FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

insulated tubing

View previous topic :: View next topic  
farmboy236

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28 11 9:14 pm    Post subject: insulated tubing Reply with quote

Here's a stupid question for yall. When you use 2" tubing to frame your smoker do you fill the tubing with insulation or do you just leave a dead spot with no insulation? It seems like there would be considerable heat loss where two angles met.
rocam69

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29 11 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I dont think most people insulate the tubing but on the otherhand what do you have to lose. your building it for yourself why not overkill?
Salt Creek Bar-B-Que
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29 11 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We used 3" tubing in the corners of mine for a backwoods clone and did not insulate them. I wish we would have!!! I am trying to figure out how to take the bottom off without making too big of a mess and stuff insulation up them. Hot enough there I can't touch the firebox area, and very warm on the corners of the cooking chamber. Insulate anything and everything you can!!!
Smokin Mike
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30 11 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be nice if there was some sort of loose fill type isulation that could be poured into the tubing. My first thought was vermiculite but that stuff has been banned. I'm not sure if there's an alternative.
rocam69

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30 11 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im thinking when you cut your tubing you could stuff in a bat style insulation with a broom handle before you weld it all together. mcmaster carr has a mineral wool in a loose fill that maybe a possibility. just some thoughts.
dawg
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30 11 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

why not sand?
gbque
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30 11 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got an insulated vertical in the works and I thought about the same thing. I used 1-1/2 square tubing to build my wall thickness. I didn't insulate the tube because I figured the main transfer of heat would be though the metal and not the airspace. Not sure if that was the right thinking but it's too late now. I just don't see how stuffing insulation in the deadspace would really cut back on the heat transfer through the tube since all sides are connected.
Michael B
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30 11 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salt Creek Bar-B-Que wrote:
We used 3" tubing in the corners of mine for a backwoods clone and did not insulate them. I wish we would have!!! I am trying to figure out how to take the bottom off without making too big of a mess and stuff insulation up them. Hot enough there I can't touch the firebox area, and very warm on the corners of the cooking chamber. Insulate anything and everything you can!!!
I am not a builder, so please bear with me if I am totally off base here.

Is the purpose of insulating the tubing to contain heat within the cooker, or to not burn yourself?

If it is to keep the outside cool, wouldn’t it be more effective to leave the tubing ends open? At least on the vertical corners, as the tubing heats up it would create a chimney effect that would draw cooling air up from the bottom of the tube and out the top. Also, if it is only the corner support tubes, I wouldn’t think it would lower the efficiency of the cooker all that much. (?)
rocam69

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30 11 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think if it a real problem for you do what I did, I didnt build my vault clone using tubing I built it all out of 14ga. I dont know your fab skills and not sure what type of tools you have access to but its a thought. what about putting a rigid insulation on the outside of the tubing?
Riskdude
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30 11 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a shot during construction of my insulated vertical. It is double walled and I actually did jam insulation in the 1 1/4 tubing before final assembly. I am not sure if it really helps or not, but I figured it could not hurt and there are several tubes around the chamber and I had the insulation!

Good Luck with your build.
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01 11 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With all the talk of tubing getting hot I wonder why you do not frame out with angle iron. you simply build a frame out of angle iron and attach angle iron uprights in the inside corners leaving the angle iron width as a void this will allow you to put insulation 100% in all places. The frame would also be a lot lighter. Just a thought I had. Smile

Hybrid Cooker
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: