaint number. Find a savvy lawyer and make the neighbors life hell.
As always i hope everything works out well and rather than posting a picture of kisses from a dog that your about to cook it is some hot chicks your about to bang on the big azz pile of money that you made in a year cause your neighbor was a prick...

Off the soap box....
Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool
#3 LIAR
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03 11 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

icecoldkicks, stay the course my Friend. Very Happy I hate it when I here a city steps in and abuses their power all for a couple of disgruntled neighbors. I would have to go to the city council and in public forum bring my accusers up front and call their bluff. At least you will know who the person with a problem is and maybe have this turned around. The sad fact is most of this was probably done as a favor and the folks that can help you may not be aware of what is going on. It is real easy for code enforcement to send out a letter of demand when in fact its just a bluff and they know it. I am glad that your staying close to help out your Mother and Father those are stand up priorities in my book.
All the best my Friend. Very Happy
Kevin

Hybrid Cooker
TrailerBuilder
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03 11 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

icecoldkicks, best of luck on the new adventure. There will be a ton of hard work and long hours involved in getting this project off the ground, but your hearts in the right place and you will do just fine!

Neighbors with nose troubles are no fun at all. Been there done that! I have 10 great neighbors and 1 pain in the arse! I did a couple background snoops on him and called his bluff, now we just wave and fake a smile when we see each other. There is always ways my friend!

Good luck man, pulling for you on this one for sure!
icecoldkicks
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05 11 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the kind words guys! i'll be signing the 1 year lease today & completly moved in by wensday! Wink i took 1 quarter of metal fabricating in school 4 years ago & learned how to weld, inbetween that time i purchased all the tools i would need to create a shop. i then decided that thats what i wanted to do for the rest of my life is to build custom cookers! Well, heres my calling!!! CaCaw CaCaw!!! Cool pics of the new shop and progress on the ole 280 gallon that i started last week! Bumps in tha road is all it is! soon to be water under the bridge!!!

icecoldkicks
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07 11 2:26 pm    Post subject: Pics of the new shop Reply with quote

this is the look at it from the front doors 1095 square feet & i can fit a trailer through the doors too!

Heres a look at it from the back wall, the tables are'n part of the shop

My new Crane!!!!!!!!! I guess i wont be moving things around like the Egyptians did back when the pyramids were being built!

my new Loft & screw off and go lay down & sit on a computer spot & post pics of what im doing! this loft is like a 8x10

I leased it for a year at 77 cents a square foot! payed it up front for 6 whole mnths! now i got 6 mnths to come up with some product, with the minimum of tools, but enough tools to buils anything! its just not a shop with all the big tools that i will have some day! remember, i only was working in a small back yard shop where all the tools packed the whole shop in! now i can have concerts i have so much space! LOL

NW Custom Smokers
LOL here it goes,Im gonna give it my best shot!!

Last edited by icecoldkicks on Sat Apr 16 11 2:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
jetfixer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08 11 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

love the wood stove on the smoker. good luck with the new shop . Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: