FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Chicago Electric MIG Welder

View previous topic :: View next topic  
eap0510

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09 11 7:11 pm    Post subject: Chicago Electric MIG Welder Reply with quote

I am looking to move up in the smoker world and start building my own pit.
I am eventually wanting to build a smoker out of an old propane tank say somewhere in the 200 - 300 gallon size tank. Again this is in the future not any time soon. Since I do not have a lot of experience welding I would actually buy a trailer already made. No point in making my own and put someone's life at risk going down the road.

I receive a Harbor Freight flier in the mail yesterday and I see that they have a 120 AMP, 230 Volt MIG on sale for $179.99.
Here is a link to the model I am talking about
http://www.harborfreight.com/welding/mig-flux-welders/120-amp-230-volt-mig-and-flux-welder-97503.html

I am also looking at restoring a 69 Roadrunner in the feature as well for you car guys out there. Again would this MIG do everything that I would need it to do for this project as well. On the car I would be mostly welding up holes in the body since the car use to live up North.

I do not have a lot of money to buy a big fancy MIG welder that is why I am on here asking. I know that Harbor Freight tools are not top of the line but when your poor you look for good deals even on cheap tools.

Thank you in advance,
-Eric
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09 11 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eap0510. I do not know a lot about wire feeds but I would think the machine will come up short on the cooker build. An example would be if you construct the firebox using 1/4" plate then you will be pushing the machine to its max and probably hit the thermal shut down quite a bit if it has one. The add says it will weld up to 1/4" using wire and gas and up to 5/16" using flux core but does not say how many passes you will need to achieve this so I would think beveling and multiple passes will be in order.
An example is a link to a Miller Matic 180, 60 more AMP's on the high side and will still only weld 1/4" but in a single pass. It also has a 30% duty cycle at 135 AMP's. I just do not want you to buy something that is going to frustrate you and not do what you expect.
http://www.millerwelds.com/products/mig/product.php?model=M00209
Here is the same machine in a Hobart brand.
http://hobartwelders.com/products/wirefeed/handler187/

Hybrid Cooker
Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09 11 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do cheap. It is not one of my better traits however. I have used a lower end model mig and a higher end. I was not having a good time at all with the lower end and I am like a kid in a candy store with the other. If you NEED to weld something, for sure, go with what will get you by. If you WANT to weld, make it enjoyable. Please note that you didn't choose a Yugo or similar to restore, the welder choice is on par with that.
ggarner
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09 11 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I were you, I would keep an eye on craigs list for a used miller, lincoln, or hobart. Those HF welders are a big POS.

I think you can pick up some pretty nice hobarts from tractor supply or something similar new for pretty cheap as compared to a new lincoln or miller and everyone who uses them seems to like them. Or else if you dont mind used (which will save you a lot of $$) like I said before keep an eye on craigs list.
eap0510

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09 11 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you everyone for your replies.

I was hoping that maybe this welder would work but from the sounds of it i would be making a big misstake purcahsing it.

I have been looking on craigs list but even used around my area it seems that everyone wants an arm and a leg for one.

Guess I'll have to keep on looking.

Thanks,
-Eric
TrailerBuilder
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10 11 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eap0510, I have a Miller 135, 110volt, runs on gas or flux. I dont use it much because I use my Miller 250 all the time. The small welders are great for body work or small projects. But, when it comes to big jobs with heavier steel, they are not useless, but darn close. The duty cycle on them kill you. You can be welding along and start getting in a nice groove and then it trips and your done! You have to wait till its ready before you can go again. I have welded 1/4 with mine before, and I have done it in one pass, but it was a long, slow, high heat pass with a lot of breaks waiting on the duty cycle to reset. An example I could make up that relates to cookers, a firebox, 1/4 plate, 24" long. If I was to make one solid pass (which I wouldnt Very Happy ) with my big Miller, a 24" weld, could be welded out in a couple minutes. With the smaller mig, 30 mins easy, maybe longer. The duty cycle sucks man!

Id say Craigslist is a good place to look, there have been some pretty good deals in my area over the past. I always look on Craigslist at cities within a couple hours drive for deals too.

Good Luck in your search!

Just my 2c worth
eap0510

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10 11 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrailerBuilder since I live right outside of Atlanta everything for me is a couple of hours away. Traffic here is horrible.

I've been looking on Craigs list but man when I see a welder that I know will do the listed it looks all beat up and they want like 650 bucks for it.
Since I am a poor man $650 it a ton of money to me.

I have definitely been keeping an eye on the listings.

Does anyone know of another site that I look at for a MIG welder?
I work in the IT field so I am willing to barter for the welder.

-Eric
TrailerBuilder
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10 11 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eap0510, I have to agree with you on traffic in Atlanta. It is not a nice place to drive for sure. Been there done that!

You might look around on Ebay and check out their classifieds as well. Ive bought a couple things via the classifieds on there that were to big to ship cost effectively. Might be a long shot, but you never know.

Good Luck!
animal
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10 11 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Harbor freight store down the road from me, the air tool and hand tools are OK, with the way sears is going I think they get them from the same place. But I have learned to stay away from anything with a power cord from them.
Smoke Hollow #5
Lang 48 D
Acorn Komado
And a couple of Weber kettles
Oz

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10 11 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eap0510, Call around to equipment rental stores, body shops, and mechanics shops. Sad to say many of these companies are out on a limb nowadays and will sell off equipment to make the rent.
Tell a welding supply store what you are looking for, they have people go upside down on equipment.
Do not be afraid of older CV power sources. I paid $800 for a 300 amp Hobart slightly used 8 years ago that still is running strong. Brand name MIG equipment in the 200 amp and above range don't wear out.
mutha66

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23 11 4:28 am    Post subject: Eastwood Reply with quote

Eastwood has some pretty decent welders.
Smokin Dawg

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27 11 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi eap510. Checkout craiglist in Athens and Macon.... also checkout a store called Retool ( one near Athens on Hwy 316). They buy, sell and trade new and used tool.
cajun

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11 11 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this site it has some great welders and Plasma cutters at a great price
http://www.longevity-inc.com/productdetail_30/Welding-Helmets/Skull-Red-Yellow-Flames.php Laughing
Oz

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11 11 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

5year warranty with dual drive rolls and pulse, that is a good deal for the price.
seanmurphy265

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18 11 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought one of the HF flux core welders from Tadd Wholesale off Ebay. I paid $40.00 shipped to my door, used it once, and relisted it back on Ebay and made $20.00! I'm not a fan of flux core gasless welding wire. I do owne their 80amp inverter arc welder and that thing is a little beast. I have no problems welding 3/8" steel with 3/32" rods; I have used 1/8" 6013 rods as well, but that is a stretch. I also like stick welding.
I have used 3/32" rods
7014 - which welds the best on sheet metal perfect for grills.
Inner10
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18 11 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you really have to ask if a 180 dollar HF welder is a good buy? Rolling Eyes
Smoke Key

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18 11 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using one just to tack my project together and, it is very frustrating. I am only doing it because I can run it on 110 in my little yard. Once I get it tacked, I am taking it to a friend's to use his stick machine. Buy a stick machine and learn how to use it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Welding All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: