FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Alright guys you got me into this, First cook pics added
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
polishdon
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12 11 10:06 pm    Post subject: Alright guys you got me into this, First cook pics added Reply with quote

So I went and picked this thing up for $380. It's not exactly how I would like it, but for the price I thought it was a real good base to work off of.

Apparently the former owner used it as like a grill, with a warming box. The main tank has a small opening on one end and a larger opening on the other that they used for air flow and clean out. They would build the fire in the tank and use the box as a warmer. I'd like to use the main tank as a smoker and also keep the warmer box.

So I have a few ideas on how to accomplish this, but you guys have way more experience so I'm looking for your input.

My first idea is to remove the warming box from it's current location and move it higher on the tank. Then put a fire box under it, using the current tubes to connect it to the main chamber (DP clone), and create a new connection between the tank and warmer box. I'd have to seal the ends of the tank, but those openings are small enough and the steel is still there so I'm not concerned about that.

Another idea is to add a firebox to the end of the tank where it already has 2 openings. Problem with this idea is the firebox would be sticking out the side of the smoker and be pretty close to the tire, not sure it's feasible.

And the last idea is to remove the tank mounts from the frame, turn the tank sideways and put the firebox on the end which would then be in the back of the unit, not sticking out the side.

Open warming box

Remove the box here and put a firebox in it's place

Side view of opening in tank, possible firebox location

You can see the opening from tank into box at end of the shelf

Double Kettle Pizza Cooker
Current Trailer Project

Last edited by polishdon on Sat Apr 23 11 10:19 pm; edited 2 times in total
ckone
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12 11 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok here is what I see.

The two existing transfer tubes look small. The exhaust on the doors is strange.

I would go the DP route, remove warming box, build new firebox with warming box above. use the 2 existing tubes, plus 2 or 3 more evenly spaced between. relocate the exhausts to the firebox side of the tank, centered behind each door, and mounted low. Have the transfer tubes extend all the way to the other side of the cook chamber, with the last 1/4 notched open on the underside. (a variation from DP that I want to try, having already made a more traditional one)

Run the dimensions of everything through the build calculator and you will have you firebox size and know if 2 or 3 tubes are necessary etc.
Smokin Mike
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12 11 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sure looks like the same cooker that Adamski was looking at...
http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=48705&highlight=
polishdon
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12 11 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess it is Mike, small world.

Apparently everyone's experience is different. The guy Mike that sold it to me was super nice and when I offered $400 actually said he was going to tell me $375 since it was about a 2.5 hour drive for me. For lack of exact change reasons we setlled on $380 which I wasn't going to turn down.

Very Happy
Current Trailer Project
Smokin Mike
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13 11 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool! For what you're getting with the trailer, tank and all, it's worth the money (IMO). She may need a few mods and a good cleaning up but I believe you'll make a nice smoker out of her. Congrats and looking forward to following your progress.
polishdon
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13 11 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The more I look at it the more ideas flow. lol

What if I take the bottom off of that warmer box, and create a new "slide in" firebox? It would slide into the bottom of the existing box and still use those current pipes, but I could then also run another pipe or two from the firebox into a lower spot on the cooking chamber.

Then I'd have the ability to still use the top part as a warmer or smoke box by putting an adjustable opening between it and the new firebox.

I can't seem to get the pit calculator to work, but my chamber is 66 inches long and 21 inches in diameter. Would a rectangular firebox 18 inches high, 29 inches wide and 10 inches deep be big enough? I can make it deeper if need be.

I'd like to be able to build a charcoal pan in the bottom of the firebox and have a log rack above it.
Current Trailer Project
Smokin Mike
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13 11 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

polishdon, I'm getting 7,700 cu. in for the firebox. That's 19.75" cubed so your 18 x 29 x 10 comes up short. In my layman's opinion I don't think the pipes as they are would convey the smoke and heat from the firebox properly. Just the way they are positioned plus the elbow looks like a lot of restriction to me. Anything that you can do to allow the smoke to naturally convey itself into the cooker the better off you'll be.
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13 11 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

polishdon, congrats on your project. Very Happy I would gut all the stuff on the back side Re-pipe it with two 6" connector pipes and fit her with a firebox. I would also do as ckone mentioned and remove the existing stacks and replace them with two 6" stacks mounted on the rear of the cooker body.

Hybrid Cooker
killswitch505
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13 11 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

k.a.m. wrote:
polishdon, congrats on your project. Very Happy I would gut all the stuff on the back side Re-pipe it with two 6" connector pipes and fit her with a firebox. I would also do as ckone mentioned and remove the existing stacks and replace them with two 6" stacks mounted on the rear of the cooker body.

+1 words from the master
polishdon
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14 11 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a fool so I will take the master's advice. Very Happy

Now how do I go about cutting that box and pipes off the tank? I wacked them a few times with the sledge, but the welds are solid. Do I need someone with a torch to do this for me?
Current Trailer Project
polishdon
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14 11 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And another question. I have the room to put a decent size firebox, I wanted to make one something like 20 inches tall, 20 inches deep and 30 inches long. The problem I have is that no matter how big I make it, in order to run the pipes into the bottom of the cooking chamber, they're going to have to be 10 to 12 inches high from the bottom of the firebox. I assume I want them to be right at the top of the firebox though??

Any suggestions on how to make this work?
Current Trailer Project
ckone
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14 11 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

polishdon wrote:
I'm not a fool so I will take the master's advice. Very Happy

Now how do I go about cutting that box and pipes off the tank? I wacked them a few times with the sledge, but the welds are solid. Do I need someone with a torch to do this for me?

Or a sawzall, and some cutoff wheels on a grinder. torch will make less noise, and might be quicker.
icecoldkicks
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14 11 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

$380 bucks is a steal, i like the idea of turning it the other way & let the fire box be atthe end, but you would need to get a different trailer, or do some extra fab work on the existing trailer, all in all, i would think there would be more space to work with that way, but, theres many ways to tackle it, cant wait to see what u finally come up with polishdone, it should be interesting!! good luck Exclamation

Slow & Low, That is the Tempo!!
polishdon
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15 11 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the warmer box and pipes taken off. Took 5 new saw zall blades, but I was happy I could get it off myself.

So now I'm on the hunt for a firebox. I am hoping to find an 18 inch diameter or larger pipe or tank about 3 feet long. I can't believe that all the local scrap places won't sell me a small piece out of the piles they have, but that's for another thread.

So if I have a firebox that is 18 inches in diameter, and run the pipes out of it and into the cooking chamber at 10 or 11 inches will I still get the flow necessary? I'm real tight on space as you can see here and I imagine I want those pipes as low in the cooking chamber as possible, right?

Current Trailer Project
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15 11 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

polishdon, I would take the expanded metal box off Once the firebox is in place the basket size will be reduced to nothing anyway. If you take off the wall closest to the cooking chamber that will afford you more height for your connector pipes and bring you closer to the cooking chamber. I would just plug the two old connector pipe openings with some plate and grind smooth.

Hybrid Cooker
polishdon
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15 11 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

k.a.m. i did plan on taking that basket off, but even with that gone I only have about 16 inches from the trailer frame to where those existing pipe holes are. Those holes are right under the cooking grates so I'm thinking I need to be another 4 or 5 inches below those or preferably even closer to the bottom?

Thanks for everyones help so far, you guys are the best!!!
Current Trailer Project
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15 11 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

polishdon, this setup should work for you and allow you to use as large a firebox as you can find to fit the height. You can also cut the cooking chamber loose and raise it to fit your firebox needs. You are not tied to that height as long as you can cut her loose and raise her.

Hybrid Cooker
polishdon
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15 11 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again k.a.m.

I guess I will have to consider lifting the cooking chamber. If I can get someone with the tools to weld her back on I could put another section of 2 inch tube under each side to help my cause.

I'd really like the pipes to be as low as possible in the cook chamber as I'd like to be able to fit a water pan in between the pipes and the cooking grates.
Current Trailer Project
polishdon
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17 11 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I went to the scrap yard and they have some 15 inch diameter pipe that they will cut down to size for me. The issue is, if I'm using the ratio calculator correctly, I need about 9,900 cubic inches, and a 15 inch pipe 42 inches long will only give me 7418. How close do I need to be to that 9,900?

My cook chamber is 24 inches in diameter and 66 inches long.

I don't want to go much wider than 44 inches on the firebox as I'll be getting close to the tires, and I'd like to keep it as close to the cooking chamber as possible.

Found a guy here at work too that is going to help me with the heavier cutting and welding. We're going to try to lift the tank and put another piece of 2 inch tube under it to give me more room to get the pipes lower in the cook chamber. Very Happy
Current Trailer Project
polishdon
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17 11 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last night I got the rest of the basket off. Got a nice clean slate to work with now. That space between the 2 supports on the trailer is exactly 15 inches, perfect size for the firebox I want to attach. After looking at the DPP specs I think I'll be ok with a little smaller box than the calculator specified.

Also picked up some more 2.5" square tube so we can cut the cooking chamber off and raise her up a little more. This should get it up high enough so I can run the 4 inch pipes in 5 inches from the bottom of the cook chamber.

Current Trailer Project
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: