FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My first UDS Build (WIP few pics)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mossberg

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17 11 6:23 am    Post subject: My first UDS Build (WIP few pics) Reply with quote

So after getting most of the parts I needed, and with the weather finally warming up *crosses fingers* I decided to start on my first UDS Build.

This is what i cook/smoke on right now

Here is my build thus far. Thinking of cutting about a 8-10" "tall boy" extension from the bottom drum. As i dont have a weber kettle lid. (any take on that)

Marked the spot for 4 3/4" holes 2 inches fro the bottom

Holes Drilled

No bung so i drilled 6 7/8" holes for exhaust.

Thats all I got for now. Kinda ran out of juice on my drill so i gotta wait for the batteries to charge up again. Saturday comes the rest of the drilling for the rack bolts, the thermo, and then to burn it out. One question i have is, What do you do to "burn" the top lid. so i just sand it down, or is there a way i can burn that in the fire without it warping?

My Toys:
UDS Build
Royal Oaks 30" deluxe BBQ
Char-Broil Charcoal H2O Smoker
UDS
Smokin' Hoglegs
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17 11 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lookin good Moss!

You planning on using magnets over the intakes?

The xtra tall thing ought to work out for you, I think k.a.m did that for Mrs. k.a.m.'s drum.

I use an old lid to set my chimney on to light, and also for a D.O. table, the epoxy is pretty well cleaned off Wink

I burned the hell out of two drums the other day and still had a good bit of stuff to clean off the inside. P.I.T.A., but you'll see that for yourself soon enough! Laughing

Have fun, and hurry up so we can see how she cooks!
smokey joe
CI
GeorgeH
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17 11 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some folks on this forum use the lid from this grill and the grid as one of the shelve and maybe even the smaller grid as the bottom of the basket. If you have a Big Lots store near you, this might be a bargain. I would measure the lid before you buy it to make sure it fits your drum. All drums vary somewhat in size.

http://www.biglots.com/search/product/2623

See this topic on the forum:

http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=36151&highlight=uds+lots

George
Mossberg

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17 11 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, magnets for me. I was thinking of using nipples and a ball valve, but i can only find galvonized nipples, so i decided the magnets would be my best bet. i am also gunna drill 2 holes in the tall boy so i can put a spit thru it and make some rotisserie chickens and maybe a red chile brown sugar glazed beef roast.(dont knock it till yoi try it) when i do it ill post pics of course

Thanks for the biglots idea, ill chrck it out

My Toys:
UDS Build
UDS
Smokin' Hoglegs
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17 11 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh did you say red chile brown sugar glazed beef roast? Sign me up for that!

Yeah your local Home depot only has galvie nipples in the plumbing dept, but you can go two isles over to the fittings and get brass, or check out a real mom and pop type hardware store or fire sprinkler outfit and get some black iron.

Of course magnets work just as good I guess!
smokey joe
CI
Mossberg

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17 11 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes i did say that. I did it in my oven a few years back when i started experimenting with food.

Take your red powders, (1/2-1 tbps each cayenne, paprika(smoky) red chile powder) i liked it a bit spicy, add brown sugar 1 cup, mix then together. coat your roast with mustard or something else to keep the "rub" on the roast. Let it set 12hr to overnight. and then roast it however you want to. did it in the oven put it in there at 500 for 5min a pound, then i shut off the oven, left the door closed for about 3hrs. Left a nice crust and it was med rareish... That was some good eats...

My Toys:
UDS Build
UDS
pxc

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18 11 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the Big Lots grill and am using the bottom portion for the lid. I wanted the extra height. The metal is pretty flimsy so be aware of that.
Mossberg

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18 11 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah last time i was there i saw them, dodnt like how thin they are. I found my grill racks at menards for 8 each, but they are sold out and dont know when they are getting them back in.

Expando is in the mail $25 for a custom 3/4" #9 8" by 55" sheet. I search all the junk yards and shops around me and NO ONE had it, so i went the next best route of internet searching. Im going to use one of the cooking grates from my charbroil H2O smoker as the base of the coal basket. What should i use as a handle for the coal basket? I was thinking of one of those coat hanges from a dry cleaner that have the cardboard tube in the middle. Looks like the hooks would fit perfectly in the openings of the expando, and could be unhooked once the coals are in place. Anyone have any better ideas?

My Toys:
UDS Build
UDS
Mossberg

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23 11 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I got my expando in the mail today. Was stoked, then I looked outside and its pouring down rain plus I had 2 hours before I had to be at work. So looks like the build will have to be postpned another 2 days.

I have discoverd a slight problem. I cannot find hog nose clips ANYWHERE. Ive checked all the home depots, menards, lowes around my area and nothing. SO my question is since I cant weld, and dont have hog nose clips what can/should I use to attach the expando to the grill rack? Would bailing wire work?

My Toys:
UDS Build
UDS
OATMEAL

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23 11 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep up the good work Mossberg, it will all come together. As for your question, one of the more experienced guys will have to answer that one for ya.
Proetus
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23 11 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my rings and pliers from Tractor Supply Store.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/livestock/livestock-equipment/cattle-handling/hills-hump-hog-ring-2221864

see if there is one around you. I also got my ss bolts/nuts there as they were cheaper then HD/Lowes.
Mossberg

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27 11 4:56 pm    Post subject: My first UDS Build Updated 3-27-11 Pics Reply with quote

Got my coal basket put together and stripping most of the paint out of the drum, have work tomorrow so it looks like its gunna have to wait a few days before i can take a wire brush to it. ts 350am and the wife is sleeping, dont think its a good idea to fire up the drill.
Edit: it was about 22 outside so i didnt feel like going out there to do this.
I had to use a non-caustic, non toxic, paint stripper because Its not quite legal to light a big ole fire in the middle of West Milwaukee, esp when im on a busy street. So here she is, stripped as much as i could.

Coal basket is 15" wide, and 8" tall, im sure that would hold enough fuel for a few butts. maybe some ABT, and Backs... Course the Fatty is the first thing ima smoke up!!!

My Toys:
UDS Build
UDS

Last edited by Mossberg on Mon Mar 28 11 2:17 pm; edited 2 times in total
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27 11 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mossberg, your cooker is looking fantastic nice work on the basket. Very Happy I will suggest you get another grate and mount it 90 to your existing one to form squares this will keep your partially burnt fuel up and not fall through the slits and into the ash. I look forward to seeing some more pics and updates. Very Happy

Hybrid Cooker
icecoldkicks
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28 11 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

im interested in what ur doing, i have a few of these to pump out for friends who are barking up my tree for smokers, it sure seems like a very easy/cheap way to go, also very effective method for slow cookin, awsome gift for friends! Wink ur work looks great!

Slow & Low, That is the Tempo!!
Mossberg

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28 11 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

k.a.m. wrote:
I will suggest you get another grate and mount it 90 to your existing one to form squares this will keep your partially burnt fuel up

Thanks k.a.m. i was thinking of just interlacing some of the bailing wire theu it to make the openings smaller, but adding that extra rack would be easier. I am using my old char-broil smoker as parts already took the one rack from it, i guess this just means ima have to take the other rack from it and then open and assemble my new charbroil.... *snaps fingers* what a bummer.... haha

icecoldkicks wrote:
im interested in what ur doing, i have a few of these to pump out for friends who are barking up my tree for smokers, it sure seems like a very easy/cheap way to go, also very effective method for slow cookin, awsome gift for friends! Wink ur work looks great!

Its a fun project, this is honestly my first build of anything other than model ships when i was a kid. haha. So it's worth it for me. so far its cost me about $120ish to make. Id say about $130 total once everything is completed.

My Toys:
UDS Build
UDS
ChuckieD
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29 11 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mossberg,
Your cooker is looking great bro! Very Happy
Your basket looks good too! Cool

Big Green Egg XL
UDS build
The Old Brick Barbecue Project!
Mossberg

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29 11 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chuckied wrote:
Mossberg,
Your cooker is looking great bro! Very Happy
Your basket looks good too! Cool

Ty, Ty, Not bad for being a 230am project huh??? haha.

My Toys:
UDS Build
UDS
Mossberg

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01 11 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EDIT: Took your advice k.a.m. and doubled up the racks on the bottom with a 90 twist on it. Also decided to say screw it with the burn and had fun... Enjoy... I know I did.

My Toys:
UDS Build
UDS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: